Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
 What airframe for OS.20 4-stroke >

What airframe for OS.20 4-stroke

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

What airframe for OS.20 4-stroke

Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What airframe for OS.20 4-stroke

I just aquired an old OS .20 4 stroke engine that runs fantastic. Any ideas/suggestions what electric airframe would be a good candidate for converting from electric power to this little .20 4-stroke jewel? Leaning towards highly aerobatic/3-d models but will consider any cool, fun airplane.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What airframe for OS.20 4-stroke

I might try to encourage you away from the highly aerobatic / 3D model selection. The OS FS-20 is a beautiful little engine, but it is on the heavy side and not exactly a powerhouse. I picked up an FS-20 on eBay and then went looking for an airframe. I concluded that I could probably use any of the 450 to 480 sized electric planes with a bit of modification, but these are going to weigh 30-35oz when done. To get into 3D territory, you probably need the all-up weight to be not much more than 16oz., which puts you into the 400-sized electric planes. I suspect you would have trouble balancing them with the heavy motor. Personally, I am converting an E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 to glow using the FS-20. I expect it to fly a lot like a Taylorcraft. For a more aerobatic airframe, you might look at the EFlite Extra 480 or the Mini-Funtana.

For reference, the FS-20 is around 0.3HP which is about 230 Watts. The general rule for 3D is a minimum of 200W/lb. So if you can keep the total weight to say 16 to 20 oz. you will be in the right range. But with a 9.5oz engine, it does not leave you much for airframe and electronics.

Good luck with your project, let us know how it goes.

David

Old 06-09-2013, 02:26 PM

David, I think you're right about the highly aerobatic/3-D thing with the OS.20. Just not going to happen. Your Taylorcraft project looks interesting and maybe a Decathlon or similar airframe. I may look into something like that or even a large powered glider of some sort if I can find one or a kit. I also have to consider an airplane that might have to be hand launched due to thick/lush grass at my flying field...
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM

What do think about this airframe?? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 AM

The Hobby King Decathlon looks like a pretty good choice. It is marginally bigger and heavier than the EFlite Taylorcraft, but it probably won't need as much reinforcing to handle the motor vibration. Also, the price point is way better than any of the EFlite choices.

One of the guys in my club is also scratch building a 48" de Havilland Cirrus Moth biplane with an FS-20 for power. It will probably be even heavier still, but with the larger wing area I bet it will fly nicely.

Cheers
David
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM

I've got an old Flyline Great Lakes Trainer biplane that I built back in the 70s that has never been flown, Original plans called for a .15 to .25 engine and was debating on whether the little .20 4 stroke would be enough power. Thing is heavy with all that old "Ambroid" glue and epoxy. I think I may go with the Decathlon. It's got a semi symmetrical wing and should be decent for mild aerobatics. Believe it or not, I have had very good luck with Hobby King products in the past especially with their batteries and chargers. They also have some very inexpensive servos( 9 gram) that seem to work well on electric models and am wondering if their higher end servos ($15-$17) would work on a .20 size glow powered model.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that plane will be to big for that engine. The 20 isnt a very strong engine at all. If you really want a small 3d plane with a small four stroke then you need to get a saito 40 and run 35-45% nitro in it. i have run a couple of these in 45-50 ounce 3D planes. they will hover and pull out of a hover. I fly them with a ZOAR 12x5 or 13x4 (Electric prop). The electric prop isnt recommended but works well.

think of your FS 20 as a LA 15 in power. The reason I say that plane isnt a good choice is because of the size of the wing and plane. its just big. i will look for some planes for you. also I converted a couple of planes in this forum with the Saito 40
Old 06-11-2013, 01:50 PM

I'm not looking for a 3d plane now for the little .20 Just something simple and "Cub" like at this point. Not going to try to hover or torque roll it it. I've got several other models for that purpose. I figured the Decathlon is just a glorified Cub with a more desirable airfoil for basic stuff and small field puttering around.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Hi guys. I flew a GP Electric Cub with an OS FS20 in the late 80S and early 90s. I bought the airframe from a guy who built, and flew it as an electric. The twenty was just right for that airplane. I put 1/16 in ply on the firewall and fuel proofed it and put a 3 oz tank in the battery compartment. I used a Dave Brown long engine mount in it and had to add a few more degrees of down thrust to keep the nose down with full throttle. It flew great. I let one of my flyn buddies try it out one day and I couldnt get the transmitter back from him. He just had to have the plane as his own so I let him buy it from me. It was a great airplane engine combo. I think about all the fun I had with it a lot. In fact I now have a new GP Electric Cub kit and a another OSFS 20. One of these days I will have to build it. So many projects and so little time. Enjoy
Old 12-22-2013, 12:07 PM

I flew mine in a dynaflight butterfly back in the day . I flew 54 min on 4oz of fuel and came in with the motor running .
Old 12-22-2013, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (27)

Had one on a Sig Lt 25 would hardly take off and was really lacking. Sweet runner!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM

I had a LT25 with a 0SFS.26, I ran coolpower 30% and the engine ran good and the the plane flew great. I ran a APC 11x3 prop, that pulled it better than any other size prop I tried on the .26. The little FS.20 is nice runner but lacking in power its a great little engine.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:46 PM

Considering a Dynaflite Bird of Time sailplane. I had so much fun this summer with my Airtronics Olympic II with a little OS .15 for power. I'm thinking this combo would be cool as well and the kits are cheap as heck. The OS .15 took the Olympic II straight up and and almost out of sight in a matter of seconds .I could get 4 or 5 power launches that turned into 30+ minute flights on a single 2 oz tank of gas! Serious neck pain after that routine though
Old 12-25-2013, 06:35 AM

It was a great duration motor in a big plane . It would never load up or light out .
Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM

Default Ace Tiger Kitten

I'm running my OS FS-20 in my Ace Tiger Kitten. Great combo!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.jpg
Views:	1813
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	2001552