Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Great Planes Electricub to glow >

Great Planes Electricub to glow

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Great Planes Electricub to glow

Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Electricub to glow

I have a Great Planes Electricub I would like to convert to glow. I have never flown the plane, I bought it without a motor. I found out it is so flimsy that I had to be careful picking it up. I was breaking it just by handling it! I put a layer of 1/16 balsa on the elevator and a light coat of fiberglass resin on the bottom of the fuselage. I believe there is enough lift to handle the extra weight although I did not get to the wing yet to see what it may need. I did learn there is no washout built into it! I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I do not know anything about electric motors. Great Planes recommends an S-600 motor or a T600GD with a 2.5 – 1 gearbox. I was thinking of a little .15 glow motor for this plane. Do you think this motor will work? Any suggestions?

SPECIFICATIONS
Stock Number: GPMA0156
Wing Span:58.8 in (1490 mm)
Wing Area: 472 in² (30.4 dm²)
Wing Loading: 16-17 oz/ft² (49-52 g/dm²)
Weight: 3.3-3.5 lb (1475-1590 g)
Fuselage Length: 37 in (940 mm)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 15 might do it, IMO a 15 is a bit small.FP 20 would be good. I converted a GP Electro Cub a long time ago to an OS 20 four stroke, had lots of fun with it. I wound up selling it to one of my flying buddies and been missing it ever since. I have a new kit and another OS20fs that I hope to put together some time soon.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in 1990, the Electricub came in two versions, one as pure electric and a glow version which came with an OS .12CZ engine. The OS was a perfect engine for the Electricub. Since that CZ motor is no longer produced, a .15 engine would be a great choice, for scale power!

Best,
Tony