Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Katana F3A  120e Electric Pattern plane >

Katana F3A 120e Electric Pattern plane

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Katana F3A 120e Electric Pattern plane

Old 06-25-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katana F3A 120e Electric Pattern plane

Hello you Electric Experts: I acquired a "Kantana F3A 120e" Electric Pattern Plane. Fuse length 67.86 inches, Wing span 67.0 inches, weight 7.4 - 7.91 pounds. Motor recommended: Hyperion Z4035...

I want to convert it to a Glow Engine, such as a Magnun .91, 4-stroke or any other size. Question is? Can the Airframe handle it? Will it vibrate apart? Can it be done? I know I would have to beef-up the firewall being it only has a 1-ply, plywood..... Please advise.

Thanks you,
Warshop
Old 06-26-2015, 12:48 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had two of the pink/white Hyperion Katana F3A electric pattern ARFs. I have only flown them with the recommended electric set-up with a 8 cell lip set-up. I do not have much confidence that they would hold up to a nitro setup without serious modifications. They fly perfect on the stock setup.

Kurt Bozarth
Old 07-01-2015, 08:07 PM

I might recommend going with a two stroke engine simply because my two strokes seem to vibrate less that the equivalently powerful four strokes (but that may just be a trade of frequency for amplitude). #1 thing is to look at the place where you would mount the fuel tank and see if it will go where it needs to go or if you're going to have to rework the front of the fuse first. If the tank will fit then reinforce the firewall, cut the cowl for your engine and have at it! I've done a couple conversions now and these modern lightly built arfs can take more vibrations that I thought they would at first and luckily they are built so light that you can go with a smaller engine than in a lot of older designs of similar size and still have the same performance but with lower vibration and costs.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Although it's a different Hyperion plane altogether, I successfully converted my Hyperion Yak 54 40e from electric to glow . It was originally intended for a powerful 5s setup but I decided to use my OS 55ax instead. The plane is a joy to fly and balances perfectly running on fuel. I fly that bird every now and then so the price of glow fuel isn't necessarily a critical point. I reinforced the motor box and applied a generous amount of thin CA first and the thicker kind a day later for added strength. I never had issues with vibrations or other unwanted side-effects from the conversion.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM

Greetings everyone ! I'm going to kick this thread up a notch lol
im thinking of converting an extreme flight 60" extra 300 to gas. I want to put an evolution 10cc gasser on it. Think it will work.?
this is my first conversion so any pointers would be much appreciated.
happy landings !