Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

New Electronic fuel mix

Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Electronic fuel mix

OK guys that do engine conversions, please click on the link below and read about a new auto carb to regulate fuel mix. Maybe we can get a RC engine running with a system like this. Capt.n

http://www.stihl.com/the-world-first...injection.aspx
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM
captinjohn

Default RE: New Electronic fuel mix

More Data

The basis of this revolutionary engine technology is electronic characteristic mapping. The new aspect is that the ignition timing is not determined by engine speed alone but also by load. The electronically controlled injection system always determines the optimum ignition and fuel injection values for every operating state, and so you can expect top performance in every situation. With the new STIHL Injection system, compromising on engine tuning is a thing of the past. There is no need for a carburetor, or for any manual settings. The fully automatic engine tuning, which is optimized for power and consumption, guarantees you top-class power output at all times and for all tasks.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Nosedragger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cost,size, weight and complexity will keep it out of rc aircraft.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:03 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a computer controlled 50cc chainsaw back in the winter for a little over $400 including shipping new

These new computer controlled 500 series Husqvarna chainsaws use a resister version of the CM-6 spark plug, the NGK CMR6H
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 AM
earlwb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My electric cut off tool, basically is on or off, for throttle speed, it is either off or full throttle, no in between. So I wonder if the Stihl engine powered cut off tool is idle or full throttle as well, no in between. Thus the electronic fuel injection might be easier to setup if they don't need much of a throttle on it. That could make it difficult to convert to RC model airplane use.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 AM
w8ye

My Husqvarna 545 computer controlled chainsaw is as perfectly functional as all my other chainsaws except it has excellent mixture control even at midrange throttle settings.

These are like PIC computers in these and are contained in the plug between the carburetor mixture control and the magneto ignition module. There are no batteries.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM
captinjohn

w8ye, Does it look possible to convert a Husky 545 into a RC engine...for a airplane??? You know just in case a person found a good used saw that the chain bar broke off at the case! Thanks, Capt,n
Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 AM
w8ye

With the Husqvarna 545, the magnesium crankcase also includes the bar mount and oil tank. These would need to be removed and some mounting standoff's fabricated.

To utilize the auto mixture control, you would have to keep the flywheel/magneto ignition and come up with a prop hub

The existing carburetor would need to be retained which is plenty big..
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 AM
w8ye

One problem with these computer operated engines is that . . .

To observe the computer data logger, you will need the Husqvarna interface cable and software as well as a Windows 7 type Microsoft based lap top.

I don't have a computer like that as I use a Unix based operating system in my Asus lap top.

But I have not had any trouble with my 545 chainsaw either as it has been flawless.

To have followed the forums and comments on these for the last couple years, there were some (early on) carburetor replacements and at one time, production was held up about a month while some changes were made to the ignition coil.

Right now these are made in 50 & 62cc versions with the auto mixture control as Husqvarna 545, 550, 555, 560 & 562  and corresponding Jonsered chainsaw versions.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:01 AM
1967brutus

I know this is an old thread, but...

Just by coincidence stumbled on this thread, and I'd like to share that I am using part of the Stihl M-tronic technology for about 3 years now, it works like a dream, and makes use of the original standard glow carburettor and muffler pressure.
"System weight" under 15 grammes plug and play, currently testing an addition that takes ambient temperature and pressure (thus also altitude) into account.

I switched from methanol to gasoline about 6 or 7 years back, but exclusively use modified glow engines, most of them have not seen a drop of methanol from NIB, and most smaller than .90 cu.in.
Engines done so far with this electronic fuel control:
OS FXi 46
OS SF 40 (ringed)
Irvine 70 (at least, I believe it is that, no markings on the casing)
ASP FS 30
ASP FS 52 (several of them)
ASP FS 91
ASP 2-stroke 91
ASP FT160
ASP AR400
and those are only my private engines
For friends and clubmates I totally lost track, but I do remember the Saito 130 T (odd firing) and Saito 90T (even firing) that also run this Stihl thinghy.

So far brilliant results, super easy to start, very userfriendly and very clean running engines.

Due low postcount I am not yet allowed to post URL's, but anyone feel free to check my YT account "rigididiot". Basically everything more recent than 2016 that flies on there, runs on gasoline.
A good one to look for is "Electronic fuel control on 2-stroke with tuned pipe". The engine there is a 100% stock unmodified ASP 91 (the "cheap chinese crap") running on regular pumpgas. Just to show what is possible these days...

Flying small gasoline is not only very doable, it also runs basically as good as any glow engine out there.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 10-20-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:02 PM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

I just picked this up at a garage sale, and I have a Magnum 65 Id like to run on gas. As you see it has the glow plug size spark plug. What else do I need to run it? What oil/gas ratio, 32:1?
Yes I have a hall sensor, mount it at 28 deg BTDC?

Old 10-24-2021, 02:17 PM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by kamlooper View Post
I just picked this up at a garage sale, and I have a Magnum 65 Id like to run on gas. As you see it has the glow plug size spark plug. What else do I need to run it? What oil/gas ratio, 32:1?
Yes I have a hall sensor, mount it at 28 deg BTDC?
It has the glow plug size sparkplug, but not the suitable plugcap for it... So that is going to be an issue, unless there is one in the plastic bag (cannot see properly, but it looks like not. They look like caps for CM6 plugs to me). Replacing a plugcap is not really difficult, but mind you that you need a special soldering tin because braiding and cap are stainless.
Oil ratio in my opinion 10:1 or if you really insist, 15:1 but some say 20:1 is fine. Personally, I run 10:1 and have zero wear or deteriation in now almost 7 years. Good quality full synthetic 2-stroke oil, suitable for air cooled engines.
Ignition at 28 degrees indeed.
Is that engine a 2 stroke or a fourstroke?
In case of a 2-stroke: Use either the needle in the conventional location in the carb, OR in case of a remote needle, thermally isolate the needle from the engine casting.
In case of a fourstroke, you need to thermally isolate the entire carb from the engine. I normally do that by replacing the header-to head gasket by a suitable insulator, and also an insulator of same thickness between where the carb bolts to the engine.

You are going to need muffler pressure and a small "craptrap" in the muffler line (this can be any small gas-tight receptacle that catches the drab but allows the pressure to pass).

You are going to find a horrible rich midrange, you will have to correct that by carefully grinding the helical groove in the carb, like this:
https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/attach...30-jpg.211627/

or alternative, by electronic correction (Stihl M-tronic solenoid valve plus driver).
There is a lot of info on that over on RCGroups. I don't know if I am allowed to link to that thread?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	2271023  
Old 10-24-2021, 03:25 PM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

Yes its a 2 stroke, and the plug seems to fit in the cap just fine, and that is how I got it. I also tested it before posting, and it sparks nicely. Ill also have to figure out a magnet on the prop hub
Whats the horrible midrange, lean or rich?
thanks
Old 10-24-2021, 10:34 PM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by kamlooper View Post
Yes its a 2 stroke, and the plug seems to fit in the cap just fine, and that is how I got it. I also tested it before posting, and it sparks nicely. Ill also have to figure out a magnet on the prop hub
Whats the horrible midrange, lean or rich?
thanks
I would be highly surprised if that cap would fit the sparkplug, when the plug is fitted to the engine, but alas, if you say so I cannot dispute. Mine look a lot different though.

A glow carb used straight on gasoline usually shows a horribly rich midrange. It is possible to get "somewhat flyable" settings, but it won't be much fun and your plane will usually get extremely dirty.
One solution I forgot to mention: SuperTigre carbs are the only ones that usually allow for fairly decent settings on gasoline without any modifications, if you know how to set midrange. Some helicopter carbs also work relatively well, but that is a bit of a hit or miss affair: Some do, others don't, and I do not have a list of ones that do or don't.

PS: forgot to mention: magnet on the hub is simply a matter of drilling a radial hole in it and glueing a suitable magnet in, Preferrably using a slow-curing epoxy that reacts positive to temperature for curing. Cure at max 70 degC (160F).
Alternative a machined ring holding the magnet, that can be attached to the propdriver by one or two grubscrews.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 10-25-2021 at 02:26 AM.