Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

CDI using off the self parts

Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM
propellantchem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI using off the self parts

I don't know if anyone is interested in a simplier CDI ignition using COTS parts, but I'll throw this out.

Richporter Technologies makes a coil on plug unit that contains a useable cdi on a 1" circuit board.

http://www.amazon.com/Richporter-Tec.../dp/B008UOLASO

This is their C-642 coil on plug unit. By itself, very heavy and bulky, but it can be used as a source of parts.

Under the finned aluminum heat-sink is a small circuit board containing a voltage regulator(5V out, 50mA), PIC12F675 microprocessor, and a 350V, 20A IGBT.

To fire the coil, battery power is applied to the left most pin (coil output facing down), ground is on the far right. A positive pulse (like from a hall sensor, or magnetic pickup coil) is applied to the center to fire the coil. Never fire the coil without a grounded spark plug in the output end.

To remove the circuit board, grab the finned aluminum heat-sink and pry up gently. It likes to come off easiest on the end farthest away from the connection pins.

The PIC board can be reprogrammed using standard microchip assembly language and programmers, although it will work as is if you're not too fussy on timing curves.

I haven't tried to decompile one yet, but I might in the future if there is any interest.

Good luck,

PC
Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those do look really promising, I sort of like is as is for plugging into a RC gas engine to use. Granted it may stick out more, but it simplifies things a lot.
I assume it uses 12vdc for input power voltage.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:54 PM
propellantchem

Yes, apply 12V(+) to the left most pin, ground the right most pin and metal housing, then apply trigger signal (+5V, short pulse) to center pin.

Just remember these things are pretty heavy, If you just want a Coil On Plug that might actually fly, I'll find you a different part number.

Nice thing is you can run a plug wire from the coil to the plug so they don't stick out.

Here try this one instead, pin out is marked about half the weight and the hard plastic probe on the bottom can be removed for a regular plug wire.
http://www.amazon.com/Richporter-Tec...684571&sr=1-30

PC

Last edited by propellantchem; 09-08-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added link
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM
earlwb

These are quite interesting. Thanks for the idea about using them.
One thing though, is I doubt they have programming in them for spark advance or retard, so they would be a fixed timing setup then.
I think the main ignition computer in the automobile provided the +5v signal pulses to each COP unit, thus the computer could control the ignition timing then.
But then one could make and program a daughter board with a microcomputer on it to do just that too.

Last edited by earlwb; 09-10-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: add information
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM
propellantchem

Originally Posted by earlwb
These are quite interesting. Thanks for the idea about using them.
One thing though, is I doubt they have programming in them for spark advance or retard, so they would be a fixed timing setup then.
I think the main ignition computer in the automobile provided the +5v signal pulses to each COP unit, thus the computer could control the ignition timing then.
But then one could make and program a daughter board with a microcomputer on it to do just that too.

Well,... if you need to reinvent the wheel that sounds like a plan.

However here is the board with the microprocessor, voltage regulator and IGFET already built and heatsinked.

That is off of the RPT C-642 coil with a WE date code, looks like the new YH date code ones have different circuitry (different mfg plant) but they are supposed to have the same functionality but a different microprocessor onboard

Yea, it was a bit of a head scratcher to see a "smart" coil for the first time.

PC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0018.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	807.7 KB
ID:	1919617  
Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 PM
bluejets

I'd have to agree with Earlwb.

Unless this has somehow been "reverse engineered" then it would be almost impossible to say what the microcontroller has been installed for.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 PM
earlwb

Well they do have a microcontroller board that one can make and program. It is sort of public domain in a manner of speaking. So one could use it to drive the COP unit processor for generating the sparks.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 AM
bluejets

Yes,agree.