Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Walbro adapter for 40-60 size engines?

Old 07-24-2016, 01:24 PM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Walbro adapter for 40-60 size engines?

Hi,

I came across a few videos on YouTube today where people had converted their two-stroke glow engines to run on petrol, using a G5 plug and a Walbro carburettor.

I have tried running one of my glow engines on petrol with the G5 plug - with the glow carburettor - and it worked reasonably well except for the fact that the needles were too coarse to fine-tune the mixture. One click either way would make it too rich or too lean, to the point of not being usable for flight.

If I could mount one of the smaller Walbros to the engine, I think it would run beautifully on petrol.

Do you know of anyone who makes adapters that would allow a Walbro to fit on a glow engine around .40-.60 size?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:21 AM
bcchi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandal View Post
Hi,

I came across a few videos on YouTube today where people had converted their two-stroke glow engines to run on petrol, using a G5 plug and a Walbro carburettor.

I have tried running one of my glow engines on petrol with the G5 plug - with the glow carburettor - and it worked reasonably well except for the fact that the needles were too coarse to fine-tune the mixture. One click either way would make it too rich or too lean, to the point of not being usable for flight.

If I could mount one of the smaller Walbros to the engine, I think it would run beautifully on petrol.

Do you know of anyone who makes adapters that would allow a Walbro to fit on a glow engine around .40-.60 size?
Contact Adrien,At C&H Ignitions.
BCCHI
Old 10-07-2016, 01:04 AM
bogbeagle

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is one way around that problem, that I have used.

The carb is mounted to the firewall of the model.

A short stub pipe is inserted into the cylinder head, and a piece of tubing connects the two.

Works really well. Costs nothing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4346.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2184731  
Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
This is one way around that problem, that I have used.

The carb is mounted to the firewall of the model.

A short stub pipe is inserted into the cylinder head, and a piece of tubing connects the two.

Works really well. Costs nothing.
Interesting, although the OP was asking about 2C engine conversions, using the G5 OS plug. It looks like you have CDI? Perhaps the silicone tube connection could be used with a 2C engine by mounting the Walbro from a bracket supported by the engine mount. Then you have the issue of the pulse for the Walbro pump operation, but that has been addressed elsewhere.

Re the use of gasoline with YS engines, of course the gasoline will destroy the silicone regulator parts of the YS system, but I notice you have defeated that feature with a tubing bypass. Did you remove the silicone parts so the destroyed pieces do not get in the engine? How did you get the pulse for the Walbro? What oil and percentage did you use? Pictures/stats of the engine running? Thanks.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:16 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Interesting prospects, there are many glow engines around that are very inexpensive as folks are now replacing with gas. What Gas/oil mix is being used ???
Old 10-07-2016, 06:18 AM
bogbeagle

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Walbro pulse comes from the tapping which normally pressurises the fuel tank ... on that dreadful YS pressurised system.

Left the silicone regulator in situ, 'cos I don't use it. The engine uses normal aspiration, with a conventional glow carb mounted on a stub pipe.. a bit like a Laser engine. In my experience, petrol just causes silicone parts to swell up. Anyways, it hasn't proven to be a problem, thus far.

As I recall, I was using something like a 10% petroil mix.

The whole thing was just an experiment; the engine was subsequently re-converted to glow fuel. It did run very well on petrol, though.

Yeah, it would be a bit more tricky with a two-stroke engine, having a forward-mounted carb. Rear-induction types would be more appropriate.

There's a guy at our field who uses those special plugs. Same problem that all the conversions have ... carburation. A Walbro will very likely see you right. Prop clearance might be an issue, unless you are careful.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 AM
spaceworm

[QUOTE=bogbeagle;12265246]...
As I recall, I was using something like a 10% petroil mix..

QUOTE]

YS recommend 20 % oil, how long did the engine last with 10 % especially using less fuel (and less oil) than with glow fuel?

IMHO, you trashed a good engine that performs well and is not hard to tune/adjust using proper knowledge. But, that is just my opinion; not my circus, not my monkeys.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Richard,

Give the guy a break, it's his engine and I personally found interest in his post, who knows what one might learn?
Old 10-08-2016, 06:41 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU View Post
Richard,

Give the guy a break, it's his engine and I personally found interest in his post, who knows what one might learn?
You are very right, Gizmo. I spoke out of turn.

bogbeagle
, My sincere apologies for coming down on your project. The experiment was interesting and prompted some insight into the conversion process. Keep it up. It is your engine and i have no right to comment like I did.

Sincerely, Richard