Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Twist n Edge TE475Y 25cc....should I bother?

Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Twist n Edge TE475Y 25cc....should I bother?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:13 PM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist n Edge TE475Y 25cc....should I bother?

I picked this up for $0 today. With thoughts of making a conversion, but this one may not be a great candidate.
My main concern is this shaft off the flywheel. Its not solid with the crankshaft and is essentially a "nut" for the flywheel. I think the real proper way to make a prop hub is to have a piece machined to replace this, inside threads on one end to hold flywheel on and other end with a threaded shaft to fasten the prop to.
Would you pass on this and find a different donor engine? Or maybe have a better solution.
I have a small lathe and some fabrication skills but am no means a pro.
Thanks

Old 03-13-2019, 08:53 PM
kamlooper

Made a less then perfect home made hub. 16x8 APC
4 lbs 4 oz as pictured. Total investment, $10 for prop.
It runs....

Old 03-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of those engines on a trimmer yet. I added a bigger carb(11.11 mm venturi ) and it really opened up. That was three years ago and it's still running. A guy on RC Groups converted one but with electronic ignition. There probably a few threads on RCG and here for that engine.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ane-idea/page2
Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM
kamlooper

Good to know, I took it outside and opened it up and she had some nice revs. I think its safe to move forward with it, should come out at a reasonable weight with some trimming and a muffler diet.
The cdi kits are still available on hk, ordered one today, only $28! Ill need a tapered hub or cut down flywheel.
Im thinking of tapping these bosses for mounts, what do you think.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Tidnab

On the pic it looks like it's back farther than the crankcase cover and if it is you could use standoffs to bring it out. McMaster Carr has them or you could make them https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-threaded-standoffs
Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM
kamlooper

Yes Ill make my own mounts. Another thing, do you take off the carb return spring? This one has quite a bit of tension and would seem to be a heck of a load on a servo. I can see a return spring being good for safety reasons but at a much lower tension.
Thanks for your help...
Old 03-17-2019, 12:17 PM
Tidnab

Originally Posted by kamlooper View Post
Yes Ill make my own mounts. Another thing, do you take off the carb return spring? This one has quite a bit of tension and would seem to be a heck of a load on a servo. I can see a return spring being good for safety reasons but at a much lower tension.
Thanks for your help...
Here's a paragraph from the weedwacker conversion sticky.
It may be necessary to make a few changes to your carb. On the throttle shaft there is a return spring. Some people leave it alone and others do not like the servo having to pull against the spring. So these people unhook the tang of the spring from the hole in the throttle arm. Do not take the spring off the throttle shaft. The spring serves as a spacer to position the throttle arm in the center of the throttle bore. To remove the spring, you have to remove the butterfly and the retaining screw is likely to vibrate out and go through the engine once it is tampered with. With the spring removed completely, the butterfly wants to hang up in the carb.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:34 AM
kamlooper

Thanks for your help!
Next thing Im curious about, what is a good power output for a 25cc engine, Ie; what max rpm for given prop size is a good power output? Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Tidnab

There's a few threads which might tell you what you want. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...archid=2100578

Last edited by Tidnab; 04-02-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
kamlooper

Link didnt work...
Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Tidnab

Originally Posted by kamlooper View Post
Link didnt work...
Try the new link above.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:34 PM
Tidnab

I think this was a Weedeater brand 25cc that cayenne converted. You might want to contact him on RC Groups to see what rpm his was putting out and what prop size. His was converted to electronic ignition.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:44 PM
kamlooper

That Weedeater brand looks identical to mine. I looked him up on RCG, he hasnt been on since 17', he was looking for plans for an 80-100" high wing but no posts about building one. I want to build a mid wing coroplast 80" or so, the trouble is how to estimate how tail or nose heavy it will be. It will be based on the Lanier Stinger 120 and those were noted to be tail heavy I believe. Im thinking of making an extended front section (nose) and if it turns out nose heavy Ill trim it back.

On a side note, are the crankshaft tapers and keyways the same or common on these engines? I noticed the turnigy 30cc prop hub is still available for only $11. I might take a chance on it, might just fit?

Here is a shoulder/midwing 25cc 84" I found on the tube, kind of gave me the idea of the Stinger design.

Last edited by kamlooper; 04-07-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:20 AM
Tidnab

Have you been on the SPAD to the Bone site and then on the Spadworld.net ? You may be able to get some info on there. SPAD To The Bone - Start Here
Old 04-08-2019, 07:56 AM
kamlooper

Yes I have....Ill figure it out... a memeber on RCG (clippedwings) uses the turnigy hub on several engines...so I ordered a couple.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 AM
kamlooper

I just picked up a Sthil FS38 27.2cc wacker for $35 canadian. Its a way nicer engine then the Twist n edge above! Pulled the muffler off and it has a chrome liner, everything looks brand new inside! Easy to mount, either 3 standoffs from the back or ear tabs on the sides like a glow engine. 11mm carb already on it. It looks to be a great one to convert and to use the flywheel.coil setup, they are more compact then other engines ive seen.
NOW I need to build wings for it.
This page is a bit dead, thought Id post anyways...
Old 08-31-2019, 06:58 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Oh yeah, the Stihl is about 1000 times better than that Weed Eater engine you were working on. When I got those Weed Eater brand engines in to repair for sale, I just chucked them in the trash. The Stihl will give you great service. I have converted and sold a good number of them.

Yeah, this whole forum is dead due to the "Chinese Invasion". (DLE, and all the other alphabet Chinese engines.) Your Stihl is of WAY BETTER quality than those.... Stihl makes a 25.4cc engine that is good as well; lighter than the 27.2cc Stihl, and just as powerful if not better. These engines all will benefit from a larger carb, and a free flowing exhaust. The Stihl 27.2cc engine in particular has a restrictive intake manifold. If you go with a larger carb, port out that intake adapter as well....

So how did it go?

AV8TOR
Old 09-08-2019, 02:58 PM
kamlooper

Ive had a busy (and great) summer, no time for the projects during those months. it was left off at, the turnigy prop hub (a nice piece btw) fits the WE engine shaft, but not the Stihl 27cc.
However I just picked up 2 free Stihl running eaters, a FS36 and FS90R. Hopefully the hub fits one of them, will report results.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 PM
kamlooper

Here is the 28cc 4Mix. I would sure love to have this one converted, it sounds amazing! Im pretty sure my turnigy hubs wont fit on it though... do you know,is the flywheel threaded on?
I also have a cdi ignition on hand if that helps.
Apologies for this thread going in other directions...
Some dirty pics

Last edited by kamlooper; 09-09-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:24 PM
kamlooper

The hub does fit, perfect! I just need a key to lock it in. A few small engine shops in town here. Would a coupling nut work for fastening the hub and the prop?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:46 AM
kamlooper

Ive done a bunch of work to this 4-mix. Its coming along good. Notice it has a 2 needle carb! Should be a good runner.