Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Goldberg extra 300 too small for Converted engine?

Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Goldberg extra 300 too small for Converted engine?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:15 PM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goldberg extra 300 too small for Converted engine?

I picked up a carl goldberg classic Extra 300....its seen better days but is serviceable. (freebie)
Is there a lightweight engine out there that could be used on it? WS is 68", wing area 860 ish. But I think a 25cc converted engine is 2 1/2lbs or more
Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2020, 12:46 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure what you're referring to as a "converted engine". The only thing I can think of is a reference to over 20yrs ago when people were taking small equipment engines and converting them.

In this day and age there are several RC specific engines that are very sufficient for that plane, and available for a very reasonable price. A DLE 20cc, or even a 30cc engine would be fine. A ValleyView 26cc engine would be fine. These types of engines are lightweight, and are between $220-$280 if even that much... and are very dependable. All modern with electronic ignition and run premix gas/oil..

Don't even think about converting a small chainsaw or equipment engine. Those are generally magneto engines, and heavy, and it's just not near cost effective, and it's time consuming unless you're a fabricator of some sort... and even then they're still heavy.. Of course it's been done... and is possible, but if you want something simple and dependable to fly a classic Extra, yeah... look at the DLE line of engines. They're pretty nice for the money. Good luck with it. .
Old 10-19-2020, 08:20 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^^^ great advice!

Old 10-19-2020, 06:22 PM
kamlooper

Ummm do you realize you are posting in a subform called, "Engine Conversions" ?
Ive since done some research and found that an engine for the CG extra needs to be much lighter then say a, Zenoah G23
Thing is, I have a couple converted Stihl engines that are great running, well built engines, needing a home... but are 2.5 lbs
The CG 300 was free, and seen better days, Im not going to spend $$ on a nice dle or similar..

Oh look, an OS 90 for $50... problem solved!
Cheers
Old 10-19-2020, 10:19 PM
DGrant

Cool. We both wasted our time. Enjoy your cheap plane.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:10 PM
kamlooper

well....lookie here.. a CG extra 300 with a 5lb RCGF twin gasser on it!

Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 PM
DGrant

Awesome! These are great classics, like fine music they're timeless. It looks like it's doing fine with that engine too.

Thanks for sharing that video.