Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 08:53 AM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts

And then there's the time tested and proven Tech Aero IBEC. Serves as a voltage regulator, bec and ignition kill with light. I run A123 LiFe packs with TA IBECs in all my gassers. Just one pack in the smaller planes, two packs in the larger ones for redundancy. LiFe packs put out all the current one would ever need and recharge in 30 min or less at the field. They don't self drain and can be left at any charge level without munching themselves to death.

https://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_packs.html

Last edited by Glowgeek; 04-15-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Yea, that's the way to do it. I have tech aero's in all my gassers
Old 04-15-2023, 12:33 PM
Rcplanedan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cat 1
Dan,

I can back up what Bert says in terms of interference - The only time I have ever had issues is when I had Damaged caps... (2 times) . I do tent to a non metallic pushrod but not really sure if that's really nessasary.. In the boxer plane the HT leads go right past the pushrod so I took the precaution.

I do have a neat power setup for this build - its a dual BEC that has 2 adjustable and independent supplies... will find a picture or take one...
thanks chris,
i will ditch the wire push rods on my next builds ,just for piece of mind,
those bec,s are neat..i will be ordering a couple of those..alliexpress $30au not bad at all..
Old 05-02-2023, 09:52 PM
Rcplanedan

Default 2.4ghz interference

hi all,
So i joined a club 6 weeks ago and have heard of a few old folks with there planes dropping out the sky over the time ive been going there they were all using spektrum
too,..personally didn't have this promotion for sure,
So today i had two flights, not real busy at the field 2 people flying at once mostly.. i flew alone , i use a spektrum dx8 transmitter and ar210 with satellite receiver..nil operating problems until today on my 3rd flight done a loop around the field then the planes elevator went full up then neutral then twitched down all by itself, so i flew about 20 metres after that with me in control getter lower for a landing and then it twitched elevator full down,into the ground from 30 metres high..3 mins later a glider that wS still up done a loop twince within 15 seconds..his was hitec 2.4
and so he got lucky and landed..then a guy after knowing that ..flew his expensive comp plane using his jeti transmitter and reciever, they also 2.4ghz but must be alot better signal locking,
thinking i may want to upgrade to a much better radio system..
thats my new plane after 6 flights..im not game to fly another plane that is of any greater price as this one..
Old 05-02-2023, 11:23 PM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Oh dang... what a shame!

Although not holy, and not infallible either, so far I have had 100% troublefree operation with my FrSky Taranis, earlier version of EU LBT protocol (which has nothing to do with gender, it means "listen before talking" or in other words, every time it makes a frequency hop, it first checks if there is not at that time another TX active on that particular frequency). It is also EU power limit, 100 mW but I used it in Indonesia (where there is no power limitation and the same Taranisses have 500 mW) with absolutely the same confidence and reliability.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:30 PM
Rcplanedan

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
Oh dang... what a shame!

Although not holy, and not infallible either, so far I have had 100% troublefree operation with my FrSky Taranis, earlier version of EU LBT protocol (which has nothing to do with gender, it means "listen before talking" or in other words, every time it makes a frequency hop, it first checks if there is not at that time another TX active on that particular frequency). It is also EU power limit, 100 mW but I used it in Indonesia (where there is no power limitation and the same Taranisses have 500 mW) with absolutely the same confidence and reliability.
thanks bert,
Im now thinking some how the guy beside me with his hitec aurora 9 may have managed to be the cause of interference with my spektrum signals..and caused the issue..others flew after that incident for hours on and claimed zero problems, also using spektrum..this one is a first for me..
Old 05-03-2023, 03:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Doubtful another 2.4 radio interfered with you.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:03 AM
Rcplanedan

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Doubtful another 2.4 radio interfered with you.
thats good to know,
Was a strange thing to happen..like someone hit a switch,and the elevator moved suddenly up then down moments apart
Old 05-03-2023, 05:41 AM
1967brutus

I have seen a lot of issues with Spektrum, none of which can be explained. I stay away from Spektrum.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:56 AM
Glowgeek

I've flown a pair of Spektrum DX8's for many years, never had an issue, even when being surrounded by other active radios. I suspect many, not all, but many supposed radio glitches were actually caused by low or faulty batteries, intermittent connections or faulty servos.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:45 PM
Rcplanedan

I have seen a lot of issues with Spektrum, none of which can be explained. I stay away from Spektrum.
its definitely a tough choice,
Id been flying Spektrum 2 yr on a solo field without issues..
But now at a club ..ive had this ..and now im not so sure i want to continue with spektrum,
Old 05-04-2023, 01:49 PM
Rcplanedan

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
I've flown a pair of Spektrum DX8's for many years, never had an issue, even when being surrounded by other active radios. I suspect many, not all, but many supposed radio glitches were actually caused by low or faulty batteries, intermittent connections or faulty servos.
its weird what happened, but yeah i have had one transmitter battery incident and resolved that..all my batteries and connections are in good condition, so would rule out them as a problem..its difficult to understand what happened
Old 05-04-2023, 02:31 PM
Glowgeek

The only radio related fault I've had was with a 72 Mhz JR. Crashed two very nice planes before I found the problem, a cold solder joint on the antenna resistor. It range checked perfect after the first crash but lost contact with the RX beyond 200 ft. distance. The second crash was spectacular, full throttle climb to 450 ft. followed by a plunge into terra firma at light speed. Completely rekitted both planes. I reflowed the solder on the resistor and flew the radio a few more years before moving to 2.4 Mhz.

I made a move away from the DX8's to Taranis last fall but not because of any glitchy anomalies, I wanted more fuel channel curve points than the DX offers. I've only flown Taranis/ACCESS a few times since I got them And with no one else around.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-04-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:40 PM
Rcplanedan

The only radio related fault I've had was with a 72 Mhz JR. Crashed two very nice planes before I found the problem, a cold solder joint on the antenna resistor. It range checked perfect after the first crash but lost contact with the RX beyond 200 ft. distance. The second crash was spectacular, full throttle climb to 450 ft. followed by a plunge into terra firma at light speed. Completely rekitted both planes.
definitely not a fun feeling when your plane hits the deck for a unthinkable issue..
I had zero problems in 2 days with 5 flights..
Then one more flight at a low height no higher or further than 100ft and only the elevator was affected..i doubt it was the servo..its in perfect order..and the guy flying minutes after my crash had same issue..his glider all of a sudden done a loop while flying level by his control inputs, he just got lucky and landed before any other problems..leeds me to believe there was a field of frequency attack
Old 05-04-2023, 06:08 PM
1967brutus

I know... Lots of guys fly Spektrum without any problem... About 2 years back a group of friends from another club visited my club, most of them flying Spektrum, most of them never having had an issue, but that day three out of 8 guests experienced problems...

I really don't know, and I really do not want to 'smear a brand'... but I stick with my Taranis. The two Futaba's I still have, old 35 MHz sets (which in our country used to be the aircraft reserved frequency band) were converted to 2.4 GHz with FrSky conversion sets. Never a problem with those either. All my "electronic Ignition flying" has been done with those three sets, and as said, even abroad in a country where the regulations regarding radio frequencies are extremely lax...
Old 05-05-2023, 03:06 AM
Rcplanedan

I know... Lots of guys fly Spektrum without any problem... About 2 years back a group of friends from another club visited my club, most of them flying Spektrum, most of them never having had an issue, but that day three out of 8 guests experienced problems...

I really don't know, and I really do not want to 'smear a brand'... but I stick with my Taranis. The two Futaba's I still have, old 35 MHz sets (which in our country used to be the aircraft reserved frequency band) were converted to 2.4 GHz with FrSky conversion sets. Never a problem with those either. All my "electronic Ignition flying" has been done with those three sets, and as said, even abroad in a country where the regulations regarding radio frequencies are extremely lax...
the spektrum unit has been a good radio until now,i have doubts about proceeding with using it..dont think i could fly a plane wrth more than $200 with the spektrum..think i will upgrade before sending an expense plane to the sky..great info bert
Old 05-05-2023, 04:12 AM
Glowgeek

I don't WANT to smear Spektrum either BUT. With my DX8 radios only having 7 point curves, 8 channels and wanting to run the solenoid fueling system I felt an upgrade was due. Before getting the Taranis radio I first tried the Spektrum NX10. I wasn't happy with the feel of it at all but the real game killer was it's inability to properly control mixed channels when using the servo slowdown feature. It just wasn't going to work for this application. After much "encourement" from folks here I bought the FrSky Taranis and haven't looked back. Very, very happy with it.

Frsky offers Tandem radios and RX's for greater signal integrity if that's a concern. Those are dual band systems using 2.4 Ghz and 900 Mhz.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-05-2023 at 04:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:06 AM
Cat 1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I flew spektrum for years - Never had an issue - then one day we were having a "fun fly" and we lost 3 different A/C to radio Failure (the real kind ) One was one of mine - all three worked when the piece were picked up. Many flights that day but only spectrum was effected. Shortly after I moved to graupner. Many club members still fly spectrum (though the majority fly OpenTX stuff now) and no further issues - That was just a weird day that left many questions but no answers. I hate to "bash" any system as as Lonnie said many failures are caused by different issues and blamed on the system.. I have had one "failure" on graupner but it was directly traceable to a bad RX power switch. In retrospect I think all the Spectrum issues that day might have been power supply related (weak BEC setups) as older DSM/DSMX receivers were susceptible if the voltage got low) but it was just funny that they all manifested in one session.

Dan.. Was this a Gasser? the elevator (sometimes throttle) seems to be the first to be hit if you get any interference from the ignition at least in what I have seen - Usually caused by spark plug cap issues.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:29 PM
Rcplanedan

Originally Posted by Cat 1
I flew spektrum for years - Never had an issue - then one day we were having a "fun fly" and we lost 3 different A/C to radio Failure (the real kind ) One was one of mine - all three worked when the piece were picked up. Many flights that day but only spectrum was effected. Shortly after I moved to graupner. Many club members still fly spectrum (though the majority fly OpenTX stuff now) and no further issues - That was just a weird day that left many questions but no answers. I hate to "bash" any system as as Lonnie said many failures are caused by different issues and blamed on the system.. I have had one "failure" on graupner but it was directly traceable to a bad RX power switch. In retrospect I think all the Spectrum issues that day might have been power supply related (weak BEC setups) as older DSM/DSMX receivers were susceptible if the voltage got low) but it was just funny that they all manifested in one session.

Dan.. Was this a Gasser? the elevator (sometimes throttle) seems to be the first to be hit if you get any interference from the ignition at least in what I have seen - Usually caused by spark plug cap issues.
hi Chris,
It was just a glow engine..i k ow what you mean by spark plug cap issues, when they cause jittering it normally hets a fairly constant jittering..
but what i had was 3 elevator movements 3 seconds apart roughly up,down,up while flying level ,like someone else made those stick movements, then i quickly checked the elevator stick, down ,up all was fine so i proceeded back to idle and bring it down for a landing was still about 20ft in the air on decline and all of a sudden like someone else wacked the down elevator switch, went from near level to nose first into the ground..i swear somehow the guy beside me flying with his hitec 2.4 somehow the sigthes crossed path..but minutes later he landed and he told me he experienced the same thing..guess it was just an extremely odd thing..both mine and his plane suffered from elevator ghost glitch..this happened at 11am roughly, and only..before and after nobody experienced a single problem..maybe someone was calling china from here in Australia at that time.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:41 PM
cmulder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default another happy tanaris user

Got a first generation tanaris years ago. Bought it as a "cheap" transmitter to trow in my backpack to fly quads and my trex 450 heli for those "quick fix" flying sessions.
Might have been the first in the country with one so had to figure open tx out by myself and online forums.
Over the years it got hall sensor sticks and a 3dbi antenna as upgrades.
It has flown just alone on our field and during busy funfly events, national quad race compititions and national heli competitions.
Use it for my for my trex 700n heli and .40 fixed wing planes too.
Have about 50 models in use.
In all those years never had any interference, still fly the older more powerfull(?) fcc firmware just because i am to lazy to reflash all my recievers.
The biggest issue is not the transmitter but frsky and the way they now behave; they discontinued the d8 and d16 recievers i use so now buy radiomaster recievers instead.

Spectrum is way overpriced and even more overhyped for what it is.
Good luck getting parts or upgrades or them.

My suggestion is that if you are confortable with open/edge tx then get a radiomaster t16. They are relative cheap unless you go for the full cnc/leather versions and you can keep using your older recievers if you like.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:08 PM
cmulder

Exclamation Why i HATE spectrum

Seperate post in case it gets deleted.
Spectrum almost killed me.
At one of the heli competitions one was flying a thunder tiger g4 glow heli.
This is a .90 class heli with about 700mm blades so powerfull enough to kill.
He was flying some figures to practise for the next round.
I was standing besides him watching.
The heli stopped reacting and ended up hitting the ground where i stood before jumping out of the way.
I manually twisted the trottle to kill the engine after impact (blades where already broken off by then.

After some time to calm down we took the heli and did a function test; it all worked again, range test passed and even failsave by closing the trottle worked.
All the other guys competing where having a coffee so we are sure there was only the one transmitter on at the time.
This incident affected the pilot so much that he quit flying.
He wanted to trow the heli away so i offered him a fair price for the engine and servo's and got the damaged airframe for free.
its now in my hobby room after a rebuild and has flown a few times since using my tanaris.

Even years later i still keep a bigger distance from models if they use spectrum.
i do not trust it at all.

Last edited by cmulder; 05-05-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:33 PM
Rcplanedan

Originally Posted by cmulder
Seperate post in case it gets deleted.
Spectrum almost killed me.
At one of the heli competitions one was flying a thunder tiger g4 glow heli.
This is a .90 class heli with about 700mm blades so powerfull enough to kill.
He was flying some figures to practise for the next round.
I was standing besides him watching.
The heli stopped reacting and ended up hitting the ground where i stood before jumping out of the way.
I manually twisted the trottle to kill the engine after impact (blades where already broken off by then.

After some time to calm down we took the heli and did a function test; it all worked again, range test passed and even failsave by closing the trottle worked.
All the other guys competing where having a coffee so we are sure there was only the one transmitter on at the time.
This incident affected the pilot so much that he quit flying.
He wanted to trow the heli away so i offered him a fair price for the engine and servo's and got the damaged airframe for free.
its now in my hobby room after a rebuild and has flown a few times since using my tanaris.

Even years later i still keep a bigger distance from models if they use spectrum.
i do not trust it at all.
that is a perfect example, that is damn scary....i simply brought a second hand spektrum dx8 it was a fair price, and got a bunch of recievers for a good price too..its been fine ,but now im not real interested in using it again..i should be able to get a good price for it all and go with something else,,
i know china is making knock off spektrum recievers ,
i guess all the frsky stuff should be safe from knock off items?
couple of people swear by jeti at my field, but expensive, thinking about the frsky stuff would save a few pennys,, got like 5 gassers to fit up recievers..i couldn't bare to fly these over $2000 models after what happened,, is there any certain type of reciever needed for use with ignition engines..whats the best or a good model of frsky trans?
Old 05-05-2023, 04:07 PM
cmulder

Default frsky s jeti

A few of the more serious competitors here fly jeti.
I have seen the inside of the transmitters and they are build like a tank.
Cnc metal case with carbon top. Even the circuit boards look to be a bit thicker that the standard size circuit boards.
If you can affoard it get one; those are build to last the rest of your life.

Frsky makes good transmitters; i have the x-lite (game controller shape) besides my tanaris and don't hear complains about how they or others are made and there performance..
There are compatable 3rd party recievers including those made by radiomaster but they do not pretent to be a original so you know what you get.
The problem with frsky is how the company behaves now they got more succesfull. (using open source software they did not have to pay developing/ support cost for)
One time they refused to supply dealers unless they quit selling a competing brand transmitters.
Also frsky changes "protocols" way to many times and then discontinues the recievers that work with your transmitter.
That is why the tanaris is cheap now; you can't get many (any?) original frsky d8 / d16 recievers for them anymore.
Who knows how long they will support there current protocol...

Radiomaster uses a multi protocol module that can work with a whole range of recievers and has a modulle bay for a aditional transmitter module (like in the old 35/71 mhz days)
Or buy a used jeti and send it to the factory for a inspection/ service; then you know for sure you have a good one at lower cost.

Last edited by cmulder; 05-05-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:24 PM
Rcplanedan

Originally Posted by cmulder
A few of the more serious competitors here fly jeti.
I have seen the inside of the transmitters and they are build like a tank.
Cnc metal case with carbon top. Even the circuit boards look to be a bit thicker that the standard size circuit boards.
If you can affoard it get one; those are build to last the rest of your life.

Frsky makes good transmitters; i have the x-lite (game controller shape) besides my tanaris and don't hear complains about how they or others are made and there performance..
There are compatable 3rd party recievers including those made by radiomaster but they do not pretent to be a original so you know what you get.
The problem with frsky is how the company behaves now they got more succesfull. (using open source software they did not have to pay developing/ support cost for)
One time they refused to supply dealers unless they quit selling a competing brand transmitters.
Also frsky changes "protocols" way to many times and then discontinues the recievers that work with your transmitter.
That is why the tanaris is cheap now; you can't get many (any?) original frsky d8 / d16 recievers for them anymore.
Who knows how long they will support there current protocol...

Radiomaster uses a multi protocol module that can work with a whole range of recievers and has a modulle bay for a aditional transmitter module (like in the old 35/71 mhz days)
Or buy a used jeti and send it to the factory for a inspection/ service; then you know for sure you have a good one at lower cost.
well that that definitely gives a great view on whats what..i can get a great deal on a jeti that will suit me just fine..and some of there recievers are around the same cost as spektrum recievers..so not really a problem there... appreciate your knoll, thanks
Old 05-05-2023, 04:27 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No neither do I... there's enough chitchat at the flight fields to get information circulating... not all are questionable, and I'm sure their higher end radios are a better choice... but I can tell you the story what happened to my son inlaw's DX6i pot failure, which put his H9 J3 Cub into the local landfill, transmitter went with it of course, I was quit put off my by it... its not like rc modeling is inexpensive, there is an investment at many levels in this hobby, from entry level, right up to competition, and one of the most important part of this hobby is the radio equipment, which needs to be relied upon, quality and durability is most important... and of course we are all familiar with "murphy", things happen that are out of our control, whether its pilot error, component failure, eventually something is going to happen... and not all radio issues are the fault of the equipment though, even 2.4 spread-spectrum can become congested to the point of holds & loc outs... I'm partial to futaba because that's what I have used for years, so you use what you know and stick with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.