Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline

Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline

Old 07-01-2023, 12:02 PM
1967brutus

Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Excellent runner now, Dan.

In bold: I'm not ashamed to say, been there, done that.
Hashtag MeToo....
Old 07-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Glowgeek

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm a card carrying member of "Lisdexics Untie".
The following users liked this post:
1967brutus (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:25 PM
Cat 1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
Hashtag MeToo....

Meeee TOOOO!! using a light!!
The following users liked this post:
1967brutus (07-01-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 02:31 PM
Rcplanedan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have forgotten what side the magnet should be set,and i watched a YouTube video of someone doing it wrong, and i still got it wrong,
well i am still playing with carbs! I am using the ft160 throttle slide in a asp fs120 carb body with the 120,s hs needle in place still.. pics of the throttle at idle and peak

..after more tuning and almost another litre of fuel, ive been busy,probably need ear muffs! But i think its running very well ,not using any exhaust pressure, i think the rings are starting to bed in
the head temps have all of a sudden dropped a fair amount and it splutters less through the rev range, will drain the wase bucket and monitor that through some more running ,
i have been using silkolene prokart oil its a mix of easter synthetic and castor oil
Old 07-02-2023, 02:36 PM
Rcplanedan

Not sure if I need another one, but i found this one for $375au or 228 got some discolouration on one cylinder...
Old 07-02-2023, 02:43 PM
Glowgeek

That color-faded cylinder was running a bit too lean......If it was running on methanol.

Dan, are you running the solenoid system?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 07-02-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 02:51 PM
Rcplanedan

That color-faded cylinder was running a bit too lean......If it was running on methanol.
i figurid it was from being hot..

Dan, are you running the solenoid system?
no im not ruthat system, would be nice, but aĺl ive done is get the dremel on the throttle barrel and moded the groove
Old 07-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Rcplanedan

this is the crankcase waste after a 15 minute run from cold start,varied throttle positions,
Old 07-02-2023, 09:48 PM
1967brutus

The throttle openings at idle are indeed "ridiculously small" compared to when the engine is running glowfuel and plugs. That's OK, that basically means that you have your idle mixture pretty good. Take care that you don't lean out midrange too much (it is better to wait with finetuning that until you are actually flying and the engine is running "operational conditions" WRT unloading of the prop and additional cooling due to flight wind). Other than that, good job.

Indeed, that engine with the discoloured cylinder has had one cylinder running too hot. I would at least carefully inspect the combustion chamber for detonation damage.
On gas, your engine WILL discolour like that on both cylinders, and over the full length of the cylinder from footflange to top. On gasoline it is NOT a problem (the fuel runs that hot all by itself and the properties of the fuel as well as the oil do allow for that, and the materials used in the engine can handle it), but on glow, if it runs hot like that, that's a symptom of something being not right with the mixture to that cylinder.

It is not heat that kills an engine, it is the reason for that heat...

That amount of residue after 15 minutes seems reasonable to me, a bit depending on throttle setting (fuel consumption).
A good way to keep an eye on what is going on in the engine:
Cut a circle out of a regular coffee filter, and place a drop of crankcase residue in the middle. Place that circle on top of an old glass or coffeecup or whatever in an oven on 50~75 deg C for about 30 minutes.
Make sure that the oil spot does not have contact with the support.
The appearance of the spot after 15~30 minutes gives an indication of how much and what kind of dirt is in the oil.
The "fresher" the sample, the better the indication, I usually take that drop that is hanging off the nipple immediately after stopping the engine.

Looks a bit like this:

Spot-test ASP Radial running on gasoline, from left to right after first run, after 5th run and after 10th run. Runs were approximately 5~6 minutes, so those tests comprise roughly one hour of runtime. The difference in appearance shows progress of break-in. It is also very clear that break in takes MUCH longer than the 2 hours needed to allow the engine to accept full load.

It takes a bit of experience to read the spots, but one thing is easy to see: change in appearance means "something going on" (break in or breakdown) and vague outlines are good, sharp outlines are "bad" (either something going on, or a break in not yet complete). Grey is metal, black is soot.

I use this method quite a lot, just to have an idea of what is going on in an engine I am not yet familiar with. It is a simplified form of Chromatography but works pretty good.

You are, by the way, going to run into the problem of leaning out in flight versus running stationary on the ground, so chances are, you might want to change to muffler pressure. The muffler pressure rises with RPM, which counters the leaning out due unloading quite a bit.
It is in itself possible to find needle settings that work in flight not using muffler pressure, but the trouble is that normally those settings are too rich for stationary runs, meaning you loose a lot of power during take-off and the engine only clears once it is airborne. At least, that was my experience in the early days of gasoline conversions. Muffler pressure cures that because it makes fuel supply follow changes in RPM better. Carb suction alone is not enough to do that, fuel flow does not follow air ingestion 1:1.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 07-02-2023 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:44 PM
1967brutus

Just as a comparison, this is a chromatography of my own ASP Boxer after about 75 hours of runtime from BIB, of which about 65 hrs in flight:
Old 07-02-2023, 11:53 PM
Rcplanedan

Just as a comparison, this is a chromatography of my own ASP Boxer after about 75 hours of runtime from BIB, of which about 65 hrs in flight:
thats a great idea,will give it a go ,would never have thought about doing a test like that,
Muffler pressure hooked up now and just a fine tweek on the needles to compensate and its running well
Old 07-03-2023, 03:22 AM
1967brutus

Don't forget to install a craptrap in the plane.

Yeah, that test will show you IF anything is going on, and where you are WRT both mixture and break-in (if appliccable)..
Old 07-19-2023, 02:22 PM
Rcplanedan

Just thought id add this YouTube video
this confused me on what side of hall sensor to set the magnet?
So as on the video i set my boxer timing as to the video, magnet to the right of hall sensor. Ran crap . So setting opposite (to the left) engine runs properly, same

this is a mmm magnet ring on my saito fa120r3fa120r3.s are on the backside of the ring..and i have to set magnet to the right side of the hall sensor on this i guess because hall sensor is rotated 180 compared to any other hall sensor mounting .
another one to confuse me
Old 07-20-2023, 08:44 AM
1967brutus

Your confusion is justified, because the RcExl ignitions differ: If you have a SINGLE hall sensor (recognizable by a 3-wire connector) the ignition fires when the magnet LEAVES the hall sensor. These ignitions are used for singles and even firing twins
When you have a double hall sensor (recognizable by a 4 wire connector) the ignition fires when the magnet is ARRIVING at the sensor.. Those ignitions are used in odd-firing twins, fourcylinders and all radial ignitions.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:10 PM
Rcplanedan

Your confusion is justified, because the RcExl ignitions differ: If you have a SINGLE hall sensor (recognizable by a 3-wire connector) the ignition fires when the magnet LEAVES the hall sensor. These ignitions are used for singles and even firing twins
When you have a double hall sensor (recognizable by a 4 wire connector) the ignition fires when the magnet is ARRIVING at the sensor.. Those ignitions are used in odd-firing twins, fourcylinders and all radial ignitions.
thanks..well i will lock this in to memory, never to be confused again..
Old 08-22-2023, 11:30 AM
Glowgeek

Aweful quiet around here.

It's been too blasted hot for me to do much of anything in my shop.
Old 08-22-2023, 02:24 PM
Rcplanedan

Aweful quiet around here.

It's been too blasted hot for me to do much of anything in my shop.
it definitely is quiet here!
I have cool weather, but still not doing enough..
Old 08-23-2023, 05:12 AM
1967brutus

I am at sea right now, so very little to report on the subject of gasoline modified ex-glow engines, and last home leave I had a side project that you can find in the boating section under "scale boats".
Hope to be back with on topic matter in about a month, when I'm back home.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:41 PM
Glowgeek

gelukkige zeilvriend
Old 08-28-2023, 02:20 AM
1967brutus

gelukkige zeilvriend
Thanks for the best wishes!
Right now, unfortunately, things are not as "happy" as I would like, but that is a long story that has no place here. Don't worry, I'll live...
Old 08-30-2023, 03:03 AM
Glowgeek

Dave?, Chris?, still out there?

Chris, I hope you and your family haven't been affected much by all those wildfires.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:12 AM
Raleighcopter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still here. Haven't messed with this stuff in a while. I hope to get back to it soon and would like to expand the controller to handle 2 channels, o e for fuel and the other for tank pressure.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:55 AM
1967brutus

Dave?, Chris?, still out there?

Chris, I hope you and your family haven't been affected much by all those wildfires.
I saw Chris having a great holiday on the book of faces, but haven't seen much of him after that. I sure hope they are OK.

I spent a few days with Billy (Guillaume) in France a while back, and latest I got was that he will post an article on a french language RC site somewhere after the weekend.
So "the word" is still being actively spread
Old 08-30-2023, 11:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

You're allowed to say Facebook here, we don't censor that like other forums
Old 08-31-2023, 02:06 PM
1967brutus

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
You're allowed to say Facebook here, we don't censor that like other forums
I guess that's a habit hard to kick... But thanks for the heads-up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.