Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

RYOBI trouble need help as soon as possible to fly again!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

RYOBI trouble need help as soon as possible to fly again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 06:03 PM
tatolazo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RYOBI trouble need help as soon as possible to fly again!!!

Hi guys:
because of my job I have to move myself 690 kms. tho the south, from Concepción to Puerto Montt here in Chile, try to find me in a map!!
The problem is that my 80" fun fly with a ryobi was packaged for about 3 months while I become a member of the local club ( just 10 guys, all with only tiger 2s and something extras...) and get confortable with the job.
So when I bring the big baby to the field to impress someone, the engine does not started as easy as it used to. later I found that the feeding line was bent with memory, so it remains all the time bend.
I replace it but the engines does not keep running. I have to use the primer to pump gas to the carb ( a Walbro one) and then with a little touvh of starter it runs inmediatly, but as it consumes the gas pumped it becomes rich until stiop. So, ther is no doubt that the engine is not pumping fuel as it should.
I don´t know if this could be some problem with the carb or the engine itself. If I use the primer each 10 seconds I could keep the engine runinnig almost normal.
The settings for the needle i was using was around 1,5 turns each one high and low.
I would like to try some of the settings you can comment or was thinking to change the carb, another ryobi has a ZAMA carb bolted on and I was planning to use it as a alternative.

I would like to fly this thing soon, you know, we have it in the blood and here we use the local aerodrome that is almost exclusive for modelers...what more we can ask for???

thanks for the help.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:59 PM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RYOBI trouble need help as soon as possible to fly again!!!

needs a new diaphram or say carb kit. It is simple to put one in and can get them at several places= mower shop// some hardware stores // I have seen some at wal-Mart
Old 12-31-2003, 11:11 PM
AutoMike

Ken has got you pointed the right way. Or it may only need to be tore down and cleaned.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:18 AM
tatolazo

Thanks for the inputs guys:
In fact.The first thing I did was clean the carb, and it has a lot of dirt inside, but securely retained by a filter inside (a kind of very thin net) all the residues were taken out but the problems persist. I checked the diaphragm and it seems to be OK, without damage, but ,may be there is something else with it that does not let it work as it should.

Today at noon will try another carb.
Time ago I used a 20x6 rop in a ryobi and it runs like hell, but the prop was to heavy and the engine at the second flight ran very wrong until stop when heated. I found out that the piston get weared and diminished at the head and bottom, so I get a replace for that and solved the problem. But this is not the case, becase in the other case the engine always stop, and now the engine will run as long as i pupm it some gas with the primer.

I will check the diaphragm also.

Thans a lot. and sorry my english
Old 01-03-2004, 10:58 AM
EL TEMUCANO

Tato
Hola, cuando vi tu pregunta no me aguante e ingrese mis datos para poder participar. No dejan de tener razon con el tema de la membrana del carburador, aveces una perforacion minima no da el flujo suficiente de bencina. por otra parte vi en otra hoja que a los carburadores walbro en la tapa de ventilacion de la membrana, le soldan un tubito de tal forma que quede mirando en contra del viento o hacia adelante, tratare de ubicar esa Pg, y te la enviare.

un abrazo y feliz año..
Sergio Barros
Old 01-03-2004, 09:31 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sergio,

Usted tiene razon que alo mejor su problema es una perforacion de la membrana. Pero no creo que su problema esta que no tiene un tubo en la tapa por que el motor se corrio bien ante, y sin un tubo en la tapa.

Buena Suerte,
AV8TOR
Old 01-05-2004, 12:34 AM
aero nut

Tatolazo! ya revisate la valvula que esta dentro del carburador? la que se encuentra debajo del diafragma, a veces estas no abren y por lo tanto no permiten el paso del combustible, la manera en la que yo la reviso es conectando una manguera a la toma del combustible y soplo atravez de esta y en condiciones normales no debe de dejar pasar el aire, luego despues presiono el brazo de la palanca que se encuentra por debajo de la membrana del diafragma lo cual debe de permitir el flujo del aire soplado, si lo permite pasar entonces tu problema es el diafragma otra cosa que debes de revisar es el ahugero que esta por debajo del cxarburador cerciorate de que este alineado con el de la base del mismo y que este tenga un paso libre (el de la base o tapa trasera del motor); te recomiendo eliminar el tamis de metal que sirve como filtro el cual limpiaste y emplea un filtro de linea para gasolina entre la toma del carburador y el tanque, lo el tubo soldado a la tapa del diaframa es para cuando el motor se encuentra enclaustrado bajo un "cowling" muchas veces el regulador del diafragma no recibe el aire suficiente para desempenar su funcion entonces se le acondiciona el tubo de la manera en que Temucano lo describe; en otro aspecto que tambien note es que el ryobi 31 desempena mucho mejor con una helice 16x8 ya que la 18x6 si la mueve pero le cuesta mayor trabajo para hacerlo, yo en lo personal utilizo una APC 16x8 y me da muy buenos resultados con my RYAN'S REBEL de 80 pulgadas y 12 libras de peso.
Te deseo suerte con tu problema y mantenos al tanto del mismo.
Tu "compa de aca de Tijuana Mexico"
Bill Pomplun.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

I'd say get rid of the Ryobi and get a Homelite 33cc out of their 14" chainsaw. I have a Ryobi that ran OK for a little while and then I spent so much time and effort on it that I finally gave up. The Homelites always start and run very reliably.

Jim
Old 01-05-2004, 11:41 AM
tatolazo

Bueno:
Como tengo 4 ryobis cambie el carburador y el motor partió con lamano de manera inmedata y anduvo bien por 20 minutos,luego se paró y siguió el mismo problema con los otros 2 carburadores.
levé uno al servicio técnico,le limiamos el filtro interno en el carburador pero nada mejoró.
Voy a tratar de conseguir un carburador nuevo o cambiar las membranas ya que el motor anduvo estupendamente haciendo todo tipo de acrobacias hasta que se paró.
saludos.
Tato.

I changed de carb and the engien started by hand at the first flip, ran very well for 20 minutes and the stoped and get the same problem again with other tow carbs I replaced. May be the were too many time with out use and need some maintenance in the mean while.

Thanks.
Tato.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:15 PM
fokker38cc

Hi
Do you have fuel filter in the fuel line supply?
Go to the chainsaw engine repair shop and buy a filter.
Or put a big good motorcycle filter in the fuel can and charge the plane fuel tank with filtered fuel.
Also wash the plane fuel tank with fresh fuel.
May be you have accumulated dirt in your fuel tank in the plane.
Hasta la vista, baby
Jose
Old 01-13-2004, 04:15 PM
tatolazo

Como on,
I need some tech input here.
I check the diaphragm and it seems OK.
The valves are fine.
What is happening??!!!!
whats wrong with those carbs. (2 are ZAMA and 2 WALBRO, both types worked well before. Very similar.
I wish perhaps that somebody called , let´s say, Mr. Frank Ryobi could write in this forum, but there is no such person.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:16 AM
av8tor1977

Ok, let's start at the carburetor. You need to check both diaphragms. Take the cover off the carb on the opposite side of the black diaphragm, and see how it looks. There are small one way flapper valves in there that must work properly, and another diaphragm to check. Try blowing some aerosol carb cleaner in through the gas inlet tube on the carb, and see that it enters the carb ok.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:22 AM
av8tor1977

WHOOPS.... I ACCIDENTALLY HIT "OK" BEFORE I WAS READY TO SEND.

HERE YOU GO:

Ok, let's start at the carburetor. You need to check both diaphragms. Take the cover off the carb on the opposite side of the black diaphragm, and see how it looks. There are small one way flapper valves in there that must work properly, and another diaphragm to check. Try blowing some aerosol carb cleaner in through the gas inlet tube on the carb, and see that it enters the carb ok.

Next, trace all the fuel lines and check their connections. If even the tiniest bit of air enters at any connection, the pump will not pump fuel. All your connections must be absolutely airtight. A tube can feel fairly snug on a fitting, but still let air in. This is very important.

Lastly, check to see that your fuel tube inside the tank has not doubled forward and kinked itself off. If your airplane took a hard jolt forward during moving, the clunk and fuel tube inside the tank may have jammed itself forward, closing off, or nearly closing off the fuel line.

Hope this helps, and please let me know.

Take care,
Old 01-14-2004, 12:16 PM
fokker38cc

Hola
Si tiene varios Ryobi haga funcionar uno de los otros motores con un carburador, testee a fondo el carburador, y saque ese carburador con todo el sistema de juntas y base y llevelo al motor que se esta parando , coloquelo pero con un tanque exterior y hagalo funcionar , si todo esta bien , saque todo el sistema de combustible y directamente cambie todo por uno nuevo.
Con esto por lo menos elimina la duda del carburador , base y juntas.
O si no cambie un motor completo que haya probado antes en todo rango, con sistema de combustible incluido.
Asi con el motor y sistema de combustible afuera testea de noche y de dia puede volar.
Aplique el sistema KISS asi puede estar en el aire lo mas rapido posible.
Saludos
Jose
Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 PM
av8tor1977

?PUES SI, PERO SI QUIERE ARREGLAR LO QUE TIENE JUNTOS EN SU AVIONETA AHORA?

AVI8TOR
Old 01-25-2004, 05:20 PM
tatolazo

Thanks for all the imputs.
let me tell you what happened.
I carefully cleaned all the four carbs and the problem persist. later I take out the engine and install in the bench a brand new tank and fuel lines. the engine ran as anyone will want to. so stable, powerfull and with a great idle and nice trasition to full throtle.
later i re install it in the plane, but take oput all the choke system, that includes to close the upper tube in line to choke the engine with the primer, the engine was great and i have been flying it since that the .
the porblem was that the choke fuel lkine was a little loose, so that is why the engine only started when primed and later stops because of the usealed carb system that makes it loose sucking preassure.

thanks to all for the replys, hope this can help someone else.

tato
Old 09-29-2004, 09:09 PM
ACROHUNTER

Tato,

Tienes agún dato para comprar repuestos de RYOBI?, compre un motor de 31 cc que está bastante usado, me gustarÃ*a hacerle un ajuste, o cambiar directamente piston y cilindro.

Soy de Santiago.

Saludos

ORIGINAL: tatolazo

Thanks for all the imputs.
let me tell you what happened.
I carefully cleaned all the four carbs and the problem persist. later I take out the engine and install in the bench a brand new tank and fuel lines. the engine ran as anyone will want to. so stable, powerfull and with a great idle and nice trasition to full throtle.
later i re install it in the plane, but take oput all the choke system, that includes to close the upper tube in line to choke the engine with the primer, the engine was great and i have been flying it since that the .
the porblem was that the choke fuel lkine was a little loose, so that is why the engine only started when primed and later stops because of the usealed carb system that makes it loose sucking preassure.

thanks to all for the replys, hope this can help someone else.

tato