Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Pioneer Farmsaw- can't get the stinkin' magneto off- help

Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Pioneer Farmsaw- can't get the stinkin' magneto off- help

Old 03-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pioneer Farmsaw- can't get the stinkin' magneto off- help

Subject says it all.

It's a tapered shaft with a keyway. Stuck on there tighter than heck. Been beating the heck out of it with a screwdriver and a hammer. Steering wheel puller won't do it either.

I plan to use electronic ign. -- so the flywheel is just in the way- need to get it off.

Bore is 46mm and stroke is 36mm. If my math is correct; thats just a tick under 60cc. I came up with 59.8cc

Is it even worth it? How do these things run? It's reed inducted with the carb on the side- kinda like a 3W 70 or 3W 75.

Cylinder looks like its aluminum with a cast iron insert. The actual cylinder hangs out the bottom of the jug about 1/2".

Twin ring piston. Roller bearings on the crank. Funny lookin' oiler on the clutch side. This will have to be cut apart. It's a 2-piece case like a Poulan.

Suggestions on removal of the flywheel would be appreciated; as well as comments on the power I can expect.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 11:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Pioneer Farmsaw- can't get the stinkin' magneto off- help

Support the back of the flywheel and with a brass hamer hit the end of the shaft and drive it out. May also try placing a nut on the threads and use a sharp hammer blow to drive the shaft out of the flywheel. You have to support or hold the flywheel in a vise. Set up right a press will work also. Good luck Capt,n
Old 03-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Rcpilot

Brute strength and ignorance prevails- once again.

I got the mapp gas torch out and heated the magneto around the crank for about 3-4 minutes. A couple of light taps on the back side and it fell off in my hands. Dropped it REAL quick in the snow. Sucker was HOT!

Any comments on power?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2004, 05:02 AM
AutoMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[email protected]
Old 03-05-2004, 09:33 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the reed induction...it may have real good torque to turn a high pitch prop. It may not like the high revs or it might not tune in good with a low pitch prop. Let us know when you get that monster humming!!! Capt,n
Old 03-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Rcpilot

I'm heading to my friends shop tonight to cut it up. It looks pretty straightforward. Once you do a couple of these- you can cut one up in about 1/2 hour on the bandsaw.

My first one- a Poulan 54cc took me 3 hours to cut it up. Was afraid I'd ruin it the whole time. It turned out just fine in the end. My second- also a Poulan 54cc took me less than an hour to cut and grind it down to a nice size and shape.

I'm hoping this 60cc Pioneer will turn out to have a bit more power than the 2 Poulans I have now. The Poulans are piston ported. There seems to be a LOT of cooling fins on this one. I might trim about 1/4" off the fins all the way around.

I read a large thread in the "Gas engines" forum last night about the differences between piston ported-- reed valve-- and rotary valves. Can't come to a definitive conclusion on either one of the 3, but it looks like the reed valve will maybe make a bit more torque on the top and spin a bit less RPM.

I'll probably start out with a 22-8 or a 22-10 on this one and tach it. I intend to get ahold of Frank Bowman and get new rings for this one. There is a guy up on the NE coast who sells stock replacement parts for the Pioneer saws, but lost his email and phone #. Thats alright-I like Franks rings anyways.

Will post a few pics later.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did your 60cc work out ? I'm curious about the roller bearings on the crank. Are they holding up to the prop thrust or did you modify them?