Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

"THE PHOENIX"... Custom airplane for my Kioritz 23.6cc hot rod engine

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

"THE PHOENIX"... Custom airplane for my Kioritz 23.6cc hot rod engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 08:41 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "THE PHOENIX"... Custom airplane for my Kioritz 23.6cc hot rod engine

Hi guys,

Well, I took half a sick day yesterday, and almost completed my scratch built "knock around plane" for my Kioritz. All I have left is to finish up the radio installation, and the fuel system. They are both already planned out and partially done so that shouldn't take too long if I can get the time! It is going to finish up just a touch over 9 lbs. ready to fly, for a wing loading of around 20 oz. per square foot. The engine has around 11 lbs. or so of thrust, so it should fly pretty well.

I call it the PHOENIX, because like the bird, it keeps "rising from the ashes". The only thing left from the 15 year old Ugly Stick now is the tail, (though modified), and the landing gear@! It's the old "I've changed the wing twice and the fuselage three times, and it's STILL a pretty good plane!" Ha Ha...

My last one was done up like the Red Baron. I told the owner of the airport here that it crashed because he is French. So I did this one up in more appropriate colors for good luck. I told him the brunette flying it is the unknown illegitimate French sister of Hanna Reich. Tee hee...

Here's the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46810.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	110815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92154.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	110816  
Old 03-13-2004, 10:48 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: "THE PHOENIX"... Custom airplane for my Kioritz 23.6cc hot rod engine

Looks like your "Phoenix" should have plenty of power. What kind of covering did you use.? How about the wing span and wing area. Good luck, and let us know how she flys. Take Care Capt,n[8D]
Old 03-14-2004, 12:13 AM
rsjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "THE PHOENIX"... Custom airplane for my Kioritz 23.6cc hot rod engine

av8tor1977,
I love your tastes in r/c airplanes, I was a 27 year native Zony 'till I decided to move to Montana.

Anyway, Phoenix is a great name for your plane and it looks like it will be a blast to fly! Keep us updated and thanks for sharing![sm=thumbup.gif]

Ron
Old 03-14-2004, 10:24 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm rather proud of the way it turned out. My last one somewhat like it I had for many years until it got shot down by a radio problem. This one is designed for a gasser with a stout front end, shortened for balance, a radio compartment in the rear fuselage, gas tank on the center of gravity, etc. The wingspan is 66"; and it has 1007" of area. I think about 1000" is a good minimum for these gassers. The covering is mostly stuff I had laying around; some ultracote, monokote, flitecote, etc. My daughter donated the "pilot".

I'm trying to get this one finished so I can move on. Next up, a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick Lite 120 with a Homey 25cc, then a Dymond Models 72" Tiger Moth with a Ryobi!

Too much fun!
AV8TOR