Honda GX25 OHC, NEW (WITH PICS )

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 11:21 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Honda GX25 OHC

ORIGINAL: aero nut

a couple of questions? how much did you pay for that engine? and are they readily available?
$175 and YES !! I ordered mine from
[link=http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Honda]http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Honda[/link] and received it the very next day (one state away)
Old 05-05-2004, 10:46 PM
BBriBro

[quote]ORIGINAL: BBriBro

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

The brass screw in the center of the rotating barrel (throttle) is the mix adjustment I think.
I'm still in search for the "perfect" carb for the Honda. the bad news is I drilled out the main jet and actually lost rpm on top. the good news is there is a Low end adjustment !!! It is down inside the throttle barrel. I talked to a Walbro tech, he said to dig out the epoxy filling with an x-acto and there might be a mixture screw. Well I dug and dug, untill I hit metal under the epoxy. Some friends looked at it, and we all thought, nah, no screw in there. Then I got to thinking, and I couldn't imagine why they would bother to put epoxy in there unless they were trying to prevent tampering, so I starting drilling down in there, with brass shavings flying everywhere. I was either going to find a mixture screw, or drill clean through the entire carb searching for one. I ended up using a tiny cutter on my dremel, and would you believe, there is a screw in there. They dropped a brass plug in there first, then filled it with epoxy, it was a major PITA. The motor is still apart, so I haven't tried to adjust the idle mixture, But I did the same mod to my Honda weedeater, (the one I really use on the grass) and it starts much easier, idles slower, accelerates without stumbling, does't die when cold, even at idle, I can't wait to run the conversion. I think with a new main jet (maybe an assortment of sizes) the stock carb will be fine. The one on the GX25 has an accelerator pump, my weedeater doesn't so it should be even better on the transition.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Now that you've got us this far don't leave us hang'n !!! How about an update on the project ???
Old 05-06-2004, 08:27 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: Antique

Now that you've got us this far don't leave us hang'n !!! How about an update on the project ???
that was an update, LOL from just last night. I'm building a Big Bee now, so I can get this thing flying. I must have gotten the last Big Bee from Sheldon's about 2 weeks ago, I tried to order another 3 days later, and they were out. Every single piece of wood in this kit was solid, Ribs, bulkheads, fuse sides, hatch, etc. I spent some time with a router and dremel cutting holes in everything. I've heard they fly real well even over 15 lbs, so I hope I'll have a floater, and the Honda won't be pulling it around like a G62.

Old 05-07-2004, 09:52 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was positive there was a mix screw...but I fogot to say it may be hidden by a filler above it to hide it fom us tinkering type of RCer,s!!!! Can you send your photos in a smaller size? Us poor folks have slow servers...ect .....making it a very long process to see the photos at all. Thanks Capt,n
Old 05-08-2004, 07:23 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Can you send your photos in a smaller size? Us poor folks have slow servers...ect .....making it a very long process to see the photos at all. Thanks Capt,n
I was wondering about that. I tried to upload them to RCUs server, and have a thumbnail in the thread, and just click it to enlarge, but they resize them, so even when you click them for "full size", they are still small IMO. I think all my pics are 600x800 which is the smallest my camera will do. I could edit them all, cut, crop and resize, but that would be rather time consuming. Is there another way to post a thumbnail, but link it to my server?, then I can have the original size available for downloads, rather than the resized version from RCU.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:09 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please keep us posted on your progress. I'd also like to know when you run the other bigger Honda four-stroke you have; (the 31).

I have this vision I just can't get out of my mind. A big, (like 96" wingspan), old timey looking model with a four-stroke for the neat sound. I'm thinking an old Antoinette look alike, or something along those lines. Something majestic and relaxing to fly. I'll probably have to sit down and design it, 'cause I just can't get the idea out of my head. I'm looking forward to hearing how your experiments with these engines and the plane you are building turn out.

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 05-26-2004, 08:46 AM
BBriBro

The Big Bee is almost finished. I am having a custom landing gear made from TNT, so I don't have to use the old fashioned heavy 1/4" wires it came with. I ordered a WYK-61 and a WYK-16 carb to try on the GX25. The stock WYB (fixed jet) carb is 8mm, the WYK-61 is 9 mm (with hi and low speed needles) and the WYK-16 is 10.5 mm (also with both needles, and no primer, so hopefully it will be smaller, lighter and more compact) I am expecting all of the above parts this week, So hopefully I can get it in the air by this weekend.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Antique

All WYK carbs are the same physical size [8D]
Old 05-26-2004, 10:26 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

All WYK carbs are the same physical size [8D]
The main carb body maybe, But It has to be smaller overall without the primer, every other walbro carb is, they just use a small cover plate, rather than another cast plate with the primer bulb, fittings, more fuel passages, etc.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:13 PM
DougT
My Feedback: (1)

BBB,

Next time you have your Honda 25 out, would you mind removing the flywheel, coil, muffler, and anything not needed to do an CDI conversion and weighing the thing. If it's semi-light I'd like to buy one. Thanks for all the pics and details.

Doug
Old 05-27-2004, 10:46 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: DougT

BBB,

Next time you have your Honda 25 out, would you mind removing the flywheel, coil, muffler, and anything not needed to do an CDI conversion and weighing the thing. If it's semi-light I'd like to buy one. Thanks for all the pics and details.

Doug
I don't have it removed, but I did take some notes during all my work on it. The flywheel was 9.8 oz stock, 8.8 after my grinding, The stock muffler is 3.2 oz although I have no intentions of using it. (sure is quiet though) My engine came out weighing 59.5 oz. , Ready to hang on the firewall (with the Carr mount and hub) is 67.9 oz If you subtract the 8.8 oz for the flywheel, and 4 oz for the coil (thats just a guess, I don't have an exact weight on the coil) You'd be at 46.7 oz with no mount or hub.( and no muffler) You could bolt it right to the firewall with no mount, saving a few ounces, But you'd still need a hub. So not much over 3lb !
Old 05-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Antique

OK, I ordered one..I will convert it to my ignition, lighten as much as possible, find a carb that works, test it with different props...It will be for sale for $325 later if anyone wants it, otherwise it will be on one of my planes..Something LIGHT....
Old 05-27-2004, 11:58 AM
BBriBro

This seems to be a hot topic, so I just removed the engine, and all it's accessories, I have some weights for each component. My notes were mostly chicken scratch and getting hard to read, so I started over, with every part, on a digital postal type scale.

Bare engine (No carb, no spark plug, no ignition, no flywheel, no muffler, no mount, no hub) 43.3 oz
Spark Plug, ( I read that the shorter plugs are lighter, so here is the stock one just for comparison) .8 oz
Coil (with mounting screws) 4.0 oz
Flywheel (after grinding) 8.8 oz
Carr Precision Hub with washer and prop bolt 3.0 oz
Carr Precision mount with 3 flat head screws 3.4 oz
Stock Honda Muffler 3.2 oz
My custom exhaust pipe 1.0 oz
Stock Carb (WYB 6B) 3.9 oz
New Carb (WYK 61) 4.1 oz

If you add it up the individual parts that comes to 68.4 oz. My engine put together , firewall ready, on the scale as one piece read 68.6 oz. So that should answer most questions
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Just bought one, mines going on a Senior Telemaster V1 that I'm starting.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted and used a GX31, which is the same engine only larger, on a Giant Eindekker. It worked ok, though a bit underpowered for that plane.

It can be run inverted, but it's problematic. The oil slowly runs down and collects on the spark plug. I used to take the plug out and stick a piece of paper towel in the hole. Then remember to turn the airplane over and check the oil when you want to run it. Upright should be no problem.

Without the airfilter and with a free flowing muffler or straight stack, expect to have problems getting the carb to go rich enough. If you do a carb swap, do some research here in the forum and find a WYK barrel style carb with dual adjustment needles to replace yours.

But the sound is really cool, and it will barely "sip" gasoline.....

AV8TOR