Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Need help with 1/4 Scale Balsa Cub Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Ave8or
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 1/4 Scale Balsa Cub Kit

I am new to the gas engine thing, so please bear with me, Will a 31cc ryobi work on the Balsa USA Kit?, if so what prop size do you reccomend? and how about radio and servo selection?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
Old 06-12-2004, 11:32 AM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need help with 1/4 Scale Balsa Cub Kit

Hello,

I'm pretty new to this gas engine thing myself, but looking at the wing area and the fact that a cub flies on the wing so to speak the engine will probably be a little more power than needed for scale manuevers. It should fly just fine probably off the ground in 10-15 feet. Again I am no expert. Just my .02. Good luck and happy flying! Ben

P.S. I have read that a good rule of thumb is to say 1 cu. inch of displacement for every 10 pounds of airframe.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Peter G.

Hi Ave8or;

I have a clipped wing cub from, I believe Sig. The reason I say I believe was the wing only was given to me. Any way, I made a fuselage and put a Ryobi 28cc. on it. The plane weighed 14lbs before I added smoke to it. Back then it would hover for around 2-5 seconds before tail slidding. Now at 15lbs it does not really hover at all. It still has way more power though than a scale cub and will snap, roll, and loop without having to dive first.

I have a 18 x 8 MA. on it and on a good day tach close to 7000 rpms. I hear this is pretty good. I have an over size carb on it and opened up the muffler with two 1/2inch pipes exiting the can. Some guy's can not get the same performance for one reason or another.

This plane is one of my favorite planes I have, it looks good, fly's great, starts with a flip or two of the prop and even sounds realistic. If I ever lost it I would build another in a heart beat.

Hope this helps you decide. Peter.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:11 PM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Ave8or,

Take a look at; www.carrprecision.com as he has some popular engine conversions and prop sizes recommended there. As Peter G. says, an 18x8 or 18x10 probably will do the trick. Good luck and happy flying. Ben
Old 06-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Ave8or
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks guys for all the help, ya I figured it was a overkill going with the 31cc, but hey, it should be a screamer.

Thanks
Chuck
Old 06-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Peter G.

Hi Ave8or;

Just keep in mind that an over powered cub can make it quite difficult to control on the ground. I am a fair builder but not as good a pilot. The cub can get squirrly on the ground and in particular on the pavement. I have seen others over power their cubs and could barely take them off. When they installed a smaller engine it was a totally different plane.

I am not sure what weight your cub is supposed to come in at, but I think your choice is still a good one.

Peter