Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

ryobi install pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 06:18 PM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ryobi install pics

does anyone have pics of their ryobi installation?

I have the Wacker conversion parts, but I cant find pics or instructions showing it. The way I have it assembled it looks as though I will need to drill right through the mount wall for the throttle rod. By wall, I mean drilling at the corner slotting up the wall. Or, close to it anyway.

Just wanted to see other installations if possible.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 12-29-2004, 12:41 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: ryobi install pics

Rob,

I am at the same point as you. I have the Wacker parts on my Ryobi and am ready to start the mounting.
Lets see some pics.

Thanks
Bill
Old 12-29-2004, 10:43 PM
aero nut

Hey Bill! Have you received your Ryan's Rebel yet? you shoul have it by now please let me know when you do.
Thanks
Bill Pomplun (Aero Nut)
Old 12-29-2004, 10:58 PM
dirtypool

does the carb gasket go between the spacer and the rear housing or between the carb and the spacer?

Almost have mine done. Just kind of figured it out myself. (a couple extra holes here and there never hurt, right?)

Will post pics when done.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:13 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There should be a gasket on each side of the spacer. Reuse the old one or cut another new one from a magazine cover or something?

Jim
Old 12-29-2004, 11:20 PM
dirtypool

OK.

I think I'll go by the mower shop tomorrow and pick one up along with some more tygon line.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:39 PM
dirtypool

ok, I have both gaskets on now.

Unfortunately the fuel line I picked up seems to be the wrong size. Its ok on the carb, but the primer bulb and fuel tank don't seem real tight. Perhaps that is fine since the system is not pressurized.

Not much room on the throttle linkage either.

Hopefully I put the right carb on there. One of them needed to be re-built and one worked fine. Of course it was all straight in my head when I disassembled them and put them in boxes, but now that I actually need to use one its not quite so clear in the old noggin.

Are all the Walbro's pretty much the same? 1149 on it, I have an 1124 from the McCulloch 28cc. What carbs are you guys using?

Almost picture time.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:19 PM
dirtypool

One more thing.

I mounted the engine upright. Should it be inverted for the exhaust?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 PM
CrazyHerb
My Feedback: (1)

Here's my install.
http://www.crazyherb.com/BigPink/Picture015.jpg

http://www.crazyherb.com/BigPink/IMG_0713.JPG

Yes, I did have to make a notch in the hole in the back of the mount for the throttle pushrod to align...not hard though.

Upright or inverted....Your choice...won't effect it...
http://www.crazyherb.com/PLANK/IMG_1264.jpg
Good Luck!
CrazyHerb
Old 12-30-2004, 11:05 PM
dirtypool

Thanks Herb.

Do you put landing gear on that Plank?

Do you use hinge tape (like Zagi) or regular tape for your hinges?

Got plans for a Delta that will take a Ryobi?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:08 PM
dirtypool

Also Herb,
Wacker (now) puts a hole in the side of the aluminum tubing mount for the throttle arm to have more clearance. Was that one a Wacker in your pic? if so, it must have been an older one.

I like the Wacker stuff. He's not the fastest but the price is right.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Culver10

Hey Herb, Did you build that yourself? or is an ARF??
Old 12-31-2004, 06:25 PM
RedWing

aero nut,

Got it.
I was out of town.
Looks great!
Now I have a lot of work to keep me busy.
Thanks

Bill
Old 12-31-2004, 07:23 PM
dirtypool

Ok, now I cant get my Ryobi to start. Using an electric drill, I can get it to start to pop a little. A small amount of smoke comes out of the exhaust and I can feel it pop while cranking with the drill. It won't start and I dont know why. I have spark, but not as good as my ch-ignition (from my McCulloch). Fuel is in the cylinder. I tried some manually. Tried to put another carb on there but I broke the throttle arm off of it during the modification phase. Took the carb off of my Ryobi trimmer, but it is a Zama and I would have to cut off the idle adjustment arm on the case of the carb. If I did that, it could not be returned to the trimmer.

So, I am stuck. I have 4 engines and none of them will run. 2 macs and 2 ryobis.

I dont know if it is a carb problem, ignition problem, procedural problem, or what. I have ordered the ryobi kit for my ch-ignition but he was out of stock and waiting for the machinist.

Guess I will shelf this project for a while. Really frustrating considering all of the time I have spent trying to the this thing back in the air.

Adding insult to injury, my Futaba receiver began chattering and then just quit. Guess that will have to go back for repair.

So, if I wanted to order a new carb with the primer bulb built into the carb, which one should I get? I have searched the forums but I can't seem to find it.

Should have worked today.

Rob
Old 01-02-2005, 07:03 PM
dirtypool

Here are some pics.

But, now I cant get the darn thing to start. I think that my weed eater is going to have to make the ultimate sacrifice!

Anyway, I might pull the firewall adapter plate off and relieve some room in there so it doesn't bend as seen in the photos.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18863.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	209755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31561.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	209756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11625.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	209757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58149.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	209758  
Old 01-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Antique

Dirtypool, Is that ignition coil rubbing against the flywheel? Looks like rub marks in the pict.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

Dirtypool... the tubes on your muffler looks kind of thick did it come from wacker engines? You say your engine want run try gas in the cylinder. Or take the screen out of your carb.

Thanks
smallplanes
Old 01-02-2005, 08:29 PM
dirtypool

Thanks for the feedback.

The flywheel may have been rubbing on the coil in its past life, but it is clear now. I put some cardstock between them when tightening down the coil and made sure there was clearance.

I just dont seem to get a good SNAP spark like I did with the CH Ignition on my other engine.

I did not bench run the engine before installing - my mistake. I have 2 Ryobis stripped and ready, one is the one on the plane and I have another 28cc. One of them did not run and the other one was a maybe. I cant remember which was which now though. I KNOW my weedeater runs good though. I have 2 weedeaters so I can sacrifice one of them.

Those parts are Wackers. I have put gas directly into the cyl as well as primed the crap out of it. Using an electric drill for a starter, all I can get is the occasional "pop" but it wont run. I get a little smoke out of the pipes but it wont stay running.

One problem is: I have these two motors that I have exchanged coils, etc but I dont know what works and what doesnt so it could be a carb problem, coil problem, engine problem, etc. I need to start with a known good one and compare.

My weedeater doesnt have the walbro carb, it has the ZAMA. Is it ok to cut off that part of the case that sticks out for the idle adjustment. I know I dont need the idle screw, but I just want to make sure it is ok to cut the case. It doesnt look like there could possibly be any passages running through it. It is just a small "arm" that sticks out for the idle stop screw.

What carbs are you guys running on the Ryobis?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Firewalkerd1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Herb
Do you have more on that what looks like a pink big stick in the post picture. I have a ryobi that needs a plane.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
dirtypool

Firewalker,

Just check out his website:
[link=http://www.crazyherb.com/BigPink/bigpink.htm]www.crazyherb.com[/link]
Old 01-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Culver10

I really enjoyed your website and movie Crazyherb, thankyou!! Looks like you can tell all those airfoil experts where to go. What would you compare the noise level to? It sounds quite loud compared to some of the small 4 strokes. I have a Senior Telemaster that I grafted a 31cc Ryobi to, and not yet flown or finished, but I need to keep the volume level down so as not to piss off the neighbors. What is the best mufler to help keep the DB's down? I figure the Ryobi in the Telemaster should be like a 300 Hp Supercub?

Thanks for any help,

Phil in the frozen artic
Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 AM
seanpatsdad

Dirtypool
I have the same set up as you.I am still working on it and was wondering about the primer bulb.Is it inline with the fuel line to the carb.Or what is the plumbing of it.Thanks for any help.
John
Old 01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Culver10

This is from Jagengines web site http://www.jagengines.com/2instructs.htm

. You may use the bulb pump to prime the engine. The angled inlet pipe on the carburetor is connected to the clunk line on your tank. The bulb pump line goes to the straight inlet pipe of the carburetor and goes to the muffler pressure line bent to bottom of your standard R/C Tank. A third line that can be closed off with a screw in the line is used as a fill/vent line. If the bulb primer is not to be used, close off the straight inlet pipe with fuel line and screw to plug the line. Choke engine to prime. A standard electric starter works well to start this engine. It’s hard to turn the prop fast enough to get a good spark when propped by hand. If using a starter, you may not wish to use the bulb primer. Just choke it while the starter is running and it should start immediately.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:16 PM
seanpatsdad

Thanks for the info.I will try it without the bulb.
John
Old 01-05-2005, 09:07 PM
dirtypool

Yeah, I have the bulb inline which does work as the pump can draw through it, but it doesnt prime very well. It is supposed to go to the straight line in the carb. (usually near the needles)