Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Fuel System on Conversion

Old 04-20-2003, 01:30 PM
FLYPUCK
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel System on Conversion

I am installing a converted gas engine with an inlet and outlet on the carb and am not quite sure how to run both to the fuel tank. The inlet is self explanitory but the outlet seems to have something to do with the priming bulb.
Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-20-2003, 03:14 PM
GKraemer

Default Carb outlet

I had the same question for my homelite.
The outlet can be run into the inlet using a "T" fitting or you can just let it like it is. When you push the primer bulb, it will fill and if you keep pushing it, the excess fuel will just be expelled out the outlet. If you are a "button pusher" or a smoker, you may want to plumb it back into the inlet to keep from pumping fuel allover the place. Mine didn' leak after I stoped priming. I flew it with nothing connected to the outlet.

Garry
Old 04-20-2003, 03:18 PM
FLYPUCK

Default Carb Outlet

Thanks a ton Garry!
That really helps me out.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:48 PM
mikenlapaz

IMHO you should not t back into the inlet side. when you use the primer bulb you are not only drawing fuel in thru the inlet but you are exhausting the air from the cavities within the carb. A 'T' to inlet puts air in your intake line, which reduces the pumps ability to suck fuel from the tank. Worse case it could allow that trapped air in the fuel line to work its way back into the carb at the worst possible moment. rolls loop spins etc.

If you use the primer bulb, plumb it back to the tank. ( a connection on the outlet side of the primer bulb may be a good location to plumb in a fill 'T' fitting with plug.

air compresses, liquids do not. Conversely that little bit of suction that the fuel pump generates does not like air in the intake line it reduces it effectiveness a bunch!
Old 04-22-2003, 03:57 PM
FLYPUCK

Default Return Line

Sound like I need to run it back to the tank as a second vent line.

Thanks Guys!
Old 04-23-2003, 12:10 AM
mikenlapaz

I use all three openings in the tank plug;
1) clunked w/ filter direct to intake of carb;
2) clunked w/ filter return line from primer bulb, Redundant yes but I plan to use that line as a fill for tank as well and fuel can not be too clean;
3) vent line to aft exterior of fuse, to help keep things cleaner; it will exit far enough to allow a plug for fumes while transporting, I do not like the smell and I still smoke in the car.
Tygon lines with hose clips inside fuse.