Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

crankcase sealing on gas/glow conversions

Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

crankcase sealing on gas/glow conversions

Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Bradh2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankcase sealing on gas/glow conversions

I am new to gas/glow conversions and just finished up my 56cc stihl conversion. I used permatex moto1 high temp gasket maker to seal the crankcase halves.

During the initial testing, I had problems drawing fuel, but it did fire with a squirt into the carb. I took it home and broke down the carb and cleaned it. All gaskets looked good, so I did not rebuild it.

Second attempt started out good, but I noticed fuel leaking from the crankcase halves. I never did get it running other than WOT, so I broke it down and the permatex was gooey on the inside of the motor.

Has anyone had similar issues? I have read the monster thread and yamabond was mentioned, but I have not tried it yet. I also read that Right Stuff was a great sealer. I assume this problem is due to the nitro in the mix, or maybe the methanol. Has anyone had similar problems with their conversions? What did you use to seal it up?

I am getting a carb rebuild kit tomorrow, but need some idea on the best product to seal the crankcase halves that will stand up to the gas, nitro, methanol and heat. I really want to get this thing running for a test run this Sunday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzEdC8XN2SU

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: crankcase sealing on gas/glow conversions

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ket_makers.htm
Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

I use Yamabond case sealant exclusively and it works great. I also use it on Volkswagen engine crankcases and any other split crankcase engine as well. Loctite also makes a good product for this, but I can't remember the number. Check their website for info.

AV8TOR
Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Bradh2000

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Do you think the problems I had getting anything other than WOT would point to this crank leak? I am still gonna rebuild the carb, but just wonder if increasing carb passages is needed. I richened the carb to 3.5 turns out and could not get anything other than WOT. Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
w8ye

Sounds as much like a carb problem like the butterfly is reversed or something
Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Bradh2000

Butterfly is right, but I did not rebuild the carb per the strong recommendation. If I start to back off WOT it just dies, even with the glow igniter hooked up. I am pretty sure it is running real lean, so I richened both needles from 2 to 2.5 to 3 then even 3.5 turns out, so the carb rebuild in conjunction with the correcting the crankcase leak may get me over the hump. I am just fit to be tied to get this beast running by Saturday so I can test run my boat Sunday morning. I also want to thank av8tor, Ralph and all the others who have contributed to this topic. This is some really cool stuff
Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

try prying the regulator lever out a few thousandths, if it's only running at 3.5 turns out there isn't good control there, take care of the crankcase seal issue first though
Old 08-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Bradh2000

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Sounds as much like a carb problem like the butterfly is reversed or something
OK, you were right and I was wrong. I picked up the carb rebuild kit at lunch. I was looking down the venturi and noticed the butterfly was indeed opening away from the idle circuits. Sorry for wasting everyone's time, but I do believe you nailed it. I still think the crank seal is another issue that needed dealing with. But I got some great feedback and appreciate everyones quick response that will inevitably result in a resolution to my problem. You guys are the bomb !

Hopefully the next vid will be of a good idle with a smooth transition to WOT. Then vids of me setting a speed record Sunday
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 AM
JohnF

BradH, I am no boat expert but it seems to me you are going to turn your boat into a snow plow with that gizmo on the bow. Has anyone else used that?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Bradh2000

ORIGINAL: JohnF

BradH, I am no boat expert but it seems to me you are going to turn your boat into a snow plow with that gizmo on the bow. Has anyone else used that?
I put the spoiler on to prevent flipping at high speed. It did plow though...good call [:@] And the boat at 20lbs, did not need it. At least not yet I had 1/2" standoffs if needed, but did not use them since I could not flip it.

I know this is not the boat forum, but I said I would post a vid once I got the motor running, so here it is. I did not get it tuned real well and the 20x8 prop might not be giving me the best performance for airboat use, but I was pleased for its maiden voyage. Thanks to all the guys who have perfected the gas/glow setup and who helped me get this thing going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPxfP-uZkdE
Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Looks like fun. Where can one get the plans for that boat?

AV8TOR
Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 PM
w8ye

As long as it goes ruuuuun - - yung yung yung We like it Boat, car, plane, or heli
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Bradh2000

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Looks like fun. Where can one get the plans for that boat?

AV8TOR
Chris Selph, goes by Selph Inflicted on RCU or you can check his site at rcairboats dot net. I know he offers plans electronically, but not sure if he sell printed plans.