RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   Echo ES302 saw (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/10660294-echo-es302-saw.html)

rangerfredbob 08-07-2011 06:00 PM

Echo ES302 saw

Just picked one up for $5, anyone converted one? Looking on acresinternet it's only 30cc from around '80. Looks like a decent candidate for a higher output 30cc conversion engine but I'm pretty sure the crankcase will have to be extracted from the saw body...

av8tor1977 08-07-2011 09:35 PM

RE: Echo ES302 saw

I'm not sure of the model numbers.... I have one Echo 30cc from a chainsaw that will make an easy conversion, and my brother has one also. They have a reed valve carb setup mounted to the bottom of the crankcase opposite the cylinder, and rear exhaust.

I do believe there is another 30cc Echo chainsaw that has the case as part of the engine as you mention. These type engines where the engine is part of the case are harder to convert, but generally come out lighter.

AV8TOR

rangerfredbob 08-07-2011 09:51 PM

mine's this one I know it's side exhaust but haven't pulled the air filter yet to look if it's reed or piston port induction, I've seen their database wrong before on induction type, might play with it tomorrow evening

MSS999 08-08-2011 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Coincidently, I was spending some leisure time over the weekend looking at chainsaw short blocks on the well known auction site and came across this Echo CS500EVL. Yours may look something like it.

I can't quite see how one would extract the crankcase out of that - is there a crank case inside the red casing or is the red casing the crankcase?

MSS.

Update: Think I've answered my own question with the attached parts diagram. It may also help with the CS302.

av8tor1977 08-08-2011 08:52 AM

Yes, I have both a 50cc and a 30cc Echo engine with the configuration shown in your picture. You have to dis-assemble them completely, and carefully saw the crankcase portion out of the saw. It's a bit of a hassle, but you will be quite surprised at how light the engine is when you are done; much lighter than an engine out of a chainsaw that has the engine separate from the saw body itself, and much lighter than a leaf blower engine. You will have to drill and tap the crankcase to accept an aluminum plate for mounting.

All in all not an easy "slam dunk" conversion like some of the other engines, but worth it in my mind in any case. I have my two engines partially converted. I will post pictures of them when I get home in a couple of weeks if anyone is interested.

AV8TOR

Scota4570 08-08-2011 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: MSS999

Coincidently, I was spending some leisure time over the weekend looking at chainsaw short blocks on the well known auction site and came across this Echo CS500EVL. Yours may look something like it.

I can't quite see how one would extract the crankcase out of that - is there a crank case inside the red casing or is the red casing the crankcase?

MSS.

Update: Think I've answered my own question with the attached parts diagram. It may also help with the CS302.
Like he said. It is not to bad, just time consuming. Lop off unnecessary bits and a svelte block will appear. Make a back plate that is held in place with the four screw that hold the block together. I use a band saw for most of it. I then go to a disk sander with about 50 grit paper. CLEAN UP THE FILINGS! The next time you touch steel to the disk you will make sparks and the bench will erupt in white hot fire that does not extinguish with any normal measures. The crankcase is magnesium. I had shop fires twice before I got smart and cleaned up the mess immediately. You will also have to be handy with a lathe to make the prop hubs. The link is to a CS-650 I did. I have also done two CS-510s. Good engines all.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94...tm.htm#9479641

rangerfredbob 08-08-2011 09:53 PM

I had to extract this guy:
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Planes009.jpg
from it's former saw home a few years ago, hopefully be maidening this combo before the end of the flying season... that's a 52cc Pioneer saw, I used a hack saw and files, goes fairly quickly

av8tor1977 08-08-2011 10:39 PM

Interesting exhaust. Part original, part homemade?

Looks good, get 'er flying!

AV8TOR

rangerfredbob 08-09-2011 05:56 AM

yeah, that muffler made the perfect pitts muffler, just had to pull the back steel plate off, weld tubes on and crimp it back on. Maybe next weekend I'll take it out...

av8tor1977 08-09-2011 09:03 AM

Well good luck on the maiden, and let us know how it goes. I am assuming you have already run the engine? How does it run?

AV8TOR

rangerfredbob 08-09-2011 12:04 PM

I've ran it, it turned the Pro Zinger 22x10 that I have on it with authority but was running it by myself so I couldn't get a tach reading. The carb adapter on the other side is out of Delrin too, I'm hoping that holds up as it looks fairly clean. Back in '06 I had this plane flying with the Mac 32 that's on my ultra stick, but it was just enough engine to fly it around, this should improve things a bit.