RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   Nitrous Oxide for a gas engine? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/11473233-nitrous-oxide-gas-engine.html)

jp1961 04-10-2013 02:20 PM

Nitrous Oxide for a gas engine?

I'm trying to get more power from my 25cc Homelite engine. I've been kicking around the idea of adding nitrous oxide. You can get small N2O cylinders the size of a CO2 cylinder that a BB gun uses. Plumbing it wouldn't really be that hard, you could use a small gas solenoid, the type they use for turbines to control the flow. A channel could be set up to give you a boost when needed. I'm not worried about melting a hole in the piston, as I picked this engine out of the trash. Ever been done before?

Jeff

earlwb 04-10-2013 06:32 PM

RE: Nitrous Oxide for a gas engine?

Well http://www.rbinnovations.com/ sells complete Nitrous kits to install on RC car engines, so it would not be difficult to use one on a airplane engine.
But the time is limited when you use the NOS boost. So I don't know if it'll help you out all that much.

irocbsa 04-11-2013 06:39 AM

Don't forget that you will need a way of injecting extra fuel as well or else you will burn a hole in the piston, and do it rather quickly at that.

1QwkSport2.5r 04-11-2013 05:13 PM

Mix a couple ounces of some 10-15% nitro glow fuel into your gas can. I run "spiked" gas in my ice auger for a little extra power. Works good and it hasn't fouled the diaphragm in the two years of doing this either. You could add straight nitro too, if you have some.

av8tor1977 04-12-2013 10:49 AM

The Walbro WT-499 carb is made for your size engine, and alcohol use. With that carb you could run straight methanol, available at speed shops and go kart racing outlets, mixed of course with oil.

This would give a nice power boost.

Also, what is your setup? If you are using a stock muffler, stock carb, and/or have a worn ring, you can pick up a lot of power, (a lot!) right there.... Going from magneto to CDI ignition also provides a boost, as you can optimize the ignition timing. Then there are porting mods, pinning the piston and using a special ring which lets you grind the bridge out of the exhaust port, etc.

See here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2621860

Been racing all kinds of things for years, and the first rule is, "Never hop up a worn engine; make it fresh first, and then do your hop up mods." I have had engines that ran well, but picked up 800 rpms with just a new ring....

AV8TOR

1QwkSport2.5r 04-12-2013 03:44 PM

You'd want to raise the compression to better use the methanol. Being lower compression stock, it would take nitro better. I suppose milling the jug and adjusting port timing would work if one had the tools to do so.

jp1961 04-13-2013 02:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's basically a stock Homelite 25cc. I did machine a velocity stack for the carb (did seem to improve throttle response) and added a muffler made from an aluminum hairspray can (8 oz). I can't upload a picture due to problems with RCU's website.

Jeff[img][/img]

av8tor1977 04-13-2013 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

You'd want to raise the compression to better use the methanol. Being lower compression stock, it would take nitro better. I suppose milling the jug and adjusting port timing would work if one had the tools to do so.
While it is certainly true that running methanol will generally allow one to run a higher compression, running methanol with no other changes will still result in a power increase. This is because while methanol has a lower BTU than gasoline, you have to run twice as much of it in an engine, which results in a net horsepower gain. There is also a gain because the methanol tends to cool the incoming mixture, hence making the mix more dense and affording a power increase for that reason as well.

AV8TOR

Iflyglow 04-14-2013 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Mix a couple ounces of some 10-15% nitro glow fuel into your gas can. I run ''spiked'' gas in my ice auger for a little extra power. Works good and it hasn't fouled the diaphragm in the two years of doing this either. You could add straight nitro too, if you have some.
You should not mix NitroMethane with gas since they do not blend well at all. You want to use NitroPropane which will mix with methanol or gasoline. Klotz sells a product called Nitro™ which is an oxygenating power additive developed for gasoline and methanol alcohol fuels. Nitro® is designed to extract the maximum level of horsepower from stock and modified engines. Contains 50% Nitropropane and 50% Koolinal™ as a blending and cooling agent. Koolinal™ resists detonation and pre-ignition. Dyno test indicate substantial power increases may be obtained when using Klotz® Nitro™. Blends with methanol alcohol and gasoline.

av8tor1977 04-14-2013 06:51 PM

Ummm..... well, check this out: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80..._1/key_/tm.htm

We've been doing it for many years now....

AV8TOR

1QwkSport2.5r 04-14-2013 06:54 PM

I usually add a nitro/methanol mix to gasoline although I have had straight nitro mix with clear gas rather well. I like to have a little castor in my gas as well and if I just add mixed glow fuel to my gas I get all three birds killed with one stone. I eventually will run most of my small gasoline engines on methanol, I just need to get some alcohol safe carb parts.

Mowing the grass is rewarding... Fresh cut grass with a whiff of castor and nitro. Heaven!

av8tor1977 04-15-2013 09:55 AM

Just everyone remember, you ALWAYS add the nitro to the gas, and NOT the gas to the nitro. If you add gasoline to pure nitro, it will at some point in the mixing process reach a mixture ratio that is potentially unstable and explosive. Pouring the nitro into the gasoline instead avoids this possibility.

AV8TOR

Iflyglow 04-17-2013 04:42 PM

Nitro propane is designed to be mixed with gas or methanol, stays suspended, and most importantly is recommended by the fuel and oil manufactures like klotz who sell both forms of nitro. Nitromethane is intended to be mixxed with methanol only, will not stay suspended with out additional chemical's, and has been known to seperate allowing the engine to gulp a fatal amount of nitro.

tkg 04-17-2013 05:44 PM

It just would be simpler to convert your engine to a 30cc Homelite