RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   Stinger 120 Kit which engine to use? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/1938567-stinger-120-kit-engine-use.html)

wldcwbypilot 06-26-2004 11:04 PM

Stinger 120 Kit which engine to use?

I have had a couple of threads on this engine conversion arena. I have had some good info passed on to me as to how to procede with a conversion. I ordered a Stinger 120 thru a friends hobby shop. I checked on the prices of Zenoah aircraft engines that maybe used and am not too enthused by the price tags on them. I did some research on conversions that may fly my Stinger both the 25cc Homelite and the 31cc Ryobi. I would like to know, what weedy engine most of you would use for this application? I found a site before, that had some really good pictures to go along with the instructions on converting different weed whackers and chain saw engine for model aircraft use. I lost the websites due to old computer syndrone, any help would be appreciated in locating that site again.

Will

xvz12 06-27-2004 10:45 AM

RE: Stinger 120 Kit which engine to use?

I can no longer find the web page, but I downloaded a great article a while back by Joe Guzzardi entitled "Teaching a Weed Whacker how to Fly". If you'd like, I can email it to you in PDF format. It is a very detailed article with great pictures on how to convert a Ryobi engine. Personally I have 3 Homie 25cc engines, one I bought already converted, the other two I did myself, following instructions I'd found in this forum. I'd like to try a Ryobi, but at this moment, I haven't run across one, other than the one in my existing weedeater......Hmmmmmm, I wonder if I can convince my wife it's time for a new one......;)

glowplugboy 06-27-2004 01:34 PM

Check out the GCBM R/C 25cc gasser at [link=http://www.gcbmrc.com]GCBM R/C Models Inc.[/link]. It is a perfect gas engine for the 120 Stinger.

Longaly 06-27-2004 09:02 PM

Will,

Try this web page for how to on Ryobi conversions.

http://www.scaleaero.com/whackerconversions.htm

Rich

xvz12 06-27-2004 09:37 PM

wldcwbypilot;
I got your email, but when I sent the article to you, it bounced.[:o] Unfortunately, I deleted your email before I got the bounce notification, so I can't try again. Please email me again, & I'll try to send it to you again.

wldcwbypilot 06-27-2004 09:54 PM

Thanks so far the info has been very helpful since I will need to save as much money as possible on the engine. I will have to do most of the work on the conversion. I would like to hear opinions with good solid reasoning behind as to which engine to go with Homey or Ryobi. Both are about 70 to 75 dollars for a new one at my local Sutherlands or Home Depot.

fwman1 06-27-2004 10:40 PM

Home Depot $99 Homelite 33 Bandit chainsaw. Simple conversion, better power than the weedwackers, and you don't need a new carb. Check out the thread in the here in the conversions forum.

wldcwbypilot 06-28-2004 12:10 PM

Thanks Fwman, but I am not ready to do a chainsaw engine. They're a more involved conversion and I am tool limited. I know chainsaws are bigger and have more power, but i am very skeptical about getting rid of enough weight off the engine for my application. Please, more info about your experiences.

Will

smokingcrater 06-28-2004 01:55 PM

I was in the exact same spot a year ago or so, check out the homelite 25cc offered by Mike (GCBMrc - glowplugboy) (see above) great price, and pulls the stinger around fairly well. it isn't a hovering 3d monster, but flys great as a sport plane.

skypilit 06-29-2004 06:58 PM

m I am just about to start on the same plane project and asking around at the airfield where a couple of guys have one allready told me to use nothing less than a 35cc because of the thick airfoil wing. Another friend told me for 3d flight, a 50cc or bigger should be used. he has a 50cc Fuji in an extra of the same size and weight and he says it will hover good but not enough power to pull out of it good. He is going to buy a bigger one soon. Show us some pics of the build after starting.

Dave

skypilit 06-30-2004 04:42 PM

Were did I lern to spell?

Volfy 07-01-2004 12:51 AM

To make a good fitting recommendation, you'll need to tell us what your expectations are for this plane. Do you just want to putt-putt around the sky and do the loopty-loop every so often, or do you want some semblance of vertical performance? If you choose the former, then any old weezy weedie would do just fine. With all that wing area, the Stinger will be a floater even if you build the short wing. OTOH, a 40-50cc should pull the Stinger straight up till it's outa sight - IF that's your sort of thing. The Stinger airframe is certainly strong enough to take up to a 50cc.

I disagree that the chainsaws are any more difficult to convert than the weedies. Even the Ryobi 31cc, which may seem like a straight strip down and bolt on, takes some cutting and trimming to get operational. Some of the chainsaws (Homie and Poulan, etc.) have bolt on parts readily available and require very little if any machining to finish. Up front cost, however, is usually a little higher.

My choice would be either a dual-ring Ryobi 31cc or a 33cc chainsaw, depending on what is available in your area. Don't worry about a little extra weight. Again, with the big ol' plank of a wing, you can throw on another 2lbs,and it won't even notice it.