RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   turbocharged 25cc homelite whipper snipper (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/3210902-turbocharged-25cc-homelite-whipper-snipper.html)

tim_n 07-29-2005 03:25 AM

turbocharged 25cc homelite whipper snipper

1 Attachment(s)
Hi [8D]

I’m an 18yr old petrol head [>:]and I like to modify any engine that I have in my hands.:D

One day I got given a 25cc homelite motor long time a go for free because it was broken. The carbie needed a tune up and clean. The piston was all carboned up, the motor was on its last legs. Then I had a thought [sm=confused.gif]"can U put a turbocharger on a 2 stroke whipper snipper”. First I started off by doing a port and polish to the block taking about 5mm off the exhaust and inlets. Next I gave the carbie a good jetting by doubling the hole sizes. Then a made a velocity stack and put it on the carbie, increased power by double. Next I started making the turbo manifold using copper pipe. I started making the turbo from a small TIN CAN and joining the bits of metal with solder. I had some trouble with the exhaust wheel on the turbo at first cause the solder kept on melting on high revs. So I found a way around it by cooling the exhaust by making a water/steam injection system into the carbie. It cooled the motor lots and had a slight increase in power. Next I found that it was a bit too loud because of having no muffler on it, so I made a small resonator out of some sheet metal. My friends thought I was crazy when I started running it off ethanol:D and 2 stroke racing motor bike oil. That made the power skyrocket[8D]. It start to back fire when coming down from revs. When the turbo was all hooked up and running right I have about 2psi out of the inlet of the turbo. Then for the final touch I made a small pod filter just for looks.:eek:

THIS IS ONLY MY PROTOTYPE!!!!!!!!!
have to use the MIG next[:o]

Feel free to ask any questions!

[sm=bananahead.gif]I hope I’m the first person to own a turbo whipper snipper in the world.[sm=bananahead.gif]

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 07-29-2005 06:05 AM

RE: turbocharged 25cc homelite whipper snipper

posted on here a while back was a turbo smaller than a can of cola... with that being said.... you have a neat project there, one thing though you wont need a tuned pipe because you are doing that job with the turbo and tuned pipes have certain lengths that they work with so adding a foot of hose on a pipe pretty much negates its purpose.

Crusty 07-30-2005 02:18 AM

AArgh, not again
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3200628/tm.htm[/link]

tim_n 08-06-2005 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi umm [sm=thumbup.gif]
My turbo is rough fully half the size of a coke can.

Weight: 190 grams could be lighter though:eek:
Length: 100mm with the air intake pipe[:-]
Diameter: 50mm
Turbine wheels: 45mm Diameter

The reason for the long rubber piping was to cool the exhaust temp down. I tried running the turbo straight from the exhaust outlet first and then the rubber pipe and it didn’t make any difference. I think so long as there are no holes there should be the same volume of air coming out.

have you got any more ideas on how i can improve it any more?
i was thinking of a wastegate!:eek:

Ralphbf 08-06-2005 09:04 AM

Turbos I've seen are wraped to hold in the heat.

av8tor1977 08-06-2005 01:32 PM

Well, I applaud your ingenuity and perseverance, but you need to be careful. A turbo wheel can turn many TENS OF THOUSANDS of rpms. A homemade turbine wheel like yours could easily explode and seriously hurt you and/or bystanders.

Also, you only need a wastegate if the turbo is making more pressure than you can use/want.

AV8TOR

Antique 08-06-2005 02:12 PM

Come on, guys, you can't solder up some parts and make a turbocharger from tin cans...:eek:
I think we're being spoofed here, I'm with Crusty...:D
You don't just put a velocity stack on a carb and increase the power by "a double":eek:
Nice try Kid ;)

w8ye 08-06-2005 03:00 PM

Ralph,

You can see the impeller for the cool side in this picture....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...05/Us53767.jpg

Enjoy,

Jim

Antique 08-06-2005 03:22 PM

Could be, Crusty and I are waiting with our hats :D
Gotta see double power, even a REAL turbo can't do that..I have an old 1988 Dodge Daytona with a turbo, double power (about 280 hp) would be nice...:)

RTK 08-08-2005 10:48 PM

I once saw a guy take a 4 stroke Briggs & Stratton and convert it to a supercharged 2 stroke with a smog pump. Both valves were for intake and he ported the side for exhaust. (maybe the other way around) Sounded cool when it ran, made one hell of a noise when it self destructed.

It is fun to tinker though.

av8tor1977 08-08-2005 11:54 PM

Smokey Yunick, the racer, once used a smog pump to supercharge an engine on a dry lake racer... Gained a few mph out of it. Innovators win!

Good luck, but don't blow yourself up!
AV8TOR

Hobbsy 08-09-2005 06:53 AM

This thing simply can't work, the exhaust routing is completely wrong, the exhaust needs to routed from the outside of the turbo wheel and through the center to make some serious speed, the blower wheel has so much room around it that it couldn't move any air down the intake pipe beyond what the carb asked for on its own. The basic concept is there, function is not.

tim_n 08-10-2005 08:20 AM

[sm=surprised.gif]The extra power (might) just be from all the modifications that I have done.
Examples
Port and polish
Jetting the carbie “DOUBLE” the size
Velocity stack
Running off (proof) ethanol
Using 2 stroke racing motor bike oil
Water/steam injection system

[sm=tired.gif]I said Jetting the carbie double the size and adding a Velocity stack increased power by double.

Steve Sanford 08-10-2005 10:30 AM

It takes very little change in anything to make rpm differance in a engine that has no load on it. SS

Ralphbf 08-10-2005 11:13 AM

Doubling the size of a jet NEVER increases power.

Antique 08-10-2005 02:24 PM

Doubling the AREA, not diameter, is necessary when running proof (ethanol). the rpm DOES increase, but not double...Been tnere..600 rpm increase from gas/oil to glow fuel..18-6 gas, 9000 rpm, same engine 10 minutes later after changing only the carb, 9600 rpm on glow fuel..:D.

av8tor1977 08-10-2005 02:28 PM

Well, let's give the kid a break. At least he's trying and learning instead of playing video games and/or running around in a gang. I remember porting my first 50cc motorcycle when I was 14.... ran worse, but I learned!

AV8TOR

RTK 08-10-2005 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I remember porting my first 50cc motorcycle when I was 14.... ran worse, but I learned!

AV8TOR
My problem is I am not learning fast enough. Slow learner I guess.:D

Crusty 08-10-2005 04:21 PM

Do some of you actually beleive this thing works as claimed?, I have to admit I would find that quite shocking

Steve Sanford 08-10-2005 05:02 PM

There always has to be a first one. I wonder how many people were shocked in 1903? And a word to Tim N, if your gona run that thing without a load on it, better wear your flack jacket, I would wear it anyway with that turbine wheel. I still remember the meat hanging out of my arm in 1970 from that flywheel explosion! Keep us posted on updates, heck I might make one here this winter after I get finished building my house. SS

Crusty 08-11-2005 01:26 AM

Steve, I'll take that as a yes then:D
The example you give of the wright brothers achievement is a great, but unfortunately it takes great talent, insight and perserverence to achieve such advances, not a couple of hours making something that looks like a working device but is actually just an artistic representation with little engineering thought or practicle implementation
then making wild power claims without even mentioning the measuring method just doesnt wash with me I'm afraid, to old and hairy arsed for that;)

Ralphbf 08-11-2005 02:54 AM

For those that believe..... I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

av8tor1977 08-11-2005 09:11 AM

Of course porting and jetting the carb won't "double the power", a lot of any gains he's made may have been from just cleaning it up and getting it running right, etc. Also, he has no actual means of measuring the power, etc. However, he's young, and he's thinking, trying, and learning. THAT I applaud. So many kids show up when I am flying my models and have interest.... until they find out you have to build them. Then they quickly lose interest in this day and age of instant gratification and lazy kids. This is the type of guy that may someday invent something decent for us to play with, drive, etc., when gas disappears and/or costs $20.00 plus a gallon. I think he deserves encouragement.

Some of my beginning efforts with engines were incredibly crude and naive, but I guarantee you that I learned from every one.

AV8TOR

tripp3d 08-11-2005 04:37 PM

whats a whipper snipper?

aero nut 08-11-2005 08:09 PM

This goes for all of those people who are full of knowledge!!!
The main reason we are here on this forum is to hear people and to in a way "discuss and interchange our experiences" we learn from other people's expertise and I think that all the knowledge that we posses should be transmitted in a good manner and not criticize the lack of experience or the effort to self gain such, Big Ideas and inventions come from people that have a "spurt" of wild thinking that does'nt identify with the rest of us, so that is why I agree with Bob (av8tor1977) in the sense that we should be encouraging these minds and if we have to "guide" them with our great "knowledge" let's do so.