Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky honey bee CP

Old 04-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Flying Rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Esky honey bee CP

That's pretty cool stuff. I'm trying to figure out just how many of these parts would be needed. Are you going to use a ducted fan or tail rotor? I don't even have the heli yet and I'm already upgrading it...I'm sick!

ORIGINAL: jlb0305

helihobby.com has all the parts but i think you have to purchase each part seperately.

[link=http://helihobby.com/html/hummingbird_upgrades.html]click here[/link] and scroll down a bit to see the upgrade. looks like all they have in stock is silver and yellow though. don't know if it includes the motors or not.

also noticed on the main page the futaba 14 MZ... says it plays MP3's and more stuff... my question... well does it actually do controlling a heli?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
seanrolsen

Hey - me again.

I bought a ducted fan, and the dual tail motor set up and the assembly to connect it to the tail from helihobby.com last Thursday. I also got 4 GWS short tail mortors (they are a little lighter than stock) the same day. I didn't think of it untill later that all of this would weigh the tail down too much. And come to think of it, I have not seen any pics of the ducted fan installed on a micro heli. Does anyone have the ducted han on thier heli? The setup looked really cool, but will it get off the ground? MAybe I should upgrade my motor too, huh?

Oh, and I looked at prices for a TX the other day. I was shocked to see that they go up to like almost a Grand! What is the desired TX for the HB2? What's an affordable one, or isn't there?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
humveecrusher

Anyone try to adapt a different landing gear, say from a T-Rex?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
rbiasi

sean,
I've got a dual tail motor setup. The short tail motors are the way to go since they are two or three grams less than the stock motors. The tail is a bit heavier, but just move your battery forward to compensate. Just play with it until you get the COG right.

As for TXs. You can actually spend up to a few grand, but there are quite a few decent heli TXs in the sub $200 range. I have a Futaba 7CHP which I love. The Hitec Optic 6 and Eclipse 7 are also popular heli TXs in the same price range. Also, look for vendors that will sell you TX only. Like servo city, Bruckner Hobby (not sure if I spelled that right), or Modefo's. Most places sell the TX with an RX and servos, but the ones that come with them are to big/heavy for our micro helis.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
casipak
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, I saw the dual tail motor upgrade at helihobby.com too so check it out.

What do you guys use to disconnect the pitch control links from the blade holders?

Also, I need to replace my main gear and How do I take the old one off? Just carefully try and pull it off?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
rbiasi

I got a pair of ball link pliers for the pitch links, etc. Helihobby has a set for $10 that work on the HB2.

To get out the main gear you need to pull the pin that holds the rotor head and pop off the ball links that connect it to the swash and remove the rotor head. Now you can remove the landing gear and loosen the collar that holds the main shaft and slide it out. However, the hole for the pin that holds the rotor head usually gets burrs on it from the force of the head spinning up. So you have to clean that up with a jewlers file and sandpaper until you can get it past the swash, collar, and bearings.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Flying Rock

Have you been reading the Dragonfly 4 mods? I've seen T-Rex skids, DD tail rotors, modified heads with new rotors, etc. BTW, are the HB FP and Dragonfly 4 the same as the Hummingbird?

ORIGINAL: humveecrusher

Anyone try to adapt a different landing gear, say from a T-Rex?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:55 PM
rbiasi

humveecrusher,
Funny you should mention T-Rex landing gear. I broke my first set on my rex a few weeks ago (and my second set a few minutes ago, semi controlled crash from about 10'). The other day one of the skids from the broken set was laying next to my HB2 and I started thinking about putting those nice aluminum skids on the bee. The gear itself is way shorter than the HB2 gear. About half the height. So that wouldn't work (tail baldes would hit the ground) unless you made some sort of spacer or went to a ducted fan. But it's the damn plastic skids that always break anyways. I'll probably get the drill out and have a go at it in the next day or two.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 AM
rbiasi

BTW, are the HB FP and Dragonfly 4 the same as the Hummingbird?
No, very similar, but all made by different companies. The Hummingbird is from Century, the Honeybee from Esky, and I think the Dragonfly 4 is made by Walkera. Also there's the MS Hornet, the GWS/Feda/Jabo Dragonfly, etc. I think the original was the Ikarus Picolo. All very similar helis, but subtle little differences here and there. Some parts are interchangeable, some aren't.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:17 AM
batfalcon

Thanks jlb0305 for the link. I don't think that the motors are included in this price.

I tried the PE blades on the FP heli last night. [:-] Couldn't get of the ground even with WOT. I installed the 11,1 V lithium soon afterwards with no luck either.[:-][:-]. It spins the blades with tremendus speed but there is no lift out of it. So the PE blades are only for the CP [].

Today I am going to test the wooden blades (with pitch) I got from [link=http://www.heli-fever.com/index.php?cPath=6]heli-fever.com[/link], both at FP and CP helis. I'll keep you informed on the results.

Again I tried the 11,1 V on the FP (using the standard blades) and the behavior is awesome . The heli hovers at 2 m (6 feet) with LESS than 1/2 throttle. There is a huge reserve of power with this configuration. Half throttle is more than 2.5 m and the ceiling gets closer and closer, "cut the throttle" "cut the throttle", "cut the throttle", crrratch, oooooops "we are going down", "we are going down", PANIC. The stomach is bound up the brain commands the finger to give it a little throttle, just a little to prevent the crash, command is carried out, falling speed is reduced, hover about 0.3 m of the ground ouououoffff. I continued hovering for some 30 seconds and then landed.
Luckilly no damage on the heli. But both motors are hot. VERY hot. So I think that I shouldn't keep practicing with the 11,1 V battery.

Just to be on the safe side I ordered the "3-Cell Li-Poly Battery Monitor" from [link=http://www.eflightdesigns.com]eflightdesigns.com[/link].

What is your opinion on this? Have you tried the 3 cell pack on the FP heli?

Michael
Old 04-26-2005, 06:32 AM
jlb0305

I got the monitor... seems to work pretty well... bright red LED... i used electrical tape and attached it to the tail boom...

I have the CP though not the FP... should work the same though.

I don't know why the PE blades wouldn't work on the FP. They aren't made to do the tricks or invered flight, so I dunno...
Old 04-26-2005, 10:27 AM
rbiasi

Michael,
The PE blades are made for FP. So they should work. People put them on the CP because they give you a hover at lower head speed. However they tend to "cone" and I could never control the damn thing with those blades.

Not sure about 11.1v li-po bats on the FP. I think the CP ESC is designed to take 3 cell li-po's (I could swear I read that somewhere...), but I'm not sure about the FP. Also, check the model number on the CP 4-in-1. There are two different versions EMSG0A and EMSG0B. Current theory is that the B can handle li-po's, but the A will burn up. Jim from Jag Hobbies had a thread where he was trying to verify this. I don't know if he ever came to a conclusion.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

When using the PE blades for FP heli you need to use the offset washers
this adds pitch to the blades. You dont need the washers on the CP heli.

I tried the Hummingbird blades they seem a bit on the heavy side and run very smooth due to the weighted blade tips.

I have not had a chance to fly outside yet but the HB blades seem to be suited for this, maybe today. Just been having lots of fun.

I have a 2025-2700 sitting in the bin that might see its way to the HB2
Going to finish up two other tail setups as I have all the components to
make 2 extra tail assemblies including the boom. I need to develope a
quick change assembly for the boom.

Noticed the head has quite a bit of slop- would like to go with the helihobby metal head but $229 is steep - hope someone starts making
some nice upgrades for the HB2 since a Horizon hobby will be selling it
as the "Blade" micro heli.

Well off for a flight before I head to work
Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 PM
jlb0305

anyone have pics of setups? just wondering how everyone else has their tails set up and battery positions for COG
Old 04-26-2005, 06:08 PM
casipak

rbiasi,
can I just remove the landing gear and take off the main gear from underneath?
I just used regular pliers but since they had little ridges on the ends, I scratched up the litle balls on the blade holders. They still work but I'm afraid that if I take off the pitch control links with those pliers again they might get worse.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:19 PM
rbiasi

The main gear is press fit and pinned. The only way that I was able to get one off of the shaft was with a dremel cutting wheel. That was when I was playing around to see if a Hummingbird gear would fit the shaft. It did, but I put it on a bent shaft. Doh!

What are you replacing it with? the OEM replacement is a main shaft/gear assembly. I've replaced the shaft & gear about three times now, but I've always replaced it as a unit. The gear is on that shaft tight.

Maybe someone else out there has figured out how to replace just the gear.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:22 PM
casipak

I'm replacing it with the OEM replacement. I'll carefully try and see if I can take just the main gear off but if not, I'll do it the long way. I saw a hex screw inside the blade holders. Do I just unscrew them the holders go off?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Tucson01

Main gear replacement:

Pull off the skids at the frame

Pull the pin out of the head or drive it out with a small wire etc.
(If you hit anything while the blades were spinning the hole will be deformed at the sides of the shaft
you won't be able to get this area of the shaft past the swash ball or the bearings because there will be a lip)
Most likely you can get 400 or 600 grit sand paper and or jewelers file to take down the small bump to get it
past the swash ball and the bearings.

Loosen the set screw on shaft collar below the swashplate.

Pull the gear and shaft out.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 PM
rbiasi

I need to develope a quick change assembly for the boom.
tuscon01,
On my HB2 with the aluminum boom I drill the boom and hold it to the frame with a 1/2" 2-56 allen bolt and a lock nut. Works like a charm. There is a slot in the frame where the boom mounts that you can run the bolt through. The only downside is that you can't thread the tail motor wires through the boom with the bolt in there. I tried it once, shorted the wires and smoked the 4-in-1, but fortunately I was able to fix it. I haven't tried it with the CF boom yet. Aluminum is a hell of a lot easier to drill than CF.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:56 PM
rbiasi

I saw a hex screw inside the blade holders. Do I just unscrew them the holders go off?
casipak,
No, you only need to remove those screws if you are replacing the blade grips or the feathering shaft. If you pull the pin towards the bottom of the center hub the entire rotor head come off the main shaft without having to disassemble it. I always pull the head off, but tuscon01 is right. You could leave it attached and still get the main shaft out. But I think it will be hard to clean the burrs off of the shaft with the head there.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:46 AM
batfalcon

rbiasi, Tucson01,

Thanks for all the info. I didn't remembered the washers, so I didn't put them on the FP. Maybe that's the reason of NOT having enough lift force. I wii try it some time, although I think the best blades so far for the FP are the original ones. Maybe with a little clipping at the trailing edge .

Now, regarding the results for the test of the wooden blades with pitch from www.heli-fever.com.

I tried them on the CP, with mixed results. Because of the already installed wedge washers on the blades, you've got toooo muuuch pitch from the start. So you can hover the machine with veeeery little rpm. Of course because of the reduced head speed you have to trim the tail. The blades are longer (approx 2 cm), but narrower than the originals fully symetrical. To do the right job you must reduce significantly the pitch from the push rods, (which I didn't), so you gain some more head speed and stability. They've got only one small hole drilled so if you deside to use them on the FP, you've got to enlarge the hole.

That's why I didn't test them on the FP.

In conclusion, I haven't found a pair of blades cheaper and better than the originals, [], except the ones I accidentaly worked out .
Old 04-27-2005, 06:03 AM
casipak

Thanks for the help. I'll try both methods.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Tucson01

Tried the DD tail with IPS motor. DD motor pulls alot of amps cooked my 1amp diode[&:] Gives fast tail response but never had a problem with the stock tail as it was. Will save the 2 IPS motors
for a Ducted plane project. Countering the weight of the IPS motor is a bit nasty /might try to drill a hole in the heatsink and mount it evenly. Best bet I will pic up a Feigao and a cc10 and go with a brushless tail when I am ready.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:58 AM
batfalcon

I did the test with the wooden blades (with pitch) from www.heli-fever.com on the FP last night.

First I drilled a larger hole on each blade, replaced the standard short 2 mm screws with longer ones and intalled the blades. They prooved to be unbalaqnced though !!! . Removed them from the heli and balanced them using a thin brass sheet approx 1*1 cm placed on the upper side of the lighter blade. Then I used heat shrink tube (white color) and covered the whole length of both blades.

After the final balance check I put them on the heli again and made the test flight once more.

More stability is one of the (+) factors. The blades have enough pitch by themselves so no additional wedge washer (not included) is required. Didn't weighted them so I am not sure if they are lighter or heavier than the plastic originals.

The sound is the second (+) factor. They produce a lower in frequency and a bit louder sound, just a little bit, and more realistic than the plastics. Especially if you fly the heli head high you actually "feel" that fap-fap-fap-fap from the rotor. Personally I loved them.

There is one (-) factor though. They are wooden (aka breakable) .
For 11.25 USD (=8.7 €) + P&H I think they worth it.

By the way, each package sent from HK to Greece is charged with 11,25 USD (same price as blades) and it's been delivered within 7 working days. How much do you guys pay for P&H?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:28 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

ive paid from 10 to 20 dollars shipping from heli-fever ( to USA) , the more you buy the better the value, like i bought 80 dollars worth of spare parts and i think the shipping was 15 dollars. i try not to order 1 part at a time if i can help it this way i can save on shipping

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.