Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky honey bee CP

Old 04-28-2005, 06:28 AM
jlb0305

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Esky honey bee CP

I think it really depends what you order from them... i ordered a bunch of parts and shipping was like 13-16... then i ordered one thing and it was like 7... actually I've started buying from a place in the US cause they're not that far so I pretty much have it next day or 2 days later... balsapr.com. Their prices are pretty good, also heli-hobby.com i believe it is... they have a price match thing... supposedly they'll charge you 10% less than the price at another store if you give them the link and they have a $2.50 S&H charge for anything that fits in a 4"x4"x4" box. They didn't charge me 10% less but they did price match and charge me 2.50 for S&H.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:19 AM
casipak
My Feedback: (3)

I heard that you need a high end tx to work with reflex xtr. Is it the same with real flight g3?
What tx would you guys suggest?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:55 AM
jlb0305

doesn't G3 come with a TX... i know my copy of G2 did.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:22 AM
rbiasi

Yeah, G2 and G3 come with a USB TX. That's why I got G2, I figured that way I have something that I know will work with the SIM (unlike the freakin Esky TX). Also, unless you NEED the ultra pretty graphics, you can pick up used copies of G2 pretty cheap on ebay. I also grabbed the Add-ons #4, which has a Koyosho electric heli. Once you have that you can go to this page, http://www.rcheliace.com/helis.html, and grab the Hummingbird, Hummingbird CP, Hornet II, and Hornet CP-X. And then you've got a SIM with micro electrics! I even made a copy of the Hummingbird CP, changed all of the parameters to match the Honeybee 2, and now I have a HB2 SIM!

A SIM might seem expensive, but it's the best investment you can make. In the long run it's a lot cheaper than repair parts. Also, it gives you something to do while you're waiting for parts!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:59 PM
casipak

My friend can give me his reflex for free and I was thinking of getting the hitec optic 6 channel radio with usb sim cord included for around $120. This way, I can trip the controls of the heli to be near perfect. I am past the stage of braking parts except the balsa blades which will also be over when I get my carbon fiber blades, hopefully in around 3 weeks.
I don't think I ever got a reply for this question. Is the stock motor of the hb2 a 350? I saw a replacement motor for the cp2 and it was 370 so I was thinking of getting that to make my hb2 more powerful.

Also, which blades do you guys think are better?(for normal flight and 3d) first, the 16th pair down Modelsport CF Collective Pitch Blades for $37.50

then, the 22nd pair down MAH CF Fully Symmetrical Blades for the Hornet for $55.

http://www.helihobby.com/html/main_rotor_blades.html
Old 04-29-2005, 06:43 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

honey bee 2 uses a mabuchi 370
Old 04-29-2005, 07:02 PM
casipak

So what's a good upgrade motor for the hb2?

Wow, the futaba 6 channel radios are even cheaper than the hitecs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...971627553&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...971632550&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...971989052&rd=1

Just a question since I don't know much about radios. If I get a radio what do I do to make it work with my heli? Just put the right crystals in the heli and radio?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:37 PM
paedbo

well im not sure about an upgrade motor thats brushed, a 400 probably wont fit because the servo arm is too close as it is.

as for brushless i guess a popular motor ( which i will soon own) is the himax 2015-4100
Old 04-29-2005, 07:44 PM
casipak

Ok. Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. I just edited my earlier post so if you know anything about the radios, please help.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:09 PM
paedbo

i believe a futaba or hitec radio will work directly with the existing honey bee 2 helicopter, you just need the correct crystal for the transmitter.

From what i hear most people suggest if your going to continue to grow in the hobby, to get the best radio you can, first suggestion is a futaba 9 channel radio, and if your budget orientated then a futaba 7 channel, the farthest i will ever go in this hobby is with a trex i will never come close to needing all the bells and whistles on a radio so i went and bought a hitec optic 6 spectra model ,which i can just dial in the honey bee's frequency when i want to fly it or dial in the trex's when i finally get that. I had no idea how to program this transmitter for the honey bee 2 but i just went by common sense, i unplugged both motors, and checked how the servos reacted to the hitec after i set it to 120 degree swash plate, i noticed one of the servos was going in reverse so i changed that, now all the servos were moving correctly and i started messing with end points dual rates expos and pitch /throttle curves until i got it flying really nice.

it can be a bit confusing at first to set up the transmitter to the heli, i was like oh man this thing flys terrible with this radio compared to the stock honey bee 2 radio, but then i started to dial things in with trial and error and could not believe how much better it flys with the optic6 over the honey bee "special" i like having the pitch and throttle seperate adjustments, when the battery starts to get low i can kick up the throttle to make up for a draining battery to keep my headspeed where i want it.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM
casipak

This sounds good. Can I just get the crystal from the stock radio and stick it in the new radio?
These radios should work with the reflex?

I really like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...971627553&rd=1

It says it's a computer radio. You can program it on your computer too?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 PM
rbiasi

casipak,
Just make sure you get a heli radio that does CCPM mixing and has pitch and throttle curves and you should be Ok. I've got the Futaba 7CHP. It's great. I looked at those links. The 6 channel sounds a bit scary since they are selling it without a crystal. TXs are tuned to a frequency. If you want to change to a different freq you need to take it to a service center and get it tuned to the new freq. Runs about $50. I guess you could ask the seller what freq it was on. I'm not familiar with the 8U. I think that's what Tuscon01 said he has earlier on this thread). So maybe you could ask him about it.

Once you get your TX you'll need to get a crystal for your HB2 on the same freq (or channel) as your TX. You'll need a single conversion negative shift crystal. I got a Berg from helihobby that works peachey in my HB2. Then like paedbo said you'll need to program your TX. It took me a couple evenings to set up my TX to work with the HB2. Then a couple more days to get it dialed in. It's frustrating the first time you do it, but you'll learn a lot.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:42 PM
pwterry

as for brushless i guess a popular motor ( which i will soon own) is the himax 2015-4100
The 4100 (4100Kv) is Way to fast for the HB2!!!. Someone tried the 3700 (I think), and it was to fast. You would need something in the 2200 to 2700Kv range.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:43 PM
casipak

The radio in that link does revo mixing whatever that means and it is pcm/ppm. It says it comes with a crystal. It's 72 Mhz frequency so it should work with my heli. Could you clarify a bit more about the crystals I need and can use?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:59 PM
casipak

found this other radio with the sim cable. What do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

One more!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...971358169&rd=1
crystals are channel 37. I read the manual on another website and it said it was ccpm.
Out of the futaba 7ch I asked earlier about and this jr, which one is better?

It will be freaking hard to decide which radio to get.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:52 PM
rbiasi

casipak,
JR makes great radios, but they won't work with the HB2. You need to stick with Hitec or Futaba. Unless you want to go separates. For the crystal, here's a link to the one I got, http://www.helihobby.com/html/rx_and_crystals.html. Scroll down a bit to the Berg Single Conversion. That's what I have in one of my HB2s. It works. Pop out the crystal in your RX. Pop in one of these on the same channel as your TX and you should be good to go.

Computer radio just means its programmable. As opposed to something like the stock Esky TX which isn't.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:31 AM
casipak

I found it. What's the difference between single and dual?

Do the radios they sell on ebay already come with the throttle stick thing where it stays in the place where you leave it?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:57 AM
rbiasi

What's the difference between single and dual?
Don't know. I just know that the single conversion works. Someone else tried dual and it didn't.

With the Futaba 7 and 9 series TXs, the CHP is the heli version, the throttle is smooth. The CAP is the airplane version, the throttle has the clicks. I'd go with the smooth. Otherwise the spot you need for hover is always between two clicks.

Both will do planes or helis, but the different models default to the type of aircraft (ie. default at power on for CHP is heli). The only other difference that I know of is switch layout (ie. CHP has typical heli switch layout). Which is important if you ever hand your TX to another heli pilot.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:49 AM
casipak

So, what exactly will improve with a new tx?
If possible take a look at my earlier post about the cf blades and tell me what you think.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:53 AM
paedbo

casipak, as far as the frequencys go, with the single or dual conversion thats only refering to the crystal in the receiver and the receiver itself since your honey bee already has a receiver and a crystal the only thing you have to worry about is the positive/negative shift,

and your honey bee is a negative shift, so a futaba/hitec radio that has the same frequency number on the crystal will work fine they are negative shifts, however a JR radio i believe is positive shift so it would not work with the honey bee and you have to change the receiver to a positive shift to get it to work with that radio.

and as far as what improves with a new programmable radio, well

You know how people burn out tail motors with the stock setup? you will have full control of pitch and throttle curves, so you can raise the head speed with less pitch to save the tail motor from working harder.

higher head speeds will give you better stability,

you will have full control of the swash plate, dual rates and expos, i love the expo, it allows the swash plate to only move alittle when you move the stick alittle, and the farther you move the stick the faster the plate will move so by the time you go to the end of the travel the swash has also met the end of its travel, this allow for low response from the swash while your hovering making it easier to control, but also gives you full travel when you move the sticks alot for aerobatic flight.

unfortunately this means you can set up the radio and the heli could be worse than it was with the stock radio which is what happened to me until i understood i had to tweak the settings better, at one point if i banked the heli left or right with the new transmitter it would bank but it would also drop like a rock and i knew what was causing it, when the swash tilted left or right it was changing height causing the pitch to decrease on the main blades, but i couldnt figure out what iwas doingwrong in the setup until i realized one of my end points on my servos was not set right theres 2 end points for every servo and i set up 2 of them right but one of them i only set up the end point in one direction. After fixing that i just slowly started to change the pitch curve, i left the throttle curves alone, until i found where it performed the best. I want to get a hold of a pitch gauge and an rpm meter so i can see where its set and what head speed i have now, then i can go from there. Right now its only set up for normal mode so having a pitch guage and rpm meter it will help me setup for idle up modes.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:34 PM
casipak

Thanks for the info.
Will the futaba work with reflex?

I think I found the 2 radios I'll pick from:
the futaba 6exas
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...78191&tc=photo

and the futaba 7CHP PCM/PPM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...09073&tc=photo
Old 04-30-2005, 05:16 PM
rbiasi

It doesn't look like the 6ex is a heli TX.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:23 PM
casipak

I looked on the box and it said it was. The 6 exa isn't but I think the exas is.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:21 PM
casipak

You were right. The seller sent me an e-mail saying it wasn't heli compatible.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:37 PM
rbiasi

Always wise to check.

By the way, how did it go with the main gear? Were you able to get it off without droping the shaft?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.