Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky honey bee CP

Old 04-30-2005, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Esky honey bee CP

I haven't received it yet. But I'll see what happens. I'll just get all the upgrades I want, and maybe the radio on my B-day. I don't know if I'll try to tear it off just incase so I won't break anything else. I can fly, it's just the old main gear makes a noise.

I'll try to get a better main motor
better tail motor
new tail fin for the tail motor
new battery and charger
carbon fiber main blades
main gear
and hopefully the radio

I think I'm gonna go with the futaba 7chp.

I was wondering, if I get a brushless motor and maybe the dd tail motor from heli-fever(today outside, the tail motor didn't work too well. In the wind the tail kept going right and left so I want to solve that problem) the flight time will reduce significantly, right? And the battery life will shorten since a lot more current is being drawn from from the battery. If I get those motors, should I just get a more powerful battery, 1500 Mah instead of the 1200?

I don't know where I was but I just noticed you have the futaba 7chp as well. How much was yours?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:35 PM

I paid too damn much! Servo City, Bruckner's, Modefo's, Dee Tee all have it (TX only) for $169, but I wanted channel 53 and nobody had it in stock. So I ended up getting it from some loser on ebay. I think my winning bid was $175, but the guy charged $12 for shipping and then only took payment by BidPay who charged another $10 service fee! So it ended up being about $198. And of course Bruckner's emailed me a few minutes after I won the auction to let me know they got a chan 53 7CHP in stock. And to make things worse, it took over a week for BidPay to get him the money (they suck, make sure the seller takes paypal). But he did ship the thing quickly once he got paid. It was new, perfect, and I love it. You live and you learn...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:38 AM

Wow, that IS a lot. I saw completed listings on ebay and the final price with shipping would be around $140-150 bucks.

Can anyone reccomend me some cf blades or tell me what you think about the ones I found earlier
Old 05-01-2005, 07:55 AM

Guys, I just found a hitec eclipse 7. It's for heli use and has all the curves.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=90857

do these high end txs come in mode 2 only? because in all the auctions I've seen it doesn't state which mode it is.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:54 AM

If the seller is in the US it's probably mode 2. But make sure and ask. Otherwise you may be sorry.

$140 to $150, that's pretty good. When I was watching the 7CHP auctions it looked like everyone had their high bid set around $170. So it wasn't much of a bargain. The Eclispe 7 is a good radio. One of my buddies has one.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 AM

what is spectra?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Ok I have read alot and now more confused on what main blades to get for my HB 2 than when I opened the box. Some say stock, some say 0 pitch but wont fly good inverted, some say 5 deg. Dang I just need a link to get some blades that people are having good luck with. Got my heli yesterday read, read, read, and read some more over the last 2 weeks. Learned what to do before I even got the heli. I open her up took it apart and fixed the usual stuff like bent main shaft and what not. Took me only about 2 hours of tweeking and I was hovering around the garage. Im not sure why everbody says that flying a heli is hard I didnt even use the sim. Reaction time is key to not crashing even though I did take out the main blades twice, second time unrepairable. So if you guys could help me out on where to get some blades I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced Chris
Old 05-01-2005, 03:22 PM

Go to www.heli-fever.com and get their PE white blades for around $ 4 bucks good for regular flying. Many people say that the heli is easier to control with those blades or just get the old stock hb2 blades for $20 bucks good for all flying.
What I did was I made a template of my stock blade and made my own pair.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: cjz89civic

Ok I have read alot and now more confused on what main blades to get for my HB 2 than when I opened the box. Some say stock, some say 0 pitch but wont fly good inverted, some say 5 deg. Dang I just need a link to get some blades that people are having good luck with. Got my heli yesterday read, read, read, and read some more over the last 2 weeks. Learned what to do before I even got the heli. I open her up took it apart and fixed the usual stuff like bent main shaft and what not. Took me only about 2 hours of tweeking and I was hovering around the garage. Im not sure why everbody says that flying a heli is hard I didnt even use the sim. Reaction time is key to not crashing even though I did take out the main blades twice, second time unrepairable. So if you guys could help me out on where to get some blades I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced Chris

I've been hovering with a pair of FP blades from the kyosho Caliber M24. They are very durable plastic that take a real beating. I got them from Tower Hobbies for 9.99 a pair. I have had several blade strikes on the floor, furniture, the walls and everything in between and zero damage. I had to modify the root to fit in the blade holder with the plastic root peices from the original blades and re-track. I even had a hit so hard that the blade turned up side down and I had ti snap it back in place and still no damage. I keep the blades tight enough to stay in place yet loose enough to move when striking something. By using these blades I still have the original blades with out a scratch for when I get good enough to do some real flying. Please keep in mind that these blades are FP so do not try to fly inverted...lol.

I am amazed on how well built this heli is or at least I have been lucky not to have any damage yet.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:17 PM
My Feedback: (2)

and i thought i was the only one to flip a blade completely over, and ive done it several times, and yet the ball links never break! go figure.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:22 AM

and i thought i was the only one to flip a blade completely over, and ive done it several times, and yet the ball links never break!
Trust me. They will! It's amazing how tough the ball links are, but eventually either the balls on the rotor head or blade grips rip off. Don't ask me how I know.

Anymore I keep spares for both in the parts box.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:15 AM

Yep, I did that too a couple of days ago without damage!
I found a pretty sweet hitec eclipse 7 radio and I wanted to know if I need the receiver for it or just the crystals. The seller says a channel 56 module is included.

humveecrusher,
I was thinking of getting some cf blades from helihobby.
http://www.helihobby.com/html/hornet_composites.html
The 2nd pair down for $37.50 or the 4th pair down for $55?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: casipak

Yep, I did that too a couple of days ago without damage!
I found a pretty sweet hitec eclipse 7 radio and I wanted to know if I need the receiver for it or just the crystals. The seller says a channel 56 module is included.

humveecrusher,
I was thinking of getting some cf blades from helihobby.
http://www.helihobby.com/html/hornet_composites.html
The 2nd pair down for $37.50 or the 4th pair down for $55?

Sorry casipak, you are asking the wrong guy here...lol. I'm the rookie of rookies compaired to you guys. All I wanted to do was to get started without tearing up the CP blades and have to wait for another pair. I had these Kyosho blades that I bought a while ago for my Skylark. They didn't have enough lift for it but with the cp head they work quite well for now and they take a beating. If I was good enough I would try the more expensive cf blades. I'll bet they would do some damage with those sharp edges and if they broke...well..big bucks!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:27 AM

Casipak,

Radios (FM PPM transmitters) basically come in two flavors, negative shift and positive shift. The Futaba and HiTec are both negative shift so a Futaba will talk to a Hitec receiver, and vice-versa. (The JR Radios are positive shift so are incompatible with Futaba and Hitec receivers).

The good news is that the HoneyBee receivers are negative shift so if you have a Futaba or HiTec transmitter, it will work with the HoneyBee receiver (at least mine does).

In additon, I took the ch-53 Esky crystal out of the transmitter that came with the heli, and put it in my Futaba 6XAS and it works fine. I also have a HiTec Laser-4 transmitter, but didn't try the Esky Tx crystal in the HiTec.

As a previous poster said, it's probably good practice in the strict sense to retune the transmitter after changing frequencies since the output power may be slightly reduced if the output stage isn't "peaked" for the new frequency. However, you probably wouldn't notice the difference if you didn't retune unless you were at extended range. I doubt that will happen with a micro-heli, but I wouldn't try it with my 1/4 scale which is likely to be a considerable distance further during operation.

The most difficult part for me so far is finding a crystal that is compatible with the Esky receiver. If anybody out there has had any luck, I'd appreciate knowing which one(s) work.

I was unable to order my heli with a ch-39 crystal, which is where all my models are, so was hoping to just get a compatible crystal later so I could use my Futaba Tx, but no luck so far.

Also, for your after-dinner conversation, the HiTec Feather crystal won't work in the Esky receiver. I didn't try the one from my GWS micro receiver, as it is a "sub-micro" size crystal. (There was no point in trying the crystals from my larger Futaba and HiTec receivers since they are dual-conversion, and the Esky is a single conversion.)

Good Luck,

Rick
Old 05-02-2005, 09:18 AM

kermit,
The Berg Single conversion crystals work in the Esky RX. At least it did for me on channel 53. I'm running it in one of my HB2s. I got one from helihobby. I posted the link a bit earlier on this thread.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 AM

rbiasi,

Thanks a bunch ... I'm on it!!

I just got some stuff from them last week and was gonna order another main gear/shaft, main rotor blades, and tail rotor from them pretty soon, so will be getting them to stick in a channel-39 Berg crystal. (I'm pretty rough on this thing.)

I know one thing ... changing this HoneyBee from the stock NiMH (88 gram) battery pack to the LiPoly (49 gram) 2-cell pack was the best move I've made so far. Now I find myself breaking something long before the battery has a chance to run down, plus the reduction in battery weight seems to not destroy things as badly when I do panic and "drop it in". It just needs a little more head speed now (hard to do with FP), since it lifts off at lower rpm, and isn't spinning fast enough to stabilize adequately (gyroscopic wobble?). I think a CP is in my future.

Thanks again.

Rick
Old 05-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Wait, futaba 6xas works with helis because I was told that it wasn't. Just incase if I don't get the hitec eclipse 7.
About batteries, what's the best battery for the hb2 in terms of mah, good head speed, longer flight times, enough juice for better motors,etc.?

If I get the eclipse 7, I'll try putting the crystal from the esky tx into the hitec and see what happens.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:12 AM

casipak,

Not sure what you meant by your first sentence --> ("Wait, futaba 6xas works with helis because I was told that it wasn't.")

The 6xas will work with heli's. It has several ccpm mixes within its Heli mode, but the pitch curve only has three points (low, middle, and high) instead of the five or more for a true heli radio. (low, 2, 3, 4, and high). Not sure how much of a detriment this is since I haven't had a chance to play with a CP yet.

I can't speak from experience about the HB2 since I have the HB FP. I do know that on mine, losing the 1.5 ounces of battery weight by going from the 7-cell 700 mah NiMH to the 2-cell 1200 mah LiPoly made a big difference. By comparison it now "jumps" off the ground if you let it. Problem is now that it's lighter, it runs at a lower head speed, so it's not as stable. I'm tempted to trim the blades a little to get the head speed back up.

As for batteries, from what I've read so far, the 3-cell 11.1 volt LiPoly seems to be a favorite for the CP, but is somewhat hard on the tail motor (brushes), so you might want to have a spare motor or two on hand. I'm thinking that since one of the advantages of a CP over an FP is the higher, nearly constant head speed (stability) which I'm sure results in higher power consumption, so the extra oomph of the 11.1 volt 3-cell battery would be an advantage.

Rick
Old 05-02-2005, 11:18 AM

casipak,
If you get the Eclipse 7 I'd spend the couple of extra dollars and get it with the spectra module. You just dial it to the channel number that you want. No messing around with crystals. Very cool feature.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:39 PM

kermitdafrog,
I have the 11.1v 3 cell but I want to get a better tail motor so it will handle better outside and the new motor will take more current away from the battery. If I add a more powerful main motor to that, even more current will be drawn from the battery and flight times will be short so I wanted to know what battery to get if I ever got the new motors. I think a 1500 Mah will work pretty good, some people use 1800 but I'm afraid of frying up the 4-in-1 board.

rbiasi,
that sounds sweet. Someone else asked the seller if it has the spectra module, but he has yet to reply. Do you think putting the crystal from the stock radio into the new radio will work? Can you install a spectra module in a radio or does it come preinstalled from the factory?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:50 PM

the mah of the battery wont harm anything that just means how much energy the battery can hold (basic terms) but the power level ( volts) is still 11.1, the higher the mah the more current the battery can supply for bigger motors.

however with my honey bee 2, i have come to find that stock, you do not want to run it with more than a 1200mah 3s lipo battery i had a 1500 mah battery and it was too heavy it was burning out the tail motor left and right. I guess you have a few options to try to fix this with a heavier battery, 1. Use a lighter battery like a 1000mah or 1200mah, 2. manually adjust the pitch control links on the heli to get higher head speeds this will help the tail motor from working so hard. 3. upgrade the transmitter to one where you have full control of pitch and throttle curves so you can increase the headspeed.

the way mine was set up stock was terrible there was so much pitch and very low head speed, the helis tail constantly looked like it was bobbing up and down when in a hover ( like the heli was trying to balance on a seesaw).

Old 05-02-2005, 05:00 PM

How do you know how much pitch you have decreased and your head speed has increased?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:12 PM

i guessed by feel and sound but im going to buy a pitch gauge and rpm meter in the near future especially since im planning to get a trex let me see if i can find two of my videos, one video of when i first got my heli and then one video of it recently, you will be able to tell the difference in head speed by just listening to it. Ill post back later when i find them.

edit

ok the first link is to the honey bee 2 bone stock i did nothing to it but use a 1500mah lipo battery cuz the original one i got was defective, the second clip well its no wher enear stock, its all seperates, with a brushless tail motor however it still has the mabuchi 370 main motor, and im using a hitec optic 6 radio.

stock easy hb2 http://www.magnut.net/firstfly.wmv

higher head speed http://www.magnut.net/headspeed.wmv

you can tell what a big difference in head speed and you can hear the tail motor in the first one working very hard. And it has longer main blades in the second vid, they are the 0 pitch blades from helifever ( these blades can sure take some damage let me tell you ) but they are not syymetrical.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:34 PM

Yeah, I can really hear the difference between the two head speeds. I was thinking of getting the dd tail motor from heli-fever. Where did you get the 1500 Mah battery?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 PM

The eclipse 7 I was talking earlier...other people are getting interested in the radio so can you guys tell me(since I don't know much about radios),is eveything included in there for me to be able to fly?

Just got message from him saying that battery is included and radio is mode 2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.