Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky honey bee CP

Old 03-29-2005, 10:01 PM
pwterry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Esky honey bee CP

what's the diameter of the main motor on the HB in mm?
Looks to be 24mm (15/16 in).

And you won't go much bigger. The front servo's arm barely clears the motor can. This rules out the speed 400, and I think it rules out the 380.

If you're considering brushless, it's been done by "pulling" the throttle signal out of the 4-in-1. But, the person that was brave enough to try it had problems with flight times. Here's the thread: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2615466/anchors_2615466/mpage_1/key_brushless%252Cesky/anchor/tm.htm#2615466]Esky Brushless How To[/link]

batfalcon,
My HB2 doesn't cut off at 9 volts, the li-poly's I have will not lift the heli at 9 volts. I did drain one battery pack to below 9 volts by "dancing" the heli around on the floor. The battery survived, but I won't do it again.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:05 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

batfalcon,

With the timing advanced properly on my 370 motor i could easily keep the honey bee in the air when it reached 9 volts ( of course you could feel it was losing power) anyways thats why i bought the warning led that i mounted on the 4in 1 box. So i would know exactly when to stop flying it.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:06 AM
batfalcon

To all,

Well since the financial department gave the "green light", I went to the store and brought home a "Twister CP" yesterday evening. After the charging was complete I gave it a try in my living room. It was the 2nd attempt. The first was in the hobby shop where everything went smoothly.
Don't exactly know what the h... happend but both the main blades are good for the fire place []. I hadn't flew it for more than 1 minute. This machine is MORE sensitive BY FAR in stick movements than the FP. Today the hobby shop will get 30 more €. I am thinking to move the push rods of the servos 2 holes towards the servo. Not the pitch servo just the other 2. That's what I did on my FP to reduce my over-reacting.
Fact is from what I saw that the CP flies less smoothly than the FP. It responds to the corrections more rapidly than the FP, giving you a feeling of insecurity.
What do you think ?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:14 AM
pwterry

paedbo,
Did you retime the stock 370? How? I've been thinking about straightening the four crimps holding the brush plate and turning the plate a little to advance the timing. Is my thinking correct?

batfalcon,
If the Twister is just like the HB2, all three servos are used for both pitch (collective) and cyclic movements. For collective, all three servos pull the swashplate down. For left/right cyclic, the rear two tilt the swashplate. For foreward/backward cyclic, all three are used to tilt the swashplate. Lessening the movement of any one of the three will throw everything off.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:43 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

yes i uncrimped them just alittle bit, just enough so i could turn the endbell withalittle force it does not turn freely but its loose enough if you give it a tug it will move, and i used an amp meter to set up the timing , except i went just a hair higher on current draw to make sure it had some more gusto.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 AM
loserbaby

Here's my no-yo yo fix for the HB2, if your heli is still new you may not have experienced this problem yet... It started out as a carbon fiber project but while I was waiting for some epoxy to set up I tried aluminum. I have only hand tools, it's tough working with such small parts when your cnc machine is a hand file. I saw something similar posted at rcgroups, and it's designed a bit after the MS hornet. It looks pretty overkill, but I've had the chance to test it a bit and so far it's working great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21961.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	251836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41072.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	251837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72619.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	251838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60684.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	251839  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:00 AM
wayne8louw

Hi guys, im totaly new to rc helis. I think the help you guys give to the beginners is really cool[8D] There is just one favour I would like to ask.....Could anyone pls email some clips and photos of your birds in action. It would be greatly appreciated.

PS: It does'nt have to be the best flight or accrobatics, it can be anything from take-off to 3d flight.[sm=wink.gif]

[email protected]
Old 03-31-2005, 01:09 PM
batfalcon

ORIGINAL: loserbaby

Here's my no-yo yo fix for the HB2, if your heli is still new you may not have experienced this problem yet... It started out as a carbon fiber project but while I was waiting for some epoxy to set up I tried aluminum.....

Not being a HB2 guru yet, what exactly is a yo yo movement that the heli does ?
Plus since I broke my first main blades on the "Twister CP" and a new pair costs 30 €, Ι tried to make a pair on my own. I did not pass the test, so I ask you guys:
1. Do you build your own blades, or you purchase a new pair each time you have to?
2. If you buy them from somewhere, where is that? Any suggestions?

Michael

Old 03-31-2005, 02:48 PM
bell1684

Yo-Yoing is an annoying & relatively uncontrollable up & down movement of the heli when hovering, anywhere from a few inches to a few feet at a time..some people have reported it happening with the HB2 and have tried many different things (greasing & sanding the pitch slider etc) with mixed results.

Do a search on RCgroups.com under Esky threads to see some examples of peoples fixes. There are also threads on how to make your own blades, if you are so interested.

I generally buy my spare parts fron deeteeenterprises.com, but I dont know if there is a better supplier for you since you arent in the US.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:36 PM
kermitdafrog

Darrell,

I noticed you said that it might be difficult to find a Lipo charger for less than $80, you might try this link:

[link=http://www.his-hershobbies.com/page/page/1027622.htm]http://www.his-hershobbies.com/page/page/1027622.htm[/link]

I ordered the Apache 1215 from them a couple of days ago for $24.95, but it's only good for 1-2 two cells and 80 ma to 1200 ma.

I'll order the Apache 2500 for $49.95 which will handle 1-4 cells with selectable rates from 250 ma to 2500 ma when I get a CP heli and change over to the 11.1 volt lipos,

From what I've read about these chargers, they have a pretty high customer satisfaction rate.

Rick
Old 03-31-2005, 04:59 PM
casipak
My Feedback: (3)

wayne8louw,
go here: http://www.helihobby.com/html/rc_hel...rs_videos.html

It has regular videos, 3d flight, full size helis and more cool videos.
When I had my jabo, I used regular plastic blades and I crashed quite a bit. They never even cracked. You might wanna try them out.

loserbaby,
interesting little project. How long did it take you to do that? How did you mount it on there, just put it right on?
Can you post pics of your main and tail motor heatsinks?

Should receive my HB tomorrow!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:04 AM
ozandy

Batfalcon: You can usually repair blades quite a bit before trashing them. Usually a squeze of CA and some packing tape does the trick. The secret is to re-balance accurately after fixing. It is amazing how much repair a heli will take and still fly! Beats being grounded and waiting on delivery.
Based on my Twister experience, Loserbaby's mod will be mandatory sooner or later. The "no yo-yo" honeymoon won't last forever...
Old 04-01-2005, 05:31 AM
batfalcon

I usually do, but this was my first min of flight with my new CP. The blades just touched the very same spot where my previous FP had crashed 1000 times, (with no blade damage at all), and one of them broke in more than 10 little pieces. All the damage was at the outer 1/3 in length and at the trailing edge side !!! I was so disapointed that it took me 1 day to lay my hands on the machine. Next day I tried to hover it at the same spot where I had the crash, my stomach was tied [&o](if I use the correct expresion) and my heart's pulses were near 150[:@]. Didn't have the control I usually have with my FP but I managed to keep it in the air for a minute or two. Have to say here, that the free space in my living room is 1.5*2 m. Furniture all around[].

So for the moment I plan to keep practicing with the FP and in parallel trying to find cheap blades for the CP.

Michael
Old 04-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Norrmannen

€30 for Twister blades is a complete rip-off. I buy T-rex blades for $ 10-12,-

Have you checked ebay?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:29 AM
batfalcon

Just found on ebay a "Buy Now" item. He offers 3 sets of main blades for 19,95 USD (I think) + 4 USD for P&H to Athens Greece. They are semi symetrical and I am not sure if they fit on the CP head, though the seller claims that they do. Since PE stands for "Polyethylenium" I am not sure if they are as durable as cheap

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON EBAY ARE ALWAYS WELCOME

Michael
Old 04-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Norrmannen

That was cheap.

Have bought some stuff from this guy:
http://stores.ebay.com/R-CMODELFUN_H...QQftidZ1QQtZkm

and this one:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ25Q...sassZ911heroes
Old 04-01-2005, 02:18 PM
honeybee2

The Honey Bee 2's are now available on eBay for $139 + shipping, best deal I've seen yet, here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Check them out.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:49 PM
casipak

Got my HB today! Everything is in great condition and I'm very eager to fly it. The instructions aren't of much help and since I've never flown cp, I have some dumb questions. When I plugged in the battery and the computer adjusted the servos, I flipped the 3d switch towards me and the blades started spinning like crazy. From past experience I was lucky to be holding the heli down when this happened. Are the baldes suppost to spin like that?

Not much infor on charging either. The charger has one led that is green when I plug it in. I measured my lipo to have 11.24 volts and when I tried to fly, the heli went up when the throttle was almost all the way up. I put the battery to charge and once I plugged in the battery in the charger, the led turned red.
I'm guessing that when the battery is fully charged the led turns green? The instructions also said that once the battery is charged, it's slightly warm but I'm not sure if it works that way for lipos.

Can someone explain to me the basics of 3d flight or show me a good website?
Am I guessing right about the charging?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:09 PM
bell1684

Great to hear you got your HB2 finally bro!

You shouldnt be flipping the 3d switch unless you are already in the air and are ready to do some inverted flight because the throttle curve is in a U shape..yes it is normal for the blades to spin like that. If you've never flown a CP before then dont mess with the 3d switch until you're comfortable with normal hovering.

Make sure when you're ready to fly that you give it a little throttle then set the throttle trim to at least half-way to all the way up..that should give you enough blade pitch where you should be hovering between 1/2 & 3/4 throttle.

My cheesy ESKY charger fried as soon as i tried using it so I cant remember about the lights, but Lipos shouldnt get warm at all during charging, so be sure to monitor the battery carefully while it is charging..make sure it isnt charging near anything flammable either in case the worst happens. If it's getting warm or begins to ballon up in size then its a bad battery and you shoudnt use it & get it out of your house asap!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:20 PM
casipak

Thanks for the help with the 3d. I won' mess with it for now. I'll see what I can do with the throttle.

I thought the exact same thing about lipos getting hot so I be very careful with it. The first time I plugged my charger in, it worked fine so I'll see what happens on the second time.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:06 PM
casipak

fixed my throttle problem. When the trim is all the way up, the blades spin by themselves without me using the throttle so I'll keep the trim around 3/4.
The charger IS bad. It charges but after five minutes, it starts getting hot. I had the exact same thing on my jabo charger and what I did to solve that problem was I put the charger on top of my ac vent at home and it stayed cool. That was in the summer so for now, I'll build a little fan system to cool it down and then get a new charger.

I can't fly too much for now since I don't have the heatsinks but if they arrive tomorrow, I'll start having some real fun.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:22 PM
bell1684

The trims will cause the blades to spin by themselves..sometimes I forget to return the trim to the zero position when i put the throttle to zero and i wonder why the blades are still spinning[X(]

Be careful if that charger is bad..its not like messing with a Nicd or other type of battery

Dont worry too much about not having the heatsinks..I havent gotten mine yet and i have been flying both my HB2's for a couple of months without any burnouts (knock on wood)..just try to keep the flight times below 10 mintes before taking a break.. but i do plan on picking a few up in the not too distant future.

I generally fly with my throttle trim at about 1/2..did you notice your bird lifting off with less throttle when you increased the trim? How many Mah is your battery?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:43 PM
casipak

I forgot to return the trim to zero too and on my next flight, the light blinking was red and the blades woundn't spin, once I set the trim to a lower position, everything went back to normal.
I did notice a big change in lifting once I set the trim higher. It starts lifting off at about half throttle.
My battery is 1200 Mah.
The heli handles great. I did some hovering in my living room and had no problems with it (knock on wood). I am getting used to the controls very quickly but I might have to tweak the tail motor proportion to the main motor proportion but I'm not sure yet.

So far, this bird is the best I've flown.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:09 PM
casipak

I forgot to return the trim to zero too and on my next flight, the light blinking was red and the blades woundn't spin, once I set the trim to a lower position, everything went back to normal.
I did notice a big change in lifting once I set the trim higher. It starts lifting off at about half throttle.
My battery is 1200 Mah.
The heli handles great. I did some hovering in my living room and had no problems with it (knock on wood). I am getting used to the controls very quickly but I might have to tweak the tail motor proportion to the main motor proportion but I'm not sure yet.

So far, this bird is the best I've flown.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:00 PM
bell1684

The heli has a safety feature built in so it wont begin rotating the blades unless the throttle & trims are set to zero.

Sounds like you've got it trimmed right if its hovering at 1/2 stick.

The 1200mah battery is plenty..my first HB2 (which i just crashed a few minutes ago[]..snapped the landing gear and threw the tail rotors off..now i cant find the little rubber retaining piece..no problem, thats why i bought 2) came with a 1200mah, although I dont use it anymore cause it was getting warm during charging. My other came with an 1800mah which i like better..seems to have bit more punch to it.

I still mess with the gyro and prop on mine..tweak & tweak some more so expect to have to keep playing with it..

Glad to hear you're lovin it! I knew you would be happy..sure was worth the wait, huh?

No outdoor flying this weekend for me..expecting 2-4 inches of rain here..UGH!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.