Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Telebee Gyro on the HBK2 ??

Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Telebee Gyro on the HBK2 ??

Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 PM
KCinNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telebee Gyro on the HBK2 ??

anyone using this Gyro on the HBK2? looking for some install & setup info.

using the stock TX setup for now

any info is appreciated

KC
Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Dilligaf Inc.

Default RE: Telebee Gyro on the HBK2 ??

The gyro needs to stand up with the sticker facing the tail not laying down like the stock gyro.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Druss

Actually, as long as it's standing up it doesn't matter what direction it's facing (although having it facing the tail may make adjusments to the gain easier). You can mount the gyro anywhere on the heli as long as it is up right.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Dilligaf Inc.

ORIGINAL: Druss

Actually, as long as it's standing up it doesn't matter what direction it's facing (although having it facing the tail may make adjusments to the gain easier). You can mount the gyro anywhere on the heli as long as it is up right.

See you learn new stuff every day thanks Druss!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Druss

Ya, while a technical explanation isn't necessary I will say that the way a gyro works is by detecting the spin of the heli, whether the gyro is facing front, back, left or right the spin it feels is the same (the only difference is if it's upside down, then the spin it feels is reversed, but that is why there is a reverse switch on it). The same is true regardless of what height it's at as the spin is on the same plane. I've seen gyros mounted on the side of the heli with the sticker facing out and works fine.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
USHobbySupply

Ya, while a technical explanation isn't necessary I will say that the way a gyro works is by detecting the spin of the heli, whether the gyro is facing front, back, left or right the spin it feels is the same (the only difference is if it's upside down, then the spin it feels is reversed, but that is why there is a reverse switch on it). The same is true regardless of what height it's at as the spin is on the same plane. I've seen gyros mounted on the side of the heli with the sticker facing out and works fine.

that being said, would it not make the most sense to locate the gyro directly under the main shaft? that way the gyro and shaft would share the same vertical axis?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Dilligaf Inc.

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

that being said, would it not make the most sense to locate the gyro directly under the main shaft? that way the gyro and shaft would share the same vertical axis?

That is a good point but I would think that would be a good place for it to get damaged in a crash, and also be hard to get to adjust the gain? Would it being that close to the other electronics tend to throw it off? Again just what I think, I could be way off!!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:01 PM
USHobbySupply

its worth a try. The beltcp im running now does not have a convenient place for that. but maybe with some rigging......
Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Dilligaf Inc.

US Hobby, your belt cp is brushless right? let me know how that works out!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 PM
KCinNC

thanks...do i connect both wires to the reciever....i think i read somewhere not to connect the orange wire to the reciever??
Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Dilligaf Inc.

The orange one is for HH. I dont own a belt cp so I have no idea witch Tx you have, but if you have a emty ch 6 on the rx thats where it goes and if you have a gyro switch on your tx that will controll the diferent modes ( rate, and HH ).
Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Dilligaf Inc.

Oops sorry you do have a hbk2 but still fallow the directions that should work.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Druss

the extra plug with the single yellow wire should go into ch5 on the receiver, ch6 should be the 3 wire plug from the gyro.

It's true that the gyro will see more rotation right near the rotors but I actually prefer putting the gyro where most ppl put the receiver, under the main gear. A lot of ppl have been coming up with aftermarket solutions to putting the gyro under the tail boom instead of on top of it, this protects it during a blade strike.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Dilligaf Inc.

Never really thought of that[sm=idea.gif] But that would have to be a really bad blade strike beacuse the gyru is almost under the head, stuck rite to the back of the survos. You really think a blade could hit there? On my 1st flight with my hbk2 the 1way bearing let go about mabie 10ft up and fell like a rock. She got busted up pretty bad I even bent the boom a little and the blades never even came close to the gyro. but I guess anything is possible! Murphy's law "Anything that can go wrong will."
Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 PM
KCinNC

thanks guys...!!! i think i kinda stole this Telebee from an ebay auction for $11.00.......$19.50 shipped !!!!

gonna give it a try tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 AM
bladecpnewbie

i have my telebee gyro mounted right under the main gear ALMOST directly underneath the main shaft and so far it seems to work better than when it was mounted behind the servos.

no matter where the gyro is mounted its always going to rotate the SAME amount because its always on the same axis-(main shaft) but reducing the side-to-side motion it gets from being further away from the axis-(main shaft) i find that it doesnt "confuse" the gyro as much and it seems to work better.....get it???
Old 10-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Druss

You're right, it would rotate the same amount and there would be less translational movement. I think the side to side motion would only affect the lower end gyros though, I can't see a gy611 getting confused over a little side to side motion, then again I don't have a gy611 on my hbk2 so point taken.

As to a blade strike on the gyro, what if you went into the ground at a high rate of speed inverted rotor head first? Think you could hit the gyro now?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Dilligaf Inc.

You're right, it would rotate the same amount and there would be less translational movement. I think the side to side motion would only affect the lower end gyros though, I can't see a gy611 getting confused over a little side to side motion, then again I don't have a gy611 on my hbk2 so point taken.

As to a blade strike on the gyro, what if you went into the ground at a high rate of speed inverted rotor head first? Think you could hit the gyro now?

Yes then you could hit the gyro, agreed. but if you did do that then I think you would have alot more to be concerned with lol. like buying a new heli
Old 10-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Druss

True but blades, main shaft... etc may only add up to $30-$50, the telebee gyro retail is $50 alone.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 PM
KCinNC

i went ahead and mounted it above the tailboom to begin with...didn't get a chance to crank it up today and try it