Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Another charger question

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Another charger question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 AM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another charger question

Any thoughts on thos one?

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5549
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Druss

Default RE: Another charger question

I think that RCU did a review of that particular balancing charger, can't remember what it said. maybe do a search on here.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 PM
{eVo}JUDAS

ive got one and I must say I'm really happy with it, very easy to use and seems to do a good job.

only time will tell.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 PM
CHARGERPC9

I know RC Groups did a review on the IMAX B6 Model "read it last night" and stated that the LCD reports incorrect voltages and doesnt balance Lipos perfectly as the LCD states after testing with an expensive multimeter. Apparently the issue is due to the cheap resistors used dont have low enough tolerances to monitor the voltage in the cells, Basically the conclusion was for the price these chargers are ok but your still not doing your lipos many favours. Im not 100% sure if this applies to the B5 but id have to assume it does.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746574]RCGROUPS READ BEFORE YOU BUY[/link]
Old 01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

I bought a Common Sence from the LHS.
Monitors each cell seperately, pretty nice its the one they use in the shop.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
gnd2

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

I bought a Common Sence from the LHS.
Monitors each cell seperately, pretty nice its the one they use in the shop.
I recently bought the same one. It's also sold under the names DN Power and Tenergy.

So far I like it. Not terribly fancy but I like being able to set the charge rate and see the voltage and current for each cell all displayed at the same time.

It's pretty cool that it charges each cell independently instead of just charging through the main connector then bleeding off the higher cells to balance them. In the end I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference either way but it's neat

I think a lot of people blow the error thing out of proportion. People complained that the common sense charger wasn't very accurate either.

I read that rcgroups review for the B6 and I think the worst error that guy saw was less than 2% if I'm not mistaken. That's much more than enough accuracy for most any consumer product. Most of the components in consumer products have a tolerance of 10 - 20% and the products are built to withstand that. I'll admit that you probably want lipo chargers to be more accurate than 10-20% (someone pointed out that the B6 uses 1%), but IMO these errors that some complain about aren't really so bad that you need to be concerned about it causing real problems.

I also think a lot of people misunderstand the importance of balancing. It's not so much that the pack has to be exactly balanced every time, it's that if you charge and discharge repeatedly without balancing, the cells will go further and further out of balance until eventually it's so far out it damages the pack. Some people only balance the pack every few chargers rather than every time and that's fine. If you balance the pack every time to within a couple percent, that's going to be more than fine.

Some people like things precise and that's fine. If they want to spend extra to have everything as exact as can be that's there choice. But just don't read too much into and think that it's a serious problem if something is a few percent off because it's perfectly normal in nearly all consumer electronics.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM
CHARGERPC9

Well said GND2, thats pretty much the gist of how I read it aswell, and when I upgrade to a T-REX I think ill be giving the B6 or B8 a go.

I think when you start concentrating on Tolerance differences between 1% and 0.1% its time to start questioning your enjoyment levels of the hobby. When I was younger and starting out in Model Aircraft I know it was all about the joy of it and getting that one last flight in, where now days I seem to spend more time worrying about and being very particular about maintaining everything rather than just flying and enjoying. Main difference is I never had an internet connection back then, so I never had anything to read/research about the hobby when I was bored to worry my flying experience!.