Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

hitec esky didigtal servo help!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

hitec esky didigtal servo help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:14 AM
helicrazedout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hitec esky didigtal servo help!!!

hi well yes i am still waiting for hitec 65hb servos which supposably come in next week. but today as i was waking up i just thought to myself i am so stupid!!!!!! ok before i get to that i have got a hitec 81hs servo on the tail and a dx7 transimtter. ok so i thought why get hitec 65hb servos on cyclic? why not just get 3 esky didital servos on the belt cp. reason being i am stil very much a begginer i do no 3d still a bit of fast flying and generally flying around the garden 4ch style. so do i really need hitec 65hb or rather get when im ready to do 3d which will be in a long long time and i probaly would of broke the hitecs by then. how much better is the hitec 65hb compared to a esky digital is their a huge diffrence in quailty and performace?? im open to all opionions and help what should i buy the hitec65 or esky dig oh and the price of the hitecs is so wxpensive 5 times more than the eskys. will esky didital servos work with my dx7 radio well? anyway plz help i am going away for a week so wont be on rcu so when i log on week week plz surprize me with awsoume help!! what should i get???? thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 AM
bad400

Default RE: hitec esky didigtal servo help!!!

most if not all hitec`s are realitvely slow and are way over hyped in my honest opinion, if their not metal geared they will still strip in a crash anyway.
even most JR and futaba cyclic servos are pretty slow, the hxt900`s are 4 duck`s apiece and have more torque and speed than the for mentioned servo`s
ino-labs at 20 bucks apiece have more torqe and speed, plus they are a true 4.8v digital servo.

if you want to pay for a name then hitec,JR, and futaba are the way to go, i have a futaba 9650 servo for the tail. but its one servo with a decent speed and torque. but is way to big for a cyclic servo.

matter of fact i was just last night looking at every servo brand ive mentioned, and hitec is the SLOWEST. then JR then futaba.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 AM
joshseigler

hs-65hb have 1.8kg.cm torge and the hxt900 have 1.6kg.cm torge and the hxt900 have plastic gears and they will strip almost everytime you crash so you will have to replace them everytime and the hs-65hb have carbon gears and they will NOT strip if you crash and buy some crazy chance you do strip them then you can buy new gears instead of having to buy the whole servo again and the gears are cheap to buy you can even buy metal if thats the way you want to go but i havent heard of anybody striping the gears yes it happens but not that offten
Old 03-28-2009, 09:10 AM
FLYGUY09

I would go with the E-Sky digital 0508s or the analog HXT 900s for cyclic. They're both fast servos (0.10 sec) and cheap as hell. Save the 65s for when you are a better pilot. I think you should put a good tail servo on no matter what that'll help you from day 1, but don't waste the $$ on the cyclic while guys like us are still learning how to fly!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 AM
noobflyer01

i have used the hs65mg's and hs65hb's exclusively for 9 months. when i crash with my hb's and the gears happened to strip i'd replace it the metal gears. best darn servos for the buck IMO. all my servos are still working flawlessly to this day. they are tough as nails. plenty of crashes on them too. over-hyped? no undervalued? YES. even if you dont fly 3d with them you'll see a big difference between them and esky's. i run mine at 6v for optiumal performance. put a gy401 with 9650 on tail and you pretty much got a 3d capable 450.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
bad400

well sense most of the guys i know locally that use hitec`s say they have replaced many of gears after a crash, and these guys have been flying collectively aleast 20 years, so i tend to listen to exsperience
and the speed on hitec`s are very slow. the fastest ive sense even in DIGITAL are .14 sec`s.
hxt900`s are .10 sec`s analog, and ive had 3 total whip outs with them and have replaced one set of gears on one servo.

not saying hitec isnt a good servo im saying they are really SLOW and are not worth the money for ME, see i like FAST servos

and the FASTEST futaba servo ive seen is the 9650, thats why i have it on the tail.

but im swapping out the hextronic`s from the cyclic for the ino-lab hg202hb`s, a TRUE 4.8v digital servo. 4.8v speed is .09 secs.

now like the guys here say if you like a LAZY heli then hitec`s, JR`s and FUTABA are your best freind, especially for a newbe with no skills.
but its all a personal taste.
its like have a timex that well never loose time and can be throwed away when the battery dies, or have a rolex that you always have to take in to have the spring adjusted and never keeps perfect time, just to show off with
Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 AM
noobflyer01

i dont think they're slow at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj3o_...e=channel_page
and they dont break after a crash.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
grawyl

I dont really see how anybody could tell the diff between .05 seconds over a 60 degree range. Half a second (.5) yes, but not even .05 seconds.

Precision is king here. I have used the over rated JR and the Esky digitals. There is a HUGE diff between the two. The JRs might not be as fast but they hold center a 1000 times better than the Eskys. The one issue I have found with them is with precision and the usage of plastic gears, they will strip in a crash. The esky's are (have been for me) less prone to strip in a crash because they dont ahve the torque or the precision and will give a little more in crash.

Right now I am waiting for replacement gears for my JR's (MG replacements) and so I have gone back to the Esky's in the mean time. After flying with the JR's and now back to the esky's, I wonder how I ever learned to fly...Oh and one other point, the JR's come with a 3 year warranty. It doesn't cover gear replacement in the event of a crash but if they ever fail for other reasons, you know your covered.

Long story short, good precise servo's will make any pilot a better pilot and learning is faster. If you go the Hitec, Futaba or JR route for the precision, make sure you go the MG route as well. It will cost more up front but I am sure you will be happier in the long run (i speak from experience).
Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 AM
HarleyDave

ORIGINAL: bad400

well sense most of the guys i know locally that use hitec`s say they have replaced many of gears after a crash, and these guys have been flying collectively aleast 20 years, so i tend to listen to exsperience
and the speed on hitec`s are very slow. the fastest ive sense even in DIGITAL are .14 sec`s.
hxt900`s are .10 sec`s analog, and ive had 3 total whip outs with them and have replaced one set of gears on one servo.

not saying hitec isnt a good servo im saying they are really SLOW and are not worth the money for ME, see i like FAST servos

and the FASTEST futaba servo ive seen is the 9650, thats why i have it on the tail.

but im swapping out the hextronic`s from the cyclic for the ino-lab hg202hb`s, a TRUE 4.8v digital servo. 4.8v speed is .09 secs.

now like the guys here say if you like a LAZY heli then hitec`s, JR`s and FUTABA are your best freind, especially for a newbe with no skills.
but its all a personal taste.
its like have a timex that well never loose time and can be throwed away when the battery dies, or have a rolex that you always have to take in to have the spring adjusted and never keeps perfect time, just to show off with

Dude... You really need to catch up on the times. The 9650 was long replaced with the faster Futaba 9257. The 9650 at 4.8v's is a slug speed of 0.14 sec. At 6.0 v's its a little better at 0.11 sec. The Futaba 9257 is .08 sec at 4.8 v's.

If Hitech servo's are so slow then why does the HS-5084/5083 have a speed of .05 sec at 6v's ? A great tail servo for the 450 by all means, along with the JR 3500's that pump out .07 seconds.

Some of the top pilots in the world only fly with Futaba, JR, and the Hitech's ! Find me one that uses an Esky servo, let alone anyone at any competition events. LMAO. Ask me how I know ? I know a few of them personally ! For a minute I thought you were joking when you quoted that if ya wanted a lazy heli to then purchase the JR's/Hitech/Futaba servo's. Its quite opposite my friend.

This will come to you more as you advance in the hobby and see the light at the end of the tunnel, so no worries.

Dave

Old 03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

i have used the hs65mg's and hs65hb's exclusively for 9 months. when i crash with my hb's and the gears happened to strip i'd replace it the metal gears. best darn servos for the buck IMO. all my servos are still working flawlessly to this day. they are tough as nails. plenty of crashes on them too. over-hyped? no undervalued? YES. even if you dont fly 3d with them you'll see a big difference between them and esky's. i run mine at 6v for optiumal performance. put a gy401 with 9650 on tail and you pretty much got a 3d capable 450.
+1...I have been using the HS65's now since the end of last summer. They are hands down worth using, even in the beginning. I slapped myself in the face for buying Esky and TowerPros over and over and over while learning. My favorite analogy for the gears in the cheap servos is that they shatter like they were made out of uncooked pasta...The HS65's have survived some really horrible crashes and I have never once stripped the Karbonite gears, or broke the servo motor. Those Esky and TPSG90's are worth nothing except landfill-fill. I had 8 cheap servos fry for no apparent reason in one month time....I will never go back to Esky or TP's....

The biggest bonus might not even be the durability but the fact that the servos really connect you to the heli with ZERO slop and nice centering. You will learn faster with a more stable heli. The Esky's will have slop after 20 flight. I have 100's of flight on my Hitec's and I have yet to see any slop in them...

You get what you pay for, with HS65's I think you get more that what you pay for. This has been my personal opinion and I can not speak for our beloved Dumb Dog that had trouble with his Hitec' s prematurely last week...I think he is still using his servos as crash tests dummies all day long? LOL

My 2 cents,

Z
Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

ORIGINAL: HarleyDave
Dude... You really need to catch up on the times. The 9650 was long replaced with the faster Futaba 9257. The 9650 at 4.8v's is a slug speed of 0.14 sec. At 6.0 v's its a little better at 0.11 sec. The Futaba 9257 is .08 sec at 4.8 v's.

If Hitech servo's are so slow then why does the HS-5084/5083 have a speed of .05 sec at 6v's ? A great tail servo for the 450 by all means, along with the JR 3500's that pump out .07 seconds.

Some of the top pilots in the world only fly with Futaba, JR, and the Hitech's ! Find me one that uses an Esky servo, let alone anyone at any competition events. LMAO. Ask me how I know ? I know a few of them personally ! For a minute I thought you were joking when you quoted that if ya wanted a lazy heli to then purchase the JR's/Hitech/Futaba servo's. Its quite opposite my friend.

This will come to you more as you advance in the hobby and see the light at the end of the tunnel, so no worries.

Dave

Most of us do not want to go through the extra steps to reduce the voltage to the tail down to 4.8v...You may be correct but I don't think that most of us here would be able to utilize any extra performance we would get from 9650 to a 9257, me included!

Z
Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 PM
phillyD

Ok guys
Just my experience. Esky digitals=crash when you pressure them. I've had then fail plenty in flight. plastic teeth not reliable; maybe especially if the heli is not stock weight. Do a search of belt CP thread(esky digital) for my experience.
Cheers
Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 PM
HarleyDave

Most of us do not want to go through the extra steps to reduce the voltage to the tail down to 4.8v...You may be correct but I don't think that most of us here would be able to utilize any extra performance we would get from 9650 to a 9257, me included!

Z
And to each his own. Extra steps however ? Plug in a VR that takes 3 seconds and your done ! If someone can't do a simple 1 step process for that, well then there in the wrong hobby. Do you take the extra steps to fix your heli in a crash then or just buy another ? Just doesn't make sense. And depending on your gyro you wouldn't need to take any steps to reduce the voltage to the servo if you are especially running 5v's on your system anyway which it seems you might be anyway considering you wouldn't benefit from any extra performance running 6v's then eh ? Not all gyro's run at 6v's ya know. But once you got better you could run the system at 6v's and then run the voltage regulator to keep the rear tail servo at 5.1 v's and still have a better servo like the 9257 that will grow with you since the speed is quicker.

You do realize that there is a good handful of pro-pilots with bigger birds running 8v's on the tail with Futaba servo's rated at only 4.8v's with no voltage regulators don't you ? And without issues, but at there own risk. Its all about the performance when you advance, so do it once and do it right the first time. Don't experiment with Esky servo's or these other el cheapo servo's, buy the best that you can afford and it will carry you far into the hobby without having to keep buying and upgrading and draining your wallet. So for a few bucks more or less why not go with a servo then like the 9257 rather than "stepping back" to the 9650 ? Everyone I know and fly with at competitions upgrades there stuff not degrading to a lower performance. Don't you want to move ahead in the hobby ?[&:]

Don't get me wrong, the 9650 is a great servo and was popular for quite awhile a few years ago, but most advanced pilots now retired from using it as better servo's started coming to the market.

This comment here was the reason I mentioned the 9257 because it seemed this gent wanted performance because he just stated he installed the fastest Futuba he's seen and that's why he wanted it on his tail. If he's looking for speed, the 9650 is more designed for torque than speed and so then the 9257 would have been a more popular choice. Torque is nice for the tail, but not near as important as speed is FYI.

Once you get better and more advanced you will see the big diffs on anything you can do to "utilize any extra performance" and most times will help keep the heli more stable and running at its best for even a beginner to learn on.

Hope this helps you understand better.

Dave
Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
helicrazedout

hi guys just got back from a weeks hoilday in durban! anyway thank for the help!! just 1 question still will esky digital servos work the same as the hitec 65hb servos with the dx7 so will the dx7 work with esky digitals?
Old 04-04-2009, 11:53 AM
noobflyer01

the dx7 WILL work with any servos.