Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

My new Belt CP

Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 AM
petey3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Belt CP

A few days ago a friend of mine gave me a new Belt CP. He had bought it for himself but never set it up properly. He thought that he could just take it out of the box and fly it. Fortunately he never got it off the ground. Unfortunately he stripped the main gear. I think that it was too loose or too tight. I am leaning toward too loose. He of course never kept the orig manual. So I have a few questions about the Belt CP. Are there any nuances or recommended upgrades that you have? Are there any parts that should or should not be upgraded to? Any help would be appreciated. BTW I am not unfamiliar with helicopters. I do have a Blade cp and a Blade cx.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Petey
Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Kelownan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: My new Belt CP

Just one,

Scrap that junk ESC its a waste of time, i guarantee you it will likely catch fire in the not so distant future.

i would reccomend a new deacent 30A one, other than that the BeltCP is great off the bat.

Did you get the new V2 version or the ol 2008 model.

I would reccomend a HH gyro too if its the older model

Kel

Old 05-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Disney1

Evening here is a link to the Esky Belt CP manual in PDF format. You will also find a other free useful manuals on this site

https://www.ushobbysupply.com/downloads.php

Ron Sr
Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 AM
FLYGUY09

I have the belt CP V2 and it's stock HH gyro (EK2-0704b) is an OK gyro ...but it is not good enough to hold the tail steady. No matter how I try to set it up just right the tail ends up drifting on me....not a real bad drift but it's very noticable....and quite irritating.

So I would order a different HH gyro. I have a Telebee GR302-A/D on a different heli (T-rex 450 clone) that I paid $29.99 from HobbyCity and I find it holds the tail so much better than the EK2-0704B does for less $$.

Also, I have bench tested the amperage draw on that stock Esky motor/battery/ESC combo with a Watts UP meter and I can tell you that I have seen well over 25 amps drawn for extended periods where you are flying the heli really hard and that WILL burn the controller up.....many real world folks have already shared their flame out stories with us all.

I would also upgrade the speed controller. Minimum 30 amps, with a 2A - 5V BEC.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
lowbudget

the 704b gyro will notwork with the 0406a transmitter - also on the BELT CP V2 gyro setup - use the rate mode / low gain / move tail servo to steady then switch over to HH MODE = VIC
Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 PM
helicrazedout

i would like to repeat a message for everyone! ALL PEOPLEWHOBUYABELTCP CHANGE OUT THE ESC FOR A BETTER ONE DO NOT FLY ON THE STOCK ONE!!! reason i say this is that when i was flying my belt cp for the 3rd time i was about 15ft. high using the stock esc all of a sudden the heli throttle goes complety dead and cuts to zero all power is lost! the heli drops out the sky like a rock and lucky hits the ground in a hard auto and bounches and lands saftley with no damage itcould of been a really bad crash. anyway after this i checked the whole heli and the esc was so hot it melted some of the plastic right off! i then bought a 30a hyperion titan esc and i have had no problems with it what so ever exellant esc copes very well and after 10 mins of hard flying its warm only! so dont trust the esky escit will crash your heli!
Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 AM
petey3

Many thanks to all who have responded.  I did buy a new ESC, 50A just to be safe.  Hopefully there will be no issues with the bird dropping from the sky or overheating.  I think that it may be bad already even though it has never flown yet.  I put a new main gear on it this morning and spun it up just to check the tracking.  I had to bring up the throttle ½ way before the blades would spin.  While they were spinning less than 30 seconds the motor would speed up and slow down suddenly without any input.  At one point it sped up so quickly that it chewed up the main gear in a small section.  I am thinking that it may have been the ESC acting up.  Perhaps it is the motor? I do not know.  If anyone has any ideas on this please let me know.  Just to be safe I ordered new gears for the motor as well as new main gears.  Getting parts for me is a long process because I am in Iraq at the moment.  So any thoughts on what if anything else I might need is appreciated.

Thanks

Petey

Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 PM
dyls1

Nothing to add, just want to say take care in Iraq mate.
D
Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 PM
FLYGUY09

lowbudget I am using the stock 72 mHz TX and if I do that you said and switch to HH mode the tail wags so bad like its gonna blow up. I find in HH mode I have the dial set at 2 and in rate mode like 5 - which makes more sense to me anyway as the gain settings should change between the two modes. Anyway, either way it only holds the tail for a bit then loses it. I have heard the stock TX/gyro get "dirty" after a bit and you end up constantly trying to adjust, which is exactly what I'm seeing. But it's not so bad that I can't fly it, it's just that it's kinda irritating.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
petey3

Just an update......

Got all my parts in and they are installed.  The old original motor seems to have a wobble to it like the shaft is bent a little.  That may be what was causing the main gear to strip.  So upgrading the motor was a good idea for sure.  I also got replacement pinions, gears and a new 60a ESC because of all the horrors I read bout the oem ESCs.  Now if only the weather would cooperate.  It has been 115 deg F the last week and the last few days have been windy as well.  Today got to 119 and by the time the wind died down it was too dark to fly.  Can't wait to get back to Germany and some cooler weather.  Hope I can fly tomorrow.