RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   Esky Honey Bee (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/1658823-esky-honey-bee.html)

ADE 03-25-2004 12:46 PM

Esky Honey Bee

I just bought an Esky Honey Bee and made a stupid nube mistake. Now I need to replace the flybar and a few other parts.

Can anyone tell me where to by parts? Also, Is there a simulator out there that will work with the transmitter that came with the unit?

If you own this heli...please provide any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tony

blueprints 03-25-2004 01:09 PM

RE: Esky Honey Bee

Is ther a site where we can know more abt this heli.

zeeshan 03-25-2004 02:45 PM

never heard of it
is iot a 2 channel or a four or above dose it have full cyclic and rear rotor control.

Xperimental 03-25-2004 06:25 PM

Yes, the E-sky honeybee has a connector to connect it to a computer. There you can use FMS2 to train in the simulator. My hobbyshop and i usually order from www.rc-expert.com or other hobbyshops from china.
The e-sky from my point of view flies better than the aerohawk, feda, and all others. Why did i say that? Cause at first hover, it's very stable (or am i just lucky with it? :D ) I was also going to buy it, but i was tempted to buy the dragonfly cause it's so much like the hummingbird, and thus i can make mods very similar with the hummingbird. The parts of the dragonfly are also more well known.

Hope that helps.

ADE 03-25-2004 07:31 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll try that online hobby shop. I purchased my unit off ebay and it came with a spy cam and sim cord. However, I have not been able to get the transmitter to work with FMS. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My computer is loaded with XP but I can control everything with my keyboard. Any tips on this are welcomed as well. Being new to this area sucks! I want to get my bird in the air.....I've contacted my seller in china and gave him my needed part number....hopefully things will pan out.

Thanks again,

Tony

Xperimental 03-25-2004 08:03 PM

You know, i'm now able to fly my feda dragonfly without the help of simulators. Simulators do help, you can also learn to hover/fly without it. These micro helis (dragonfly, hummingbird, aerohawk, esky) are quite strong. Even with so many crashes they're still almost like new. As long as you don't fly too high, keep it chest high or below. Fly too low is also not good, coz of the ground effect. It'll definitely slides left, correct it and once you're at chest level, it'll level. As long as you configure your gyro to a neutral/close to neutral trim, you'll be able to learn to hover.
I think fms only works in windows98 (with tx)? But i did try with winxp and stil works (with keyboard). But i haven't tried connecting the tx to the computer with winxp.

joiner33 03-28-2004 07:54 AM

I just got my esky honey bee and got a pretty good little gash in my arm [:@] because when I turned my radio on and set the trim and throttle to it's lowest setting and then hooked up the battery pack the blades were turning at full throttle. The throttle will not go up or down seems to be stuck in full throttle. Did I recieve a defective honey bee or am I doing something wrong?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darkside212 03-28-2004 10:28 AM

Here's a link to a guy who sells simulators, interfaces, and tx's. He's very professional and his customer support is A1!
http://www.tti-us.com/sim/

darkside212 03-28-2004 10:33 AM

ADE,
You can make your own flybar out of some carbon fiber from either your local hobby shop or a kite store. When cutting (with an xacto) roll the cf otherwise it will shard.

hadis 03-28-2004 08:59 PM

Dear All,

I have bought many e-Skies.Most of them will fly well out of the box. But if you have no experience in using rc heli before, you'd better borrow a simulator from someone to save you from crash. This heli is quite tough, it will withstand crash anyway. Add small plastic pipe to the tail rotor support. It will avoid the tail blade from hitting the ground if you accidently land the heli with tail blade first.

I'm willing to email you the picture of my heli along with its small video , in low altitude , just about 30 cms from the floor, moving aroung the living room.

You gotta practice many times to be able to fly micro heli. They are more difficult to fly than engine powered heli.

Good Luck,

ADE 03-29-2004 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: darkside212

Here's a link to a guy who sells simulators, interfaces, and tx's. He's very professional and his customer support is A1!

Darkside212, - Thanks. I have downloaded everyhting from Tom's site. I still cant get my simulator to work. Somewhere out there exist a disk with everything (FMS, upgrades, drivers, etc) you need to get FMS up and running. I see this disk included in many heli packages that are being sold on ebay. I just purchased an ARF honey bee for parts.

I would really like to get a simulator without having to spend so much money.

Thanks,

Tony

hadis 03-29-2004 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: ADE

ORIGINAL: darkside212

Darkside212, - Thanks. I have downloaded everyhting from Tom's site. I still cant get my simulator to work. Somewhere out there exist a disk with everything (FMS, upgrades, drivers, etc) you need to get FMS up and running. I see this disk included in many heli packages that are being sold on ebay. I just purchased an ARF honey bee for parts.

I would really like to get a simulator without having to spend so much money.

Thanks,

Tony
Do you know True flite 3D (www.tru-flite.co.uk) ? It is inexpensive, and realistic. pls give it a try.
would email me your email address, I have tru-flite interface for sale , for less than USD 20.

kagreen2k 03-31-2004 11:20 PM

I just tried my esky for the first time. It does slide left and I really don't have enough room. I did manage to get the hang of the controls a little bit. No crashes and no incidents. I almost had it up and hovering. It takes a lot of patience and very careful trimming. It also seems like it DOES take a fair amount of practice. I ordered the "training wheels" and I'm waiting for them to come.

I have a question: what do you do with the antenna ? Do you leave wound around one rail ? It seemed to weigh the copter down to one side so I wrapped it loosely around both rails.

I'm new to RC helicopters. I started flying RC planes 15 years ago but didn't do it very much and have a lot of experience with RC cars. I have enough experience to have fair idea of what's going with the esky. I think this is a great little helicopter for $180! I always wanted a RC helicopter but didn't want to spend a lot of money.

I wasn't crazy about the manual being in Chinese but I think more info will pop up on the net. I would love to see the videos; I think I can learn from them. How can I give you my email address with out posting it on the forum ?

hadis 04-01-2004 01:12 AM

Tips for flying RC micro helis:

- Give immediate enough throttle to make it lift off, do not increase the throttle slowly. It will slide the heli to the left, and you will run out of space very soon..
- Once it lifts off the ground, adjust the aileron control to the right, as the heli will tend to bank to the left.
- If the heli is in the air, adjust the rudder trimmer so that the heli will maintain the heading.
- E sky can be controlled easier when it sin the air.
- Do not overcontrol. Just do the correction smoothly.
- I have bought many E-skies , and most of them are ready to fly out of the box.

You can download a small portion of my e-sky circling around my living room at http://knvonline.net/files/esky1.wmv

Hope this will help.

NeoLogic 04-01-2004 09:42 AM

If you're serious about learning to fly, and you're willing to spend some time, I recommend:

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

You have to realize these things are not toys that you get from your local KBtoy Store in the mall, slap some batteries in, and give to your 8 year old to fly around the house. You need to treat them like the full size brotherin. That means some flight instruction is in order for all you n00bs.

Hope this helps.

kagreen2k 04-01-2004 12:51 PM

Flight #2

The more I play with the Honey Bee, the more impressed I become. Hadi graciously sent me his video and it taught me quite a bit. I was able to get her up for short flights!!! I have very little room and was still able to get the copter up in brief controlled flights. I also whacked both props (on furniture and floor) quite a few times and nary a scratch on them. This copter is VERY forgiving! Sure, I got tired of straightening the props; but the fact that they fold keeps them from breaking.

I think the trick to learning to fly this copter (which was revealed in Hadi's video) is to set the side to side and front to back trims as even as possible. Only use the tail rotor control and the copter's propensity to move left to turn clockwise circles. Only trying to just barely get it off of the ground. At most my copter was 6 inches off of the ground. If I have to cut the power suddenly, the copter doesn't have far to fall.

Check out http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html (courtesy of NeoLogic) there is a lot of good info here.

Also, I ordered the "training wheels" and the lithium battery. I'll post my experiences.

Ken

hadis 04-01-2004 02:01 PM

Good Luck Kagreen2K.

You'll love this little bird.
I now can fly it outdoor with "PE" Blade which has flat bottomed airfoil.

I'm willing to upload my e-sky video to encourage others to fly this heli.
does somebody here know where I can upload it ( 12 MB) ?

With a 1800 mAH Lithium battery, you can fly more 35 minutes, but be aware of your tail motor.
It'd better to stop every 10-15 minutes to give the motors some minutes to cool down before next run.

I'm Indonesian, sorry for my english.

zeeshan 04-01-2004 02:43 PM

hadis i ould like to see your video can you e-mail it to mne my e-maill adress is [email protected] thank you if you cant for any reason dnt worry thank anywayz.

NeoLogic 04-01-2004 09:57 PM

Well, my friend got his eSky in the mail today. I have a few questions since this is the first time I have seen one of these in real-life..

First of all, it seems the radio is in Mode 1. Meaning the rudder is on the right gimbal, and the left and right cyclic are on the left gimbal. Does anyone know how to switch it to a Mode 2 system? As for the throttle and aft and fore cyclic, they are as they should be. I noticed on the reciever, you can't just unplug the servos and motors and switch them in a different channel.

Second.... the motor doesn't work on my friend's eSky. I charged the pack on my Schulze 6-330d, so I know we have a full charge. All the servos work, but when we throttle it up, nothing happens. Does this sound like that board is bad? Could this problem also be related to the first problem... I even switched the tail rotor motor and the main motor wires in the reciever/gyro/speed control box. Nothing worked. This is my friend's first R/C anything, and I don't want him to get discouraged.

Any ideas would be most helpful... since I don't think the guy he bought this from will do any sort of return or exchange.

Thanks in advance.

ADE 04-02-2004 10:59 AM

NeoLogic,

On your friends bird....make sure your throttle is in the lowest position....this includes your trim. When you plug in the battery make sure your transmitter is on. Before you touch the sticks give your gyro a chance to initialized. The blade should turn from there.

Has anyone been able to locate a place to by parts for this heli.

I have mine and have been reading Radd's Shool of Rotory Flight and that seems to help. I still would like to get my heli in the air.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Tony

ADE 04-02-2004 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: NeoLogic

Well, my friend got his eSky in the mail today. I have a few questions since this is the first time I have seen one of these in real-life..

First of all, it seems the radio is in Mode 1. Meaning the rudder is on the right gimbal, and the left and right cyclic are on the left gimbal. Does anyone know how to switch it to a Mode 2 system? As for the throttle and aft and fore cyclic, they are as they should be. I noticed on the reciever, you can't just unplug the servos and motors and switch them in a different channel.

Second.... the motor doesn't work on my friend's eSky. I charged the pack on my Schulze 6-330d, so I know we have a full charge. All the servos work, but when we throttle it up, nothing happens. Does this sound like that board is bad? Could this problem also be related to the first problem... I even switched the tail rotor motor and the main motor wires in the reciever/gyro/speed control box. Nothing worked. This is my friend's first R/C anything, and I don't want him to get discouraged.

Any ideas would be most helpful... since I don't think the guy he bought this from will do any sort of return or exchange.

Thanks in advance.
NeoLogic,

I have the same deal with my radio. I would like to change mine as well. I emailed the guy I purchased from and he says it can be changed but has not responded to my request for directions on "How To".

I would also like to find parts for my esky. Has anyone found a place to purchase replacement parts.

Thanks,

Tony

NeoLogic 04-02-2004 01:50 PM

Hey Tony, thanks a million! I told Ray, my friend over the phone this morning to cut the trim all the way back and see if that helps. It did! I would never have thought to do that, but it's all it took.

As for replacement parts, it's a hummingbird clone, so most of those parts are interchangeable with the hummingbird. Anywhere you can buy a hummingbird, is most likely where you can get parts for the esky. (Main rotor blades, tail rotor, things like that)

As for the mode one/mode two thing... i found out something. Actually, I figured it out. The radio IS mode 2 already. (throttle on the left.) If it wasn't mode 2, the ratcheting y-axis gimbal would be on the right. So with that said, the problem we are experiencing is a fubar 3-1 board. There may not be any physical or mechanical defect, just poor design. The only way I know how to fix it is to replace it with one that is compatible with the TX that came with the esky. I'm not sure which shift it is (airtronics or futaba).I'm getting a Hitec Eclipse 7, for my plane, and when it comes in, I'll let you know which shift it is since that radio can change shift.

Anyway, thanks again for your help Tony!

-Drew

hadis 04-02-2004 02:24 PM

zeeshan,

you can download my e-sky video at http://knvonline.net/files/eksy1.wmv

ADE 04-02-2004 03:12 PM

NeoLogic,

Thanks! Glad to hear your friend was able to try my suggestion and get his bird going...Now comes the hard part....learning how to fly. Good Luck!

I'll let you know if I find out anything else about the radio.

I also have not been able to get my transmitter to work with FMS flight simulator. My computer is loaded with XP operating system and FMS says it should work. Does anyone have any information on whats going on? My cord from the transmitter plugs right into a parrallel port on the back of my computer.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

FLIPBEL 04-06-2004 01:46 PM

HEY, I AM HAPPY TO KNOW THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO NEEDS PART FOR THE HONEY BEE. YOU TOLD ADE THAT PART FROM THE CENTURY HB FIT THE ESKY. I KNOW YOU TOLD ADE THAT THE MAIN AND TAIL ROTOR CAN BE USED. WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE LITTLE ARMS AND BALL JOINTS?

HOW LONG DO YOU CHARGE YOUR BATTERY?
DOES YOUR HELI VIBRATE AND IF SO HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THAT PROBLEM?

THANKS
FLIPPER