RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   Mystery 1500mah LiPo, anybody else waste some $$ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/7808989-mystery-1500mah-lipo-anybody-else-waste-some-%24%24.html)

KCinNC 08-04-2008 08:00 PM

Mystery 1500mah LiPo, anybody else waste some $$

1 Attachment(s)
i went through a few of the 900mah 2S Mystery batteries...they worked OK, so i ordered a couple of the 1500 3S for the King

i wasn't impressed with the small guage wire right off the bat...after soldering on the Deans conn....one wire just fell off

bosborne0010 08-04-2008 08:41 PM

RE: Mystery 1500mah LiPo, anybody else waste some $$

I know it is hard to do but take the time invest in the Outrage Xp 25C. If you have to buy the 1300Mah for 40 do it!! I bought 2 of the 25C 1800 for $50 and i am a beginner in flying but i know batteries is where it is at! especially with lipo's. DON'T take the risk in having a cheap lipo destroy a 200+ ... ++ Heli all for a $15-20 battery. Just remember the higher the C the better the battery is going to be most of the time. Also, when shopping for a battery be sure to find companies who run test and show proof!! Outrage has the proof in the pudding!

JUMPSTREET66 08-04-2008 09:47 PM

Been using The larger 25c- 30c ,14.8, 11.1 and 22 volt Mystery Li-Po for almost a year now. Have yet to have any problems,and I run everything I have very hard. I have noticed that they do unbalance but they all do. My Mysterys have come back everytime even when I kill one cell below 3 volts,it will balance right back. Spending a ton of $$$$ for a battery with a very limited life is a waste,and I' ve wasted alot of $$$$ over the last two years. I found its more important to have a good charger,one that is capable of reading the battery properly and being able to manually set the inputs.Put your $$$ in the charger.As for broken wires ,I 've had several high end batteries do that.It just hurt more knowing I spent $100+ for it .

DumbDawg 08-04-2008 10:03 PM

I've bought 2200 - 25C batteries from fleabay. I have 6 of them I bought from guy in HK for less than $20 delivered to my door... They work great so theres no reason to buy expensive batteries. ALL the batteries coming out of HK pretty much have all deans connectors and spares with each battery you buy. Seach for a seller named You-want. Can't beat his prices or his customer service.

Happy fly'n

jimmy 1987 08-05-2008 03:39 AM

solder the wire back on.... my esky battery did the same and i just took the battery apart and soldered it back on works perfectly again.

funflier 08-05-2008 04:35 AM

I buy the cheap batteries also and have had only 2 that came DOA.
I notice that that bad one that he shows has a JST conn on it and was wondering why as I have never seen a 3s pack with that kind of conn. 2s and 1s packs like for a Lama yes but on a 3s pack??
If your running a 3800 3900 motor I don't think you really need anything over a 20c battery unless your into some heavy flying and then you probably have a larger motor and esc to handle it so you would go to a 25C battery. I can hover for 15-18 min on a 2200mh 20c battery that I paid 14$ for 2 of and 12$ shipping. I can buy a lot of those for 50$. Batteries very rarely go bad on the heli its when your charging them that you see them puff or go bad.
I use a good balancer charger combo that can monitor the battery throughout its balance and charge cycle and I am careful that I take the extra time to trickle charge low batteries up to acceptable levels before I hit them with a 1C charge, Actually I usually use a .75c charge rate. I have the time.... not in a rush heck I have 10 batteries now.

kianhon 08-05-2008 04:51 AM

Have 9 unbranded lipo each cost only $8 for my lama and another 8 2200mah 20c 3s1p for my Belt-CP which only cost $25 each(Zippy, ABF, Mystery and etc). So far so good. Just remember that you are paying $20 for a Lipo without much QC, so don't blame it if it don't perform as well as those $80 Lipo. These Lipo serve well for hovering and manuvering, no point buying expensive Lipo to do that. Have a Outrage but don't see the difference between them.

I even have 2 $40 balance charge (Turnigy and Mystery), don't see the difference with my $130 thunder power balance charger. I regret spending $130 on that TP charger, instead of $40 for the Turnigy and Mystery balance charger.

If you are doing hardcore 3D, should you go for expensive Lipo? No idea, cuz I'm not there yet. Probably takes couple of years to reach 3D and I'm sure I saved tons of money on Lipo before I need to buy expensive Lipo for 3D.

KCinNC 08-05-2008 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: funflier

I buy the cheap batteries also and have had only 2 that came DOA.
I notice that that bad one that he shows has a JST conn on it and was wondering why as I have never seen a 3s pack with that kind of conn. 2s and 1s packs like for a Lama yes but on a 3s pack??
If your running a 3800 3900 motor I don't think you really need anything over a 20c battery unless your into some heavy flying and then you probably have a larger motor and esc to handle it so you would go to a 25C battery. I can hover for 15-18 min on a 2200mh 20c battery that I paid 14$ for 2 of and 12$ shipping. I can buy a lot of those for 50$. Batteries very rarely go bad on the heli its when your charging them that you see them puff or go bad.
I use a good balancer charger combo that can monitor the battery throughout its balance and charge cycle and I am careful that I take the extra time to trickle charge low batteries up to acceptable levels before I hit them with a 1C charge, Actually I usually use a .75c charge rate. I have the time.... not in a rush heck I have 10 batteries now.

that is in fact a Deans connector...i had just soldered it on

DumbDawg 08-05-2008 10:23 AM

I have stayed cheap as well... I use an Align charger, $40 and the Equinox inline/stand alone balancer for keeping my bats all in good condition. I've only have one battery start to puff and I emailed the supplier and he sent me a new battery right away without me sending back the old one. I bought 7.4- 900Mah batteries 2-$14 including shipping and I have six of them, 6 - 11.1 - 2200 batteries all of which I've paid less than $20 delivered so when it comes to batteries and chargers... theres really no need to spend gobs of money on gear. I have enough batteries that I'm tired by the time I fly out the six batteries. And if I get desparate for batteries after I fly out my second battery the first is cold and I start it charging on the Align charger, then I throw another battery on the Esky charger when one becomes ready... I don't need to be in a hurry... also if I find I need more... its easier to just buy a few more because they are so cheap. IMO

So stay cheap... save ur money where you can to buy that next heli... LOL

happy fly'n

passerbyeus 08-05-2008 06:35 PM

I just had a Mystery spark on me last night and it was brand new. It was my 5th one the others are fine. I think now on Ill pay the extra couple bucks to have the deans already on, they seem to be more stable.

Druss 08-05-2008 09:23 PM

I've had pretty much every single one of my mystery batteries puff on me sooner or later. I don't buy them anymore. I'm sticking to Air Thunder, Kong Power and Outrage.

passerbyeus 08-05-2008 10:15 PM

I think I am going with you the other one I got with the one that sparked I flu it tonight and took it out and it done bulged out on me and was hottttt. On the other hand though I have two small 7.4 and they are great but I need the big ones and Myster is just not cutting it.

Druss 08-05-2008 10:23 PM

both my 7.4v and 11.1v batteries have puffed, some from sitting while fully charged (none of my air thunder, align or thunder power batteries have puffed from this), and others from use. I don't believe their C ratings either as they tend to get much hotter than my other batteries of the same capacity and C rating.

So while I understand that they are cheap I don't like the hazard or having to replace them. I'd even rather buy used high quality batteries than new mysteries.

kianhon 08-05-2008 11:29 PM

I would say is all about luck when comes to cheap Lipo, if that batch is bad, then is too bad for those who bought it. There are tons of cheap Lipo with different brand out there and if all of them are as bad as some said, you would not have heard any good reviews about them.
When a cheap Lipo puff before its time, ppl complain that it have no quality. But when an expensive Lipo puff, ppl blame on their charger, misuse of it, bad luck, all and all but never is because of the quality of that Lipo itself.

Many expensive Lipo puff before its time, and many $20 Lipo went on and on. I would say is a combination of luck and handling when comes to cheap Lipo and is well worth it especially for beginners flyers.

funflier 08-06-2008 01:33 AM

not only don't believe the C ratings (thats why I charge at .75C) but I found most of the Mystery batteries are Not actually what they are stamped at all. LHS checked out my 2200ma and 4 of them were right around 1950 to barely 2000.

Tommyjoking 08-06-2008 09:03 AM

kianhon

Many expensive Lipo puff before its time, and many $20 Lipo went on and on. I would say is a combination of luck and handling when comes to cheap Lipo and is well worth it especially for beginners flyers.
I would have to agree with you there as I are one.:D

I got two 1500 15c mystery that have not seen much use, but they are fine, so far. I have had good luck so far with the zippy packs from hobbycity/hobbyking. I ordered six of them and they seem to be doing fine....only 6 flights or so on each but they all last about the same and charge the same. No 3d here yet...but the 7.4 packs I got get pushed very hard (high current draw and discharge). They are SUPER cheap so no big loss if one puffs or goes early. If I get 30 flights out of one $10 pack, I figure I got more then my moneys worth and that would be cheaper then nitro easy. :D I think its luck of the draw really, as already stated, the high dollar packs probably have way better quality control but....I can buy a buttload of cheap packs for the price of one thunderpower.

DumbDawg 08-06-2008 11:22 AM

Have to agree with Tommy on this as well... all my batteries are EC Power batteries and they have performed great with one that puffed slightly, very slight. When I contacted the supplier and told him it was starting to puff he sent me another battery for $5. Thats all I paid... $5.00. So for me I'm definately going to stay cheap as it makes getting more batteries more affordable. The more batteries means I don't have to work the ones I have as hard and they should last plenty longer. If they do fail... well $15 delivered for a 2200 - 25C lipo is cheap enough for me to replace as often as I need to. I'll bet if I bought 10 of these batteries I'd get far more flight time from all the batteries that someone who bought one(1) $150 ultra quality battery.

IMHO... Happy Fly'n

Druss 08-06-2008 02:55 PM

I think you guys are missing some of my point... first of all, no 2200mah 25C batteries cost $150, even the TP extreme v2 is $80 (that's pretty much the most expensive). You can get air thunder, kong power or outrage; all very good batteries, for around $50-$60. I realize that's still more than the others but I've never had one puff on me, they also stay balanced much better and I'm going to guess that I'll get more cycles out of them.

I don't use crappy electronics in my helis, even my king2 and belt cp have either JR or Futaba servos in them, and I'm not going to risk any of my helis, house... etc. to save $30. I can understand that a new person to the hobby doesn't want to spend a lot on batteries but unfortunately, it's usually true that you get what you pay for.

Just as a note, I've owned 6 mystery and other lipos and every single one of them has puffed on me. I also own 4 GE Power batteries and 1 of them came with a dead cell. It just is not worth my time to deal with these issues.

bassking511 08-06-2008 05:29 PM

question while we are on the topic of batts my charger goes up to 4.2v/cell i have a 3s 1800 is 4.2 too high, because ive heard that 4.2 is too much and 4.15 is better...
whats the truth..

bassking511 08-06-2008 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

Have to agree with Tommy on this as well... all my batteries are EC Power batteries and they have performed great with one that puffed slightly, very slight. When I contacted the supplier and told him it was starting to puff he sent me another battery for $5. Thats all I paid... $5.00. So for me I'm definately going to stay cheap as it makes getting more batteries more affordable. The more batteries means I don't have to work the ones I have as hard and they should last plenty longer. If they do fail... well $15 delivered for a 2200 - 25C lipo is cheap enough for me to replace as often as I need to. I'll bet if I bought 10 of these batteries I'd get far more flight time from all the batteries that someone who bought one(1) $150 ultra quality battery.

IMHO... Happy Fly'n

wow...$25 delivered? mind sending me the link:D

DumbDawg 08-06-2008 05:42 PM

Actually I didn't say any batteries cost $150, I was making a generalized statement that anyone buying an expensive battery that I could purchase the same amout of cheaper batteries and more than likely get way more out of ALL the batteries bput together than ONE high priced battery. Does this clear this up some??? And I agree.. I would NEVER buy a Mystery product because htey are such crappy products but they are NOT the only makers of cheaper batteries. The technology on lipo's is changing and they are getting much better and less hazardous.

The thing with this hobby is also to each their own. I personally don't buy real cheap as well because often it IS what you pay for is what you get. I try to go middle of the road as opposed to nothing but top end. Top end stuff fails too. I can't justify( generalized statement ahead) spending $120 on a futaba servo when I can buy a $30 karbonite servo thats about equal in quicknessand will last nearly as long??? Unless money is no object then what would it matter. The other point is that the K2's are generally an 'entry' heli and its not worth spending gobs of money upgrading these birds. If you are buy CF frames,cnc heads and upgrading everything at a fair amount of cost would it not be better to Just go out and BUY and staright-up better heli off the start like a Trex???

I would argue against your more expensive batteries being better, better balanced and the like. After I charge my batteries on the not that special Align charger, then balance them off with the Equinox balancer. All my batteries balance out quick and evenly, giving me great flight times and they aren't hot when I finish flying. I don't even have to run them down to their recharge mark because I have more than enough time on the six batteries that I'm tired at the end. So I believe my batteries will last just as long as your more expensive ones will BECAUSE I'm not having to work them as hard or down to their limits. But I can't prove this yet as I haven't had to replace any yet. So we are back to... to each their own. :)

happy fly'n

Druss 08-06-2008 08:49 PM

DD, nothing against you but lets deal with facts and not exagerations or generalizations. A lot of ppl will read your posts thinking that they have the choice between a $150 battery or a $15 battery when that's not true. Same thing with the servo comment. Very few servos, futaba or otherwise, are $120.

I agree that the K2 is an entry level heli but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't replace the parts with quality as they break or wear out. My king2 stock battery didn't last that long. When my esky servos stripped I didn't replace them with esky servos, I bought some DS285's that someone was selling from a DX7 kit because they wanted better servos in their trex, they cost me about $15 each which is not much more than the stock esky ones.

The most expensive micro servo I know of is the Hitec 6065 MG which is the digital version of the HB65MG and it's under $60 although I believe that Airtronics has a micro that might cost more. and when I say my batteries stay in balance I mean that after they are done being used they are still within .1v of each other, usually even less than that. That means that I have a much lower chance of overdischarging one cell and proves the quality is better when it comes to cell matching.

Just as with the Esky Belt CP ESC issues, the lower end batteries are the same. I have bought Tenergy batteries and they have worked fine, still not as much punch as my other "expensive" batteries but a couple levels above the other chinese brands. But then again, even Tenergy lipos cost in the $30 to $40 range.

I've got over 10 3S batteries so mine don't work hard either, they will definitely last longer than most of the cheaper chinese brands out there.

But, in the end you're right, to each their own. We each have our own standards and what we're willing to put up with or expect for the money we spend. I have always been disappointed when I've "cheaped out" and the Mystery batteries were not the exception.

funflier 08-07-2008 04:22 AM

Only wishs Walmart had LiPos and then I would shop there more often. After all the Walmart family is known for selling quailty products aren't they?:D

KCinNC 08-07-2008 08:11 AM

how complicated is it to take the battery apart and solder on some new "better" wires ?? does it hurt the battery any?

DumbDawg 08-07-2008 08:25 AM

Catastrophic failure to the extreme on the scale of a small neighborhood sized nuclear weapon. Thats why you want your neighbor to solder them on for you while you and your family go several miles away to the local HS to buy some heli parts, body bags and a few AA batteries for your Tx at wallyworld. :)

Wish I could help but I've not had the pleasure yet to solder anything but connectors to a battery. You can't really hurt the battery unless you seriously short it out, then I would either run like hell or toss it like a grenade into the neighbours yard across the street. You didn't like them so much anyway. :)

happy fly'n