Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Countdown to Perry!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Countdown to Perry!

I'm looking for a Zenoha G-20 and a G-26 Some JR Sport 126 servos and some Hitec 645mg anyone have these that is going to Perry, if so I tell you where are tables are located.
Thanks
Doug
Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

ORIGINAL: DougB1

I'm looking for a Zenoha G-20 and a G-26 Some JR Sport 126 servos and some Hitec 645mg anyone have these that is going to Perry, if so I tell you where are tables are located.
Thanks
Doug
Hey DougB1,

I have a Zenoah G-20 that I'm selling for a fellow club member, It is in great shape but needs a new ignition, which you can get from RCExcel. Price will be $150.00 Call me at 404-547-9859 if interested.

Loopman
Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
DougB1

[quote]ORIGINAL: Loopman

ORIGINAL: DougB1

Thanks
Doug
Hey DougB1,

I have a Zenoah G-20 that I'm selling for a fellow club member, It is in great shape but needs a new ignition, which you can get from RCExcel. Price will be $150.00 Call me at 404-547-9859 if interested.

Loopman
[/quote
I'll give you a call Friday or stop by my table, it is in the Heritage Building tables G6-12
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got back from Perry.... I enjoyed the show/swap meet as always. Attendance seemed down both in sellers and buyers, however I scored a good buy of an early Hanger-9 J-3 cub 1/4 scale, the 100" one with fabric covering not the current version. It's all there in good flyable condition with a Saito 120 engine. I will make a few cosmetic upgrades, scale it out some more, and go thru all the flight systems before its ready for the field test. Thanks to the gentleman from Blairsville, Ga. who cut a deal for me on it. I left home with "an empty pick up truck and a stack of money" and returned with "partially filled pick up truck, a slightly shorter stack of money, and a smile on my face". Perry is always fun!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 AM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wondered how many tables are there, and if it is worth the effort to go and how the swap area compares to say Toledo.  I wanted to stop by on the Florida trip but it was a few days later than my plan.  I might go next year.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Loopman

ORIGINAL: aspeed

I just wondered how many tables are there, and if it is worth the effort to go and how the swap area compares to say Toledo. I wanted to stop by on the Florida trip but it was a few days later than my plan. I might go next year.
aspeed,
There are 1000 tables, three buildings, outdoor demos (weather permitting), indoor flying, stuff being sold outside by those who could not get a table, vendors, to include "Atlanta Hobby", "Stockbridge Hobbies", "Hodges Hobbies", "EMS/Jomar", "Extreme Flight", "Agape Racing"... Toledo's swap area is like a roadside produce vendor compared to Perry! Actually, there is nothing like Perry in the Continental USA.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 03-04-2012, 09:12 AM
LP

I have been to both and this was the 18 th year for me ! We had 12 guys with us this year, we had 10 tables and we sold just about everything . We bought several airplanes and a ton of hardware and anything you could think of. There is several screw guyies as we call them (JR Hobbies comes to mind ) Mac Hodges has just about everything and he is the fuel supplier with out a doubt ! And don't forget Valley View Hobbies they came all the way from Washington State ! as well as some guys from California. This is now the largest Swap Meet in the world it truly dwarfs Toledo in action and DEALS . If you have never been there and (I QUOTE a club member that went this year ) There is no explaining what this is like , One just can not comprehend all of this at one TIME !
We leave south Alabama on Thursday morning and convoy to Mike and Eds BBQ in Phenix City Alabama and have Ribs for lunch (If you have never had their ribs I truly feel sorry for you ! ) and then on to Perry . We fly foamies in the parking lot at the Motel play Guitars and Fiddles and relax and tell a few stories . Then Friday morning we get in line between 6:30 and 7:00 (Gate opens at 8:00) and for sure some of us fly foamies while we wait . And at 8:00 the dealing in ON ! and it starts all over the next day . I don't know if we could take 3 days of this !
If you have not done this and you are a modeler you had better put this on you Bucket list ! Because there is NOTHING like it !

Clear Skies
LLP
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
aspeed

So I guess I should bring the van and a stack of $$$ next year. Sounds good.  Thanx
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Loopman

ORIGINAL: aspeed

So I guess I should bring the van and a stack of $$$ next year. Sounds good. Thanx
Hey, don't bring any of those darned canadian quarters! EH! Yes definitely plan on making it next year.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
aspeed

Our quarters are worth more than yours,(this week anyway) so I'll bring US $,
Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM
52larry52

Not only is Canadian money worth more than ours, so is Monopoly money and Confederate money!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM
LP

You always need a lot of money when you go to Perry It is the swapping and buying capital of the world of Model Aviation .
You will always see things you have never seen before ! and some of it will have to ride home with you .
Be careful bringing your wife unless she is willing to ride on the roof on the way home holding a airplane .

Our money might not be worth much but a lot of it was traded Friday and Saturday !

Both quarters are about the same when you make washers from them !

Clear Skies
LLP
Old 03-04-2012, 05:13 PM
hfenn

Here are some video clips from the SMS Perry show.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f6HjgE1kB0[/youtube]
Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Loopman

Very Nice Video! It really legitimizes what we have been saying about the Perry show for some time. I think we (collectively) should thank Norm Deputy and the rest of the GAMA club for putting on a super show and hope next year will be even bigger! (If that's possible).

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 AM
stuka
My Feedback: (62)

I agree they always do an excellent job. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

I always have fun at this get together. It has become as much of a social event as a swap meet. We have as much fun talking and BSing in the parking lot and at the hotel as we do inside the building. Always good to see old friends and make some new ones. I have been attending this event for at least 16 years and it just gets bigger.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 AM
stevenmax50

I made it to Perry!!!  My first year ever.  A couple of my club members got there a couple of hours before me and so I was walking around for a bit before we met up.  I was blown away by how many sellers there were.  And then I found out I was only in the first building!  3 large buildings of everything rc was so cool.  I managed to only spend 600 bucks.  But I actually got everything on my wish list.  Including an 80 cc gasser.  It is used and came from an estate sale so I do not know how well it works.  But hey, it was only 250 bucks. 
I also got a float plane that is 180 at Tower and I paid 100 NIB.  And another foamie BD5 for 30 bucks.  AND an RDS 8000 for only 30 bucks.  I feel like I made out very well.
Next year I am going with at least 1000 to 1500.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
DougB1

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

I made it to Perry!!! My first year ever. A couple of my club members got there a couple of hours before me and so I was walking around for a bit before we met up. I was blown away by how many sellers there were. And then I found out I was only in the first building! 3 large buildings of everything rc was so cool. I managed to only spend 600 bucks. But I actually got everything on my wish list. Including an 80 cc gasser. It is used and came from an estate sale so I do not know how well it works. But hey, it was only 250 bucks.
I also got a float plane that is 180 at Tower and I paid 100 NIB. And another foamie BD5 for 30 bucks. AND an RDS 8000 for only 30 bucks. I feel like I made out very well.
Next year I am going with at least 1000 to 1500.
The REAL way to go to Perry is take a trailer fill it up then your truck then your done. The first year we went we took an Explorer and found out it was not big enough. The second year we took my trailer and the Expedition, NOW we had enough room.
Doug
Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
LP

One of my friends that is in our flying gang said the sad thing about all of this is its a year until we can go again !
We take at least one big trailer sometimes two not counting the trucks with camper tops . We had to leave some at home this year as we just didn't have enough room . We totally filled 10 tables and brought more as we sold stuff . You know how it works , fly it this year and sell it next year . We do it all , Tail gate and cook out in the parking lot at the Hotel as well as fly foamies in the parking lot of the hotel . This year we brought Guitars and Fiddles , It just don't get any better than this .This was my 18th year and I can't wait until next year !

Clear skies
LLP

Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 PM
52larry52

As reported earlier, my "Perry prize" this year was a early 1/4 scale Hanger 9 J-3 Cub. It's the 100" fabric covered version and came with Robert main gear and a Saito 120, good bones! I've spent the last 2 1/2 months cleaning, repairing, and upgrading it to my liking. I rebuilt, and repainted the Robert gear adding new "O" ring bungies, painted the interior cub yellow adding a pilot shelf with two pilots and a volt watch, added NC#'s to the wings and tail, panel lines for a cockpit door, repaired and repainted the cowl with foe engine painted, new wooden prop and aluminun spinner,repaired the wing struts, repaired and painted the flying wires in the tail, upgraded nuts and bolts as needed, added RX and battery, added a fueling valve, cleaned and reinstalled the fuel tank, remounted the Saito, rebalanced, reset all the control throws, and on and on and on! Finally it looked like it should and was ready to fly. Yesterday (Sunday) I did the maiden at the club field. SWEET....two clicks of left aileron and it almost flew itself! I couldn't be more pleased. For well less than 1/2 what a new Hanger 9 Cub would cost, with a little work I have a good looking and sweet flying 1/4 scale J-3 Cub. Thanks again to the gentleman from Blairsville, Ga. who sold it to me. Don't know yet what I'am going to shop for at Perry next Year, but I'll be there with my empty pick up truck and a pocket full of greenbacks. See you there.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 AM
LP

Count down to Perry
What a DEAL and is there anything prettier than a CUB on take off and landings .
We have several in our club. I am actually finishing a 63 inch wingspan CUB with a Saito 56 .
We made Hotel reservations about a month ago for my 19th trip to Perry .

Clear Skies
LP
Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 PM
d boothe
My Feedback: (16)

who's bringing what to Perry?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Originally Posted by d boothe View Post
who's bringing what to Perry?
I have a built PCM L-1011 Tristar with electronics and gear installed (no turbine), a pattern plane (think it is an old Kaos, with tuned pipe, OS 60 RE, Springair retracts, and a built Ziroli sized DC3 with twin 26 cc gas engines and Lykes electric retracts.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:30 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (6)

Doc I need more information on the DC-3.

I am bringing a couple of kits:
House of Balsa P-51 Candyman
Midwest Pattern Master

Couple of NIB ARFs:
Champion 45
Venus II with OS FS120

Modified ARF:
Top Flite 60 size P-51 ARF, Fiber glassed, panel lined, riveted, with spring air retracts

A Yellow Aircraft P-47 project, had a test flight mishap and owner did not want to repair it:
Fuse is repaired, new wing cores, new belly pan, new cowl, Yellow retracts and wheels. Zenoah G45 with carb bend and spring starter.

And if anyone is interested I have an American Eagle P-51 fuse I could bring and the Lykes retracts for it. (It's the same size as a Nosen Mustang)

Last edited by pkoury; 02-17-2015 at 06:55 PM.