Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Where to fly in Pittsburg PA

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Where to fly in Pittsburg PA

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 07:43 AM
kferderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to fly in Pittsburg PA

Just moved to Cecil, PA. (about 15 miles south of Pittsburg). Does anyone know of any clubs or flying fields in this area?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:02 PM
KevinSheen

Default RE: Where to fly in Pittsburg PA

You are going to have several to choose from. I'll try to find a couple close to you.

The ARCS fly off of Rt 22 south of 60 I think. http://www.markshobby.com/maparcs.gif

Catney's is a field near Imperial. I don't know if Catney is an AMA charter club. I think you can find a map to Catney's on this site: http://www.hovercrew.com

I think there is a club near Export or Eighty-four, maybe the Washington County Club, don't know more about it.

There is also a state park in Washington County that has an open field in it. I don't think it is a chartered club from the AMA but I've heard of several people who fly there. The name isn't coming to me at the moment but I'll try to find it.

If you are looking for a drive, we are north of Pittsburgh, about 30 miles or so along I-79.

Kevin
Old 07-21-2004, 09:20 PM
kferderer

Kevin

Thanks for the information. I will definately check out the sites you mentioned. This should be enough to get started again once all my 'stuff' arrives from the movers. You would not by chance know if there are any events planned for this area in the near future. I am espically interested in jet events. Once again, thanks for the info.

Ken
Old 07-22-2004, 11:35 AM
KevinSheen

The only location I've seen jets fly near Pittsburgh is the Mon Valley Club, located in or near Rostraver Twp. You might have to drive to Dayton to get a big dose of jets in this area.

The Mon Valley club's annual Giant Scale event is on August 14th.

Finleyville Giant Scale Festival is on September 20 this year.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:26 PM
airstik2003

i'm a club member and we have 5 guys that fly jets

p.s. its a nice field
Old 03-05-2005, 06:20 PM
thedak
My Feedback: (21)

I fly at Mingo State Park in Eighty Four, Pa. It's about 15 miles from South Pointe. I like the field in Zelienople but the road to get to it sucks. You almost have to have a truck to get to it. The Saleen won't cut it.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
KevinSheen

ORIGINAL: thedak

I fly at Mingo State Park in Eighty Four, Pa. It's about 15 miles from South Pointe. I like the field in Zelienople but the road to get to it sucks. You almost have to have a truck to get to it. The Saleen won't cut it.
You definately don't need a truck, we have plenty of members who drive various sedans back there, mini vans, etc. I guess if your Saleen has ZERO ground clearance, you might have a tough time. How many models can you stuff in a Saleen?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:24 PM
thedak
My Feedback: (21)

The field @ Cedar Creek Park is very nice. It's about 35 miles from South Pointe. With the seat laid down I can stuff a Funtana 90 in there and my field equipment. I usually take the old lady's Escape. Please, it's (Pittsburgh), don't forget the H. Here is a pic of Mingo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87088.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	239047