Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

IMAA District III Mini Fest -- September 9-11 -- Napoleon, OH

Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

IMAA District III Mini Fest -- September 9-11 -- Napoleon, OH

Old 09-05-2005, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMAA District III Mini Fest -- September 9-11 -- Napoleon, OH

hello

the mini fest is just a few days away . so if you can go to this you better do so. if your not a imaa member sign up at the event .
remember matt chapman airshow no cost to anybody . night fly free . i talked to people from arkansaw oklahoma montana that are coming to this show. this is what the imaa is all about . the hospitality at this event is incredible and im sure if you dont know anybody when you get there you will have alot of friends buy the time the event is over. all i can say is dont miss out on the most fun you could have at any event this year. this will be the best.

bryon

Old 09-05-2005, 06:59 AM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

The beans are four foot tall they better pull something up!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls of all ages!

Time is approaching! Forget about the gas prices!

Get those trailers packed and bring on your great attitudes and get yourself switched into fun mode - Ya baby! Switch into high gear, in just a few days Napoleon OH will be hoppin with all the great folks that make it happen. You and spectators alike will witness some of the best RC model flying ever assembled in one place! No landing fees, Free parking, free night fly, free camping, 2 free Matt Chapman shows (ya Matt, get a fresh coat of wax and an oil change in the Cap of yours and bring-it-on-down!). Many of the local television and radio stations are handling the advertisments. In fact one of the local newspapers forgot to print the correct date and last Sat/Sun more than a 150 people showed up for the show!

(BTW, that has been corrected to next weekend)!

I don't think there will be one person within a 3,000 mile radias that won't know about this show. It's been said many times over "...If you advertise it they will come". Tell a friend, colleague from work, your family and their friends. They will not be disappointed - we promise!

David M.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 AM
RCBOZO

I have just figured out why no one has posted recently! They are already here!!!!!!!!! [sm=biggrin.gif]

If your not coming, I want to send you my condolences. [sm=crying.gif]

This is going to be THE SHOW! [sm=cool.gif]
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I'm going.... Look for me!, I'll be the guy wearing a baseball hat looking at airplanes! Can't miss me!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Charles Thomas
My Feedback: (43)

Anyone from the Columbus OH / Lancaster OH area going to the fly-in have any room for two Solutions? Have two Solutions that need delivered to a individual at the fly-in this weekend. I could give you a little money for gas if you could help us out.

Charles Thomas
740-969-2624

or e-mail me at myrcheli.com
Old 09-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Redwings

Update:
Frank Noll Jr. arrived today with the Great Planes/ Futaba tent and goodies to be given away. Our CD Bob Sadler the “Mouth of the South” is arriving tomorrow to give his once over approval. The Field is getting its finial cut and rolling and things are falling into place so please join us!!!! [&:][8D]
Old 09-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Galloping Ghost
My Feedback: (12)

Update #2:

We had a gentleman pull into Thistledown Field tonight from Big Sky country in Montana!!! He drove over 2200 miles by himself to attend our show!!! [X(]

He brought 7 airplanes with him and plans on staying through the weekend!

So there's no excuse for those living close by (or far away) not to attend.

Dr. Steinhurst has lit the Thistledowns campfire, and following Olympic tradition, vows it will not be extinguished until the Fly-in is over.

As RW pointed out, things are falling into place and this will be the show to attend.

Please don't miss it!!!

www.Thistledownflyers.com

Old 09-08-2005, 07:50 PM
RCBOZO

This is it boys and girls! If you build it they will come is the understatement of the year!!

They are here!
Frank Noll
Chip Hyde
Bob "The Mouth of the South" Salder
Matt Chapman

Tent's, campers, and canopies as far as the eye can see.

Come if you can.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 PM
jdetray

What a treat to watch Frank Noll put his P-51D through its paces! High speed passes at eye level -- wow!

- Jeff
Old 09-08-2005, 11:00 PM
jdetray

Photos of Frank and his nice Mustang are now online, along with other photos from Thursday.

[link=http://www.thistledownflyers.com/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=September%202005%20IMA A%20Mini-Fest]Click here![/link] We'll be adding more photos throughout the weekend.

The pits are filling up fast, but it's not too late to make your way to Napoleon for this weekend's festivities. We will make room for you!

Remember, there is no landing fee, and you get two great FREE shows by World Unlimited Aerobatic Competitor Matt Chapman. (SECRET: If you arrive by noon on Friday, you may get to see Matt make his practice runs in preparation for his Saturday and Sunday performances.)

- Jeff
Old 09-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Guys!

We are having a lot of fun now at the fly in. As many posts are coming in during the show period, those of us fortunate that have traveled and brought our computers with us so that we can keep in touch sharing the information.

Come with a good attitude and a smile on your face. All our members of Thistledown are doing there best to get things setup and running. Dr. Steinhurst is cooking in the kitchen already, Scott and Pete are doing a fantastic job with setting up fences and preparing the site for an entourage of spectators and pilots! We have even lit the fires in the camping ring every night so far and sharing a lot of stories. Too jucy to mention here mind you!?!

David M.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:37 PM
RCBOZO

Is there anyone that is still coming to the show that has any planes for sell?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Redwings

Matt Chapman did a warm up today and it was awsome!!! I have never seen him preform and what a treat. 40 + Pilots here at 6:00PM and we are expecting more tonight yet and many more tomorrow. It has been great.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:51 PM
jdetray

More photos from the Fly-In at Thistledown Field in Napoleon, OH!

[link=http://www.thistledownflyers.com/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=September%202005%20IMA A%20Mini-Fest]Click here for the complete photo gallery.[/link]

We had a great day on Friday, as you'll see in the photos. The night fly was a blast, with everything from 8 oz. foamies to a 10-foot Cub doing touch-and-goes under the stadium lights. There will be more night flying Saturday night, and I happen to know several pilots built foamies on Friday night so they'll have something to fly Saturday night.

And don't forget Matt Chapman will fly noontime shows on both Saturday and Sunday.

This event (including the Matt Chapman shows) is FREE for both pilots and spectators, so join us this weekend!

Directions are on the club web site: [link=http://www.thistledownflyers.com/events/]www.ThistledownFlyers.com[/link]

- Jeff
Old 09-10-2005, 07:22 AM
exeter_acres

I'm packing the car right now.... Just finished my EVP foamie last night!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Dar

Great show. Weather was great. sky was great. Boy do I have some Photos.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Dar

ORIGINAL: Dar

Great show. Weather was great. sky was great. Boy do I have some Photos.[sm=lol.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13134.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	322805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28817.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	322806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55809.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	322807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40112.jpg
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	322808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa32507.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	322809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91321.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	322810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt31735.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	322811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po48752.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	322812  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay44659.jpg
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	322813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs85307.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	322814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt83976.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	322815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cm56770.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	322816  
Old 09-11-2005, 03:54 PM
exeter_acres

I had a ball/.... LOved when the soybeans fell off the jet at the end of the flight!!
Enjoyed listening to the Ornage Yak doing rolling circles... that was the weirdest sound!

and I had a Hoot flying my Katana .40 Profile after dark... tryed to fly my Zagi after dark, but just couldn't see the darn thing![:@]

Great flying.... only a couple minor mishaps all day long... Worth it!

I will be back next year. I just have to build a bigger plane, so I don't have to wait until after 5:00 to fly!
Old 09-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Redwings

Thanks for the photo's and conments on the show. We are so appriciative of all who came the our event. I hope you all return next year.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:36 PM
sealh4
My Feedback: (19)

I have to tell you this is the only way to hold an IMAA event everything free, parking, landing fee 0.00, and airshow. The only thing we payed for was a friday night BBQ dinner and it was only 8.00. The Thisltedown club shows you the greatest hospitality and has the ability to raise money from sponsorship from local businesses. By doing this they do not stick the pilots that make the show with a 10 or 15 dollar landing fee. Remember the pilots make your
show and they are the guests and stars. We all need to learn from this and stop sticking it to the pilots that come to our events. I feel this is one reason the big events are shrinking

Tom Hayden
IMAA President LM 069
Thistledown Flyers Life member
Old 09-11-2005, 10:54 PM
trentmark
My Feedback: (15)

Well I just got home from the Mini-fest. It was one of the best flyins I've ever attended. It was great that there was no landing fee, It was wonderful that you got to see Matt Chapman perform also for free, But the one thing I couldn't get over was how friendly and accomodating all the club members were. You could tell how much they enjoyed putting on this wonderful event for the pilots. It felt like pilot appreciation day!!! I will definitely put this one on my calendar for next year. It was good to see the diversity on the flight line. I saw warbirds, aerobatic planes, profiles, sport planes and 3D planes all up at the same time sharing the airspace in harmony. Miles Reed put on a heck of a show as well with his bipes pulling several "wing checks" in the process. Chip Hyde also put on a show with the Tunnel Vision profiles as well as the 34% Extra during the noontime demo. Andrew Jesky was also showing his talents with the lightning fast rolls in perfect unison to the music. Shaun Saddler was flying his Eurofighter Jet like he hated it by doing full throttle low level passes almost touching the beans on several occasions.

The club also brought in huge lights that made for flying into the night. I finally left at 11:30 on saturday night to try to get a little sleep. Next year I'm bringing my foamy fleet for a little "combat" with Matt Manke.

And just to put the icing on the cake they had Bob "mouth of the south" Sadler to keep us all entertained. It was one heck of a show not to be soon forgotten. My hat is off to Corky,Jeff, and all the guys that put all that work in to such a successful event
Old 09-11-2005, 11:24 PM
jdetray

Thanks for the great comments. We've uploaded a bunch of photos from the event to our web site, with a few more to come. [link=http://www.thistledownflyers.com/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=September%202005%20IMA A%20Mini-Fest]Click here to see them.[/link]

Mark -- The photo of you and your Yak is on page 4.

I think I can speak for everyone in the club by saying it was our pleasure to host you and all the other pilots ands spectators at Thistledown Field for the Mini-Fest. It was great to meet new friends and renew old acquaintances. We hope you'll come fly with us again.

- Jeff (webmaster)
Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 AM
RCBOZO

I can honestly tell you I feel PROUD to be a member of The Thistledown Flyers, and help host such a wonderful event.

This entire weekend has been like a HUGE family reunion, except for the part were you avoid your eccentric aunts and uncles. I was fortunate enough to make some new friends and strengthen friendships with a lot of people this weekend.

I would like to thank everyone who came and enjoyed the event.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:00 AM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Hey Guys and Gals, what a weekend! The weather, hospitality, and all that was involved with this fly-in was absolutely perfect. I can't say enough about the Thistledowns club and all who were involved in putting this event together. You couldn't ask for anything more! Folks if you didn't make it this year, you MUST put it on your calendar for next year. I challenge anyone to find a better fly-in. I don't know of any other place you can go to see some of the best R/C pilots in the world, a full scale airshow by the one and only Matt Chapman, and it not cost you a dime! Thanks again to all of the club members and sponsers that made this event happen. I had a great time and will definitely be back next year!

P.S. Thank you to the members of the Thistledowns club for making me an Honorary Member of your club!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.