Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

2006 Youth Masters

Old 06-28-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Youth Masters

Not sure if this was posted yet but thought I would post anyways. If there is anyone 16 or under, and has thought about going the slightest bit I would highly suggest going. This was my second year going and I had a great time last year and an even better one this year! I placed fourth last year in advanced, and first this year in advanced! !

On the first day Bob Sadler sat down with us pilots and was talking about the whole reason the event was for. He made us take an oath that if our grades fell below the level that our parents say that they can be that we wouldnt be allowed to fly period. No sims, foamies, gassers ect. After that was over he made us act like monkeys in front of everybody so that if we messed up in our flying we wouldnt be as embarrassed! After this we all went up to the patio behind Mr. Pat Hartness's hangar and talked about our sequences and what the judges were looking for. We got to talk with Andrew Jesky about this and also with Wayne Matthews, both very good people. Next Bob Sadler sent us to do an overall inspection of the airplanes we were going to fly - 2 34% Aeroworks Extras for Advanced and a 2.6 m Comp-Arf Extra and Yak for Basic - before the planes were maidened. After this was done we got some windex and paper towels and prepped the two Aeroworks Extras for a little "How-To" session with Stan Stockman from Cutting Edge Graphics on how to apply vinyl graphics to the planes. Next all of the planes were maidened by Animal Jesky and then we were allowed some practice time on the airplanes. We had a problem with one of the Aeroworks Extra motors so the Animal pulled out his 102" QQ Yak for us to practice on that he flew in the XFC only a week before! Now the day of the contest. We flew 3 rounds, 2 sequences per round and then we could fly the fourth round but with only one sequence with one flightline (at the time we ran 2 flight lines on 45s with the runway) in front of everyone. We got to make a choice about the plane we wanted to fly for the final round. We picked beetween Animals QQ Yak and the two Aeroworks Extras. Of course we picked the QQ Yak. We then presented awards and the "Best Sportsman Award" winner and the two First Place finishers got to take a ride in Pat Hartness's Stearman - Man that was a blast!

All in all we all had an excellent time regardless of the scores at the end of the weekend. A big thanks goes out to everyone who helped put on this great event! Also, big ups to QQ for donating a QQ Yak for the best sportsman award! I will probably be there next year to help out and have an even bigger and better time!

-Seth

PS - Next year is gonna be bigger and better! Hope to see ya there!