Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

"IRONMAN" North Alabama Fun Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

"IRONMAN" North Alabama Fun Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
rcuman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "IRONMAN" North Alabama Fun Fly

Hello Everyone!
This is our first annual "IRONMAN" fun-fly and we hope to have it every year.
This is the information we have so far and I will let everyone know when becomes available.

For more information:
http://www.qcrcc.com/qcrcc/default.asp

Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM
rcuman

Default RE: "IRONMAN" North Alabama Fun Fly

IRONMAN I
An RC event not to miss!
Sponsored by Quad Cities Radio Control Club (QCRCC)

May 5, 2007

A DAY OF FAMILY FUN & EXCITEMENT!
Bring the whole family out to the Courtland Municipal Airpark (Formerly Courtland Air Base) for a day long demonstration of R/C Model Aviation fun!

Scale models – Model airplanes painstaking detailed to look exactly like the real ones and fly like them too.

Jet Models – these models have REAL JET TURBINE engines. They sound like real Jets, They Fly like real Jets! They are real Jets!

Helicopters – Now more popular than ever. These copters can out maneuver and out perform almost any thing else that can fly. A spectacular feat of aviation that you must see to believe!

You can fly our plane! – Have you ever wanted to fly an RC plane before? Our club training planes will be on site along with a flight instructor to teach you the basics of RC Flying. Its Safe, Its Fun, And Its Free !

The IRONMAN event could be North Alabama’s Largest Fun Fly! Don’t miss this very exciting day for the whole family!

For more information go to www.qcrcc.com/qcrcc
Old 01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
RexR

Sweet!....

The IRONMAN Fun Fly event will be huge!!!!!

Jets! Turbines! Scale War Birds!!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember going to Cortland Air Base from Huntsville, AL in the late 60s to watch drag races. It was a closed Air Base back then. They haven't converted it to an airport yet? Or did it get reopened as some did only to close under the 80's BRAC?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:40 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sport Pilot,
The airbase is still there, as such, in the form of miles and miles of concrete and asphalt. There are two active runways which are used by the FBO there. A lot of flying goes on there (full scale) since I have heard they have some of the least expensive av-gas around. I have worked with the airport manager there and thru the Chamber of Commerce, and over a period of months have been able to organize a fly-in using some of the runway. There will be an active full scale (EAA) fly in going on on the other side of the airport on the main runway. Direct communications with the on ground full scale "air boss" will be conducted. There is a ton of open area and it is a great place to fly. Hopefully I will be able to have more events here in the future if all goes well with this. Please come up if the weather is good and fly with us. Look for more information soon. If I can personally answer any questions for you or help you in any way, please let me know.
THanks for asking,
Tommy Yates
Old 01-31-2007, 04:41 PM
DocYates

Oh and to answer your question, you are right, it has not been an active airbase since sometime back in the early '60's but I will get all that information for you and post it on our website, for memorabilia purposes.
Tommy
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 PM
JUGFLIER

I would like to say for those looking at this event. I am from North Alabama and not a member of the sponsor club. I have flown at this site many years ago with the decatur club. The runways are loooooonnnnngggg and wiiiiddddeeeee. This is a great place to fly, concrete runways. In world war 2 they trained b-25 bomber crews here so the runways are full of history. I am shure it will be worth coming just to watch.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM
rcuman

UPDATE!!
This is an aerial picture of the airfield at which our fun-fly will be held.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:08 PM
private pilot 2
My Feedback: (1)

I was up on a cross-country in the mid-seventies believe me this is a huge field.Also i went to the Wings Of Autum Air Show in October of 1992 great show and a field with plenty of open space.I plan on being there,Lords will ,Larry...........
Old 03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
rcuman

Great!! I hope we will have good weather. We are all excited about this event.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
DocYates

We look forward to having you Larry, bring some friends and come on down.
Tommy
Old 05-01-2007, 07:37 AM
rcuman

This is an update of most of the events happening at the Ironman Funfly in Courtland, Alabama on May 5th. The city is expecting 1500+ person turnout for this event.

The activities are as follows:
1. Parachute demo with smoke.
2. Young eagle flights
3. Small warbird show
4. Airplane rides
5. Car show with some really nice prizes
6. Large Remote control fly-in with actual jets, helicopters, giant scale airplanes and many other R/C aircraft.
7. The local Fire department will be selling food as a fund raiser.
8. Wings program
9. Poker run and here are the rules you must start at Courtland where you will get your first card and pay your $10.00 you can then proceed to Decatur (DCU), Muscle Shoals (MSL) and Russellville(M22) in any order and draw a card then fly back to Courtland (9A4) for your final card. Poker run starts at 8am or anytime after that, although you must be back to Courtland by noon.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:19 AM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Tommy, how will the r/c flying be handled? I noticed a "noon scale hour by cd approval". When will people be flying r/c?

Sounds like a promising event!

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM
DocYates

Rick,
The event if open for all flying. We have 800' of tarmac cordoned off for the R/C event. The noon scale hour was set aside so that if there are some large scale planes which are there and wish to have the airspace to themselves we will let them fly. We also have some turbine demonstrations planned for noon as well. If there is no interest in it, then everyone is free to fly during this time, this was set aside and will be discussed at the pilot's breifing in the morning. Pretty much a no stress fly-in. Fly what you bring type of environment. There is a young eagles flight to be there as well so anyone from 7-17 years old get to fly in the full scale planes for free.

We are hoping for a good turnout, but there are other events going on this weekend so I know that those who will be there will enjoy it.

There will be full scale planes in the vicinity, on the other side of the airport, but we have NOTAMS on the area and will be constantly in communication with the ground director.
Come out and join us, would love to have you.
Tommy
This originally started out as an R/C fly-in, but the community got behind it and created a community event, so now the airport is hosting a car show at the same time. An EAA fly-in at the same time. A parachute exhibition at the same time. And the local fire department is handling the refreshments. They want to make it a yearly event. The airbase is huge and we have 1/3 of it to our selves. I said 800' runway, but in reality it is much more than that and surrounded by a large open complex which is miles in width. the weather looks good for the event with winds 5-8 and only a 30% chance of a passing storm.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:02 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks, Tommy. I'm going to come if at all possible. Sounds like a unique event.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:07 PM
rcuman

THE EVENT IS TOMMORROW!!!
Saturday May 5th
Come on down, up, or over and fly em like you never flew them before!!!
Bring the whole family!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 07:14 PM
traxxboy

I just got back. They had a full scale fly in and a car show. Two guys even did a little skydiving out over the airport. There was turbines warbirds and a pretty good 3D pilot there.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:05 PM
rcuman

We had a blast. I have posted pictures here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...2007&cobrand=1
and here
http://www.qcrcc.com/qcrcc/default.asp
You have to click on forums then QCRCC Hobby Talk.