Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Who's Going To the Joe Nall?

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Who's Going To the Joe Nall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:10 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's Going To the Joe Nall?

Originally posted by Fly4Fun2
Man - we were REALLY close.....I was in the Big Red Tent - 10X20. Corky was right behind me. I had the Edge done in Kirby Chambliss scheme and a beat up Cub.

We had the guys from Tulsa w/ the 6 engine bombers next to us and Andrew Jesky and family!

I kept looking for your Extra, but understand now why I did not see it.
I know exactly where you were now! Really close! If you saw a big green and white Decathlon in a tent, that was my tent. We were right next to the DSP guys, and an older gentleman that setup a small table and was selling the Honda generator, some small engines, frequency scanner, etc. I had a green/white/gold Bobcat turbine on the flight line for a while until I gave up some parts on it for the blue Euro Sport that you probably saw flying every day, all day long. My Extra was back at my motor home with a gaping hole in the side

Wish I knew that was you there, I would have stopped by to say hello.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

That's too funny - I actually talked with either you or one of your buddys about the Decathelon. That was one georgous airplane. No one could tell me who's plans it came from. Any idea.

I know I talked to you briefly about your Bobcat. I just didn't put it all together. Oh well - next year!

I think for big events, we all need to order RCUniverse name tags to wear around!!!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:58 AM
sfaust

I think for big events, we all need to order RCUniverse name tags to wear around!!!
Better yet, we should get free RCU hats. Free advertising and identification

The Decathlon was built from an S2 Models kit. I couldn't remember while there, and I was asked a couple times about it. No doubt you were one of them. When I got home, I found the manual. I don't think the kit is still available. I believe Cactus Aviation or Aircraft International has a kit of the same size. It was available as a ready to cover, but they discontinued it in RTC form. I can track it down if you want more info on it.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:07 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I did last year was have an airbrush artist draw my airplane on the back of a shirt with my name on the front. I didn't go to the Nall show but it would have helped people reconize me if I did. Total cost was only about $25.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:54 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by WreckRman2
One thing I did last year was have an airbrush artist draw my airplane on the back of a shirt with my name on the front. I didn't go to the Nall show but it would have helped people reconize me if I did. Total cost was only about $25.
When I went to the IMAA rally in Ohio two years ago, they used my airplane to make the official event logo. My airplane was on everyones shirt , so I guess that wouldn't help identify me at all
Old 05-21-2003, 10:15 PM
BrianMorris

I glad to see some of you actually hooked up.
I was wondering how the vendor section was.What could you buy?
I already told my boss I am taking my vacation next year to go.
It can't come soon enough.
THANKS for all the pictures guys !!!!!!
Brian
Old 05-22-2003, 03:31 AM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

Regarding the vendors:

Aircraft Intl , Plane Plus , SWB , Radical Rc , Modellbau USA , TNT , Ohio , Zurich Sunglasses , I4C Prods. , Jason Shulman , and others I can't remenber.

epc.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:12 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Madison, Giant Scale Planes, RC Trayman, Ohio Model Planes, B & B, Fox, Fasteners, RC Hobbies, etc...
Old 05-22-2003, 11:49 AM
sfaust

Propwash/SKS...and nobody mentioned poor old Wayne Matthews at Sew Busy with all the Joe Nall logo hats and shirts! I don't think I ever saw him without 5 people standing around with money in hand. Surely he wasn't missed
Old 05-22-2003, 12:19 PM
mikmarsh
My Feedback: (31)

Default more vendors

How about Ray Light with his landing gear. Vel Tye, all kinds of velcro. APC props.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:58 PM
BrianMorris

I showed the guys at work the pictures you took.They could not believe it!I too,am blown away at the turn-out!All of those giants in one place.
Were the things that the vendors were selling more or less the same as regular prices?
How was the night flying!!??? I have never seen this.I have talked about it, but decide it wasn't in my best interests.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:37 AM
Fly4Fun2

Vendors were regular prices or better. I got a wing tube for a 40% Carden Edge for $20 (oddly enough - I was in need of a new one )

The night flying was great. A couple of guys had GWS Cubs with LEDs on them - worked great and I am setting one up now for the backyard. Several guys had the light ropes on profiles, trainers, sticks, or old timers. I put glow sticks on a 1/4 Scale cub and flew it - could hardly see it so I landed and became a spectator! A couple of people flew with no lights at ALL!!!! It was almost a full moon and a couple of night was very bright out there. There were some guys who used a very bright spotlight to see the plane. There was even a helicopter!! I went to bed around 10:30 - 11:00 and there were 5 planes still in the air some nights!
Glad you enjoyed the photos. Look for the special on Discovery Wings Channel in September.

Keith
Old 05-23-2003, 01:36 AM
sfaust

Last year, there was a few of us flying small electrics using flash lights. We had a sequence that needed to be flown. Take off, do a touch and go off the top of the JR tent, then through the gazebo, thru the golf cart, then land. I never had some much fun or laughed so hard. Surprisingly enough, those little electrics took quite a beating, but held up well enough to complete several attempts.

I've flown glow planes with spotlights, but my spotter kept turning the light off to keep things interesting I prefer the glow wire with wing tip/tail tip lights. Easy to see, and you can fly just like it was daylight. This year, I am going to use that reflective safety tape on my .40 trainer, and fly with a flashlight or spotlight. It should be very visible in the air.

While sitting around the campfire at Joe Nall, Mark Froehn(sp?) from Germany was talking about night turbine flying again. If you saw a blue Euro Sport that seemed to be flying non stop, that was Mark. Those that were there last year (or was it two years ago) might remember hearing the sound a turbine jet around midnight a couple evenings. That was also Mark. He asked where the local Radio Shack was. We gave him an extra beer instead...
Old 05-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Fly4Fun2

Default Night turbine Flying

I asked about the night turbine flying. Seems the AMA got wind of the kangaroos from a couple of years ago and past a 100 MPH speed limit for night flying.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:13 AM
Bulldogflyer
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

FLY4FUN,thats my T-34 in your pics.Makes me feel good that someone thought it looked good enough to take a picture of.Is that edge yours and was it the same one that was at the show?I took a bunch of pics of it,couldnt believe the airbrush work!
Old 05-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Fly4Fun2

Hey Bulldogflyer.....The T-34 looked really nice. You did a great job.

The Edge is mine - thanks for the compliments on it. I did all the airbrush work on it. Had never touched an airbrush before January of this year. I took an 8 class airbrush course and then did the Edge.

Keith
Old 05-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Fly4Fun2

Hey Bulldogflyer.....The T-34 looked really nice. You did a great job.

The Edge is mine - thanks for the compliments on it. I did all the airbrush work on it. Had never touched an airbrush before January of this year. I took an 8 class airbrush course and then did the Edge.

Keith
Old 05-26-2003, 04:06 PM
sfaust

Default Re: Night turbine Flying

I asked about the night turbine flying. Seems the AMA got wind of the kangaroos from a couple of years ago and past a 100 MPH speed limit for night flying.
I believe my turbine waiver states that night flying of turbine engine aircraft is not allowed at all. The 100mph limit probably applies to prop/elec rather than turbines.

Damn Fly4Fun2, you were close. As a matter of fact, if you check your photo dscn0268 on page two of your photos, the fiberclassics Extra behind yours is Ray LaBonte, one of the guys that shared a ride with me, and the tent on the flight line. The green wing tip next to it is my Decathlon, which you also have in photo dscn0269 as well as a couple others, and my Bobcat in dscn0312.

I remember seeing your Edge! Nice artwork for a first time effort. Wish I had the skills to do some airbrush work. Never tried, but I think I would like it. I liked your idea of pealing away to show the engine. Nice touch. The work in your airbrush class paid off well.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:37 PM
sfaust

Fly4Fun2, Our trailer is the one on the right edge. Is yours the fourth from the right just past the pop-up thats down? The Blue/white extra in front is Petes airplane, a friend that rode down with me, and my Decathlon is the one right behind it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	81567_14088.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	41978