Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Joe Nall 2010

Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Nall 2010

Hi All.
I'm thinking about attending the 2010 Joe Nall. I've never been before, the only information I have is what I've learned from the forums. I underststand it will last several days, are some days better than others? I'm thinking about renting a large motor home and driving. (I live in Alabama) Do they have hookups, do I need to bring a generator? If I decided NOT to bring the motor home, is there a nice place close by to stay? If we stayed in the motorhome (or for that matter, if we stay in a hotel) How far in advance should we book the trip?

Anything I'm forgetting?
Thanks,
Phil Griffin
[email protected]
Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Joe Nall 2010

Hi Phil,

Ken Isaac and I covered Joe Nall for the first time this year. There are plenty of places to park an RV. We stayed in a hotel but it was about 1/2 hr away in Greenville. I'm sure there are closer places, but we needed High-Speed internet access.

The show "officially" runs Thurs-Sun, but we found that a lot of people started showing up on Monday, and many people left Friday night or Saturday morning, so I would say that Thursday and Friday are the best days - of course, if you plan to FLY, you might prefer the weekend when there are less pilots.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to our coverage with lots of great pics and videos.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1133

One final word... It's DEFINITELY worth seeing!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
rcchickadee

Sounds like a little bit of RC Heaven! When is the Joe Nall 2010 event??
Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.joenall.com/

May 9-15, 2010

Ken
Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
rcchickadee

Thank you! I hope to get a chance to go! Gotta work the schedule for the days off!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:46 AM
kasey9

You can also go to our website for information. www.joenall.com. This year the event is going to run Saturday to Saturday. It is always to week of Mothers day. We do not have hook up. We do have to nice bath houses on site. We will again be running 4 flight lines so there will be time for every one to fly. Do not forget the BBQ on Friday night, it is second to none. If you have any futher questions please feeel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Laura McKinney
Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Scott1017

New Joe Nall site is up and running.
[link=http://www.joenall.com]Joe Nall site[/link]
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
MinnFlyer

Looking forward to it!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Definitely. Already have it marked out on the calendar!!!

Ken
Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Tango Juliet

I've already started making arrangements to have that week off this year, and intend to be there the entire week. I'm planning on having a new camera plane to shoot aerials with, as well as shooting lots of stills from the ground.

If you don't require too many creature comforts, on-site camping is the way to go. A new bath house is being built near the hanger this winter next to the older one. Check the website, there are some changes to the fees for this year.

I'm counting down the days . Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out some of my photos from 2009 at: www.tangojulietphotography.com
Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Shawnusa
My Feedback: (3)

I'm considering going myself as a first timer. I have one IMAA legal plane and a few small Electrics and electric heli's.

The fees for registration. Is it a one time cost then 5 dollars a day entry or Registation and entry each day? I'm assuming the first but was not very clear on there pricing chart.

So if I registered for the full week I'm looking at 120.00 for Camping and 30.00 Registration and another 40.00 for daily access fees. For a grand total of 190.00.

Just want to clear the cost up prior to registering.

Thanks,

MadDawg
Old 01-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Tango Juliet

I think the way I figured it, it'll cost me $200 for pre-registration, daily attendance, 8 nights camping, and one adult BBQ dinner ticket. You'll save a little by pre-registering. I'm not surprised by the change in fees this year. I know they don't want to discourage anyone from attending, but they had to find a way to limit the number of campers in my opinion. This event has gotten monumental in size and popularity. So many people were showing up with campers, tents, and travel trailers, there was hardly any room left to move. I'm not complaining, merely an observation on my part.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 AM
superbee-rc

ORIGINAL: Shawnusa

I'm considering going myself as a first timer. I have one IMAA legal plane and a few small Electrics and electric heli's.

The fees for registration. Is it a one time cost then 5 dollars a day entry or Registation and entry each day? I'm assuming the first but was not very clear on there pricing chart.

So if I registered for the full week I'm looking at 120.00 for Camping and 30.00 Registration and another 40.00 for daily access fees. For a grand total of 190.00.

Just want to clear the cost up prior to registering.

Thanks,

MadDawg

if your show up saturday it wiil be 120 for camping and 55 for pilot registration = $175.00
Old 01-27-2010, 12:21 AM
superbee-rc

ORIGINAL: Tango Juliet

I think the way I figured it, it'll cost me $200 for pre-registration, daily attendance, 8 nights camping, and one adult BBQ dinner ticket. You'll save a little by pre-registering. I'm not surprised by the change in fees this year. I know they don't want to discourage anyone from attending, but they had to find a way to limit the number of campers in my opinion. This event has gotten monumental in size and popularity. So many people were showing up with campers, tents, and travel trailers, there was hardly any room left to move. I'm not complaining, merely an observation on my part.

200 would be correct..
Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 AM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

Like the first post, I'm also planning on attending this year for the first time and would like to bring a motor home. My question, is how close can you camp to the flight line? Wondering if it's a long walk, will be difficult to get the planes down there and back. Any other recommended items to bring as well?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
MinnFlyer

It depends on how close your space is. There are some campers just a few feet away from the flightline, while others are quite a walk away
Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Tango Juliet

If you go to the "Joe Nall" website, look for the Aerial Images link on the home page. You'll see the "hill" near the Main Flight Line where most of the bigger motor homes set up camp. I'd say it depends on your age and physical ability as to whether or not the walk is too long. Just behind the fence at the Main Flight Line is where most of the guys set up canopy type tents to use as a "Pits" shelter. You're not allowed to camp right next to the flight line. There is such a sense of family and community that most leave their big planes under their canopies even at night, rather than dragging them up and down the hill.

Recommended items:

Sunscreen
Comfortable shoes
Wide brim hat
Comfortable lawn chair(s)
[8D]

If you're bringing a motor home then you probably have all the other ancilliary items needed when camping. The only other thing you need to bring is a friendly attitude and a smile . "Joe Nall" is like a big family reunion with relatives you didn't even know you had.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
mwunsworth

Thanks for the good info. I was at the Joe Nall website and they talk about letting campers down the "hill" at 12 noon on the Saturday opening. I did look at the airials and was trying to determine what is the hill. I do see a road running through. Is the hill between the road and the flight line? Looks like campers are parked on both sides of the road and all through the facility.

I'm really looking forward to going.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Take a look at our coverage of Joe Nall last year. We have a drive through of the site, plus some pictures from the observation tower, that will give you a good idea of the size and layout of the site. If you're worried about having to drive to the flight line they have golf carts for rent at the event. We rented one for doing the coverage and we couldn't have done it without it. That place is HUGE!!!!

Ken
Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Tango Juliet

ORIGINAL: mwunsworth

Is the hill between the road and the flight line? Looks like campers are parked on both sides of the road and all through the facility.

I'm really looking forward to going.
Yes the top of the hill starts at the entrance. You'll see in the images that there is kind of a circular pattern of parking where the bigger campers are. That's the hill. This year, there won't be any campers between the road and the lake like you'll see in those images, but you can camp along the edge of the lake below the hangar, or around the far side of the lake, or all the way down at the 3D flight line if that's the type of flying you do (one word of caution: The 3D line is more of a "Wild Party" atmosphere, not bad just not too quiet ). I tent camped last year and will again this year, but I prefer to be up near the Hangar or on the lower side of the hill near the "facilities".
Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
mwunsworth

Thanks a lot guys for all of the input. I'm really getting excited about going. Been wanting to do this for several years now. It's about a 700 mile one way trip from Michigan so want to make sure I consider everything before heading on down.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
MinnFlyer

Gee, he's got a camper... Maybe I should ride down with him!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
mwunsworth

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Gee, he's got a camper... Maybe I should ride down with him!
Maybe I'll offer up some tickets to ride.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM
MinnFlyer

LOL, wish I could, but I'm flying down to Florida, and then I'm driving my dad up to MN for the summer with a stop at Joe Nall along the way
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
mwunsworth

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Take a look at our coverage of Joe Nall last year. We have a drive through of the site, plus some pictures from the observation tower, that will give you a good idea of the size and layout of the site. If you're worried about having to drive to the flight line they have golf carts for rent at the event. We rented one for doing the coverage and we couldn't have done it without it. That place is HUGE!!!!

Ken
I found the drivethrough video from last year. I get the layout now. I didn't realize the 3D guys are all the way in the back. I fly mostly scale so will plan on the main flight line, plus my heavy party days are over. I appreciate a good nights sleep.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.