RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/)
-   -   NW Hobby Expo Feb 3rd-5th, 2006 Puyallup Washington (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/3812278-nw-hobby-expo-feb-3rd-5th-2006-puyallup-washington.html)

hobbygroup 01-23-2006 02:16 AM

NW Hobby Expo Feb 3rd-5th, 2006 Puyallup Washington

The NW Hobby Expo is Back Feb 3rd-5th 2006 at the Western Washington Fairgrounds Puyallup Washington (Near Tacoma)

for more information visit www.nwhobbyexpo.com

Flyfalcons 02-01-2006 09:35 AM

RE: NW Hobby Expo Feb 3rd-5th, 2006 Puyallup Washington

I'll be there, looking for deals and helping at the 3DFoamy booth. Hope to see a bunch of you guys there.

crownvic 02-01-2006 11:51 AM

What time does it open on friday?

8178 02-01-2006 05:07 PM

Do think it will rain for the show?

Kevgofly 02-06-2006 11:32 AM

I was there Friday and Saturday. Had a pretty good time, picked up some electric stuff. Couple of observations, call it constructive critisism if you will:

I really like seminars, gives you a reason to get off your feet for a 1/2 hour or so, maybe learn something new, or just see other aspects of the hobby. That being said, I didn't attend any seminars at Puyallup because I didn't know about them. This was largely my fault, I didn't look at the web site prior to the show, but when I got home looked at it and they were clearly there. Some signs placed at the show would help that, maybe and info booth or flyer as you come through the gate detailing what is avaliable. Also, if you already have the floor space set asside for forums, you could have lots of them and it wouldn't cost anything to the promoter. For example, a jet discussion, IMAC, pattern, scale, indoor, AMA..... you get the idea. Just a forum for a knowledgable representative to tell interested parties what their thing is all about.

The exhibators seemed to be dominated by electric stuff. I like electrics, so that's not horrible, but I'd like to see other things there as well. I know this is all up to the individual distributors to decide if the NW is worth their time to come out for it so there's probably not a lot that can be done about it.

Static display- I like looking at others work, but I realize that's giving up floor space that could bring an income. Not sure how many people are drawn to the show by the static display, but I imagine it could be a lot if the static section where large and worth looking at. So while your giving up money for the floor space, it may be Making money in attendance. I heard several people say the show was not as good as previous years, and when asked why they said so and so isn't here (distributors and manufacturers) and almost all said even the statics display is almost empty. So I'd say boost the static area (if you can afford the space) by offering awards only, no cash, in lots of categories, best monokote, best paint.... along with all the usual stuff, and keep it "peoples choice". I went throught the static area several times this year and never saw how the awards were being voted on, although I heard it was peoples choice.

Attendance seemed low this year, but I think there are lots of factors that played into that, weather, super bowl and a lot of people feel like it wasn't good enough last year to justify coming back this year in less than ideal conditions. It would be interesting to see how many people came for only one day and how many were multi day attendees. I think it's important to encourage multi day attendance to get the numbers through the door that is needed to encourage more manufacturers and distributors. This would take some thought, but is doable. The highly desirable events (seminars again like the CD rom winding class) and demos might help here.

I don't mind Puyallup, but I heard many say a change of venues to Tacoma or Seattle may be a plus, not sure thsi is even feasible without a lot of growth.

Don't mean to come across critical, just trying to offer suggestions. I like having a show in the NW and would like to see it succesful and grow for years to come.

Kev

Time Pilot 02-06-2006 03:31 PM

I attended Saturday, my first NW Expo.

Agreed on the seminars. But what's worse is that I had signed up for one of the seminars online and it took me a while to find it once I got there.

I'm glad I went. I got to see what G3 looks like up close and personal, saw the new GWS brushless motors and speed controls, bought some foam from Depron USA, etc, etc. Don't know if I'd go again next year, though.

ThrottleJockey 02-07-2006 01:34 PM

Kev you nailed it. It was bit of a disapointment. I think we need a new promoter.

3DFanatic 02-07-2006 07:33 PM

Yeah the turnout was kinda low... I was working at the 3D Foamy booth and it was sloooow. Sold a lot of stuff but I expected more people.