RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/)
-   -   Who's Going To the Joe Nall? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/680292-whos-going-joe-nall.html)

propstrike 04-08-2003 02:46 PM

Who's Going To the Joe Nall?

Who's traveling to Joe Nall (May 14th - 17th)? Where from?

toyking23 04-08-2003 03:36 PM

I go to watch in amazement every year, luckily only a 2 hour drive for me from North Carolina.

sfaust 04-08-2003 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I go every year. Leaving from Boston MA, about 16 hours in the motor home, and will stay there for 10 days of RC flying bliss. No bills, just thrills. No family, no taking out the trash, no walking the dog, just flying, socializing, and relaxing and hanging out with friends! Can't wait.....maybe I'll leave tomorrow :D

Here is a photo from last year. Care to guess how early I arrived based on the number of trailers that were there before me???

Fly4Fun2 04-09-2003 02:29 PM

I'm going

I'm going. Bringing the RV, new 40% Edge 540 (Kirby Chambliss scheme), 1/4 scale Cub (junker, but it is a blast to fly), and maybe a new 4 meter Duo Discus sailplane with Self-launching system.

OK - I'll bite - you got there a week before the show starts on the Wednesday - right??? I am coming the Sunday before it starts....think I can still get a good spot?

huddle 04-09-2003 06:22 PM

Have been going since they moved to the new site.

See you all there!

Thanks Tim

propstrike 04-10-2003 12:14 AM

I generally stay at the Microtel back near the old flying site. I'll be showing up on Wednesday this year. I told my new boss that I would be on vacation that week. I didn't ask. I just informed him. I am going to get the tent set up, walk the flight line, and be as sorry as I can possibly be for the next 4 days!!!!! If it rains, I guess I'll just have to be wet.

I can already smell the grill a goin and the glo fuel burnin.

BenWillis 04-10-2003 06:35 PM

I'll be there. Although Im not sure which days yet!!! Only a 45min drive for me :D

Ben in SC

dennis1943 04-10-2003 10:16 PM

i will be there

looking foreward to seeing the people at my old club the SKYKNIGHTS, hello pat and all the gang.

dennis w. martin sr
moore
s.c.

now cross s.c. :D

shill 04-11-2003 01:44 AM

My brother and I will be there along with a flying buddy also.
This will be my second year going last year was the first.
It is a Great big gathering of people and airplanes it is a grrrrrrreat time for all in attendance just look for the plane in my avitar or some coverd like it also. Coming from Arlington, Texas

Steve Hill

mikmarsh 04-15-2003 02:34 AM

two of us from S.C. ( Los Angeles) just to watch and enjoy. Fourth year for us.

evan-RCU 04-17-2003 08:01 PM

Yes Sir!!! thursday and friday, floats and night flying :) :) :)

sfaust 04-18-2003 12:42 AM

Originally posted by evan
Yes Sir!!! thursday and friday, floats and night flying :) :) :)
Just in case....Did you get the word on the limited channels that will be used for float flying? I think there are only two or three channels that can be used, in the 20's somewhere.

evan-RCU 04-18-2003 11:23 AM

Yes, and they're restricting size too.

ROGER RUSSELL 04-18-2003 11:48 AM

Be there on Wednesday..

leaving Jacksonville, Illinois on Tuesday, traveling to Corbin KY, KOA, then onto Joe Nall, staying in my van on the grounds. Hopefully camped next to sfaust because he said he might drop a few dogs and burgers on the ground and I could fight his dog for them. (maybe a cold one, too!) :D
Hi Stephen, 1 month from now we should have planes in the air at JN.
RORO

sfaust 04-18-2003 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Evan,

I didn't hear about any restrictions on size. Is that just for float planes, or for all aircraft. What is the limit, do you know?

RORO,

I already parked some dogs in the freezer that are specially marked just to be dropped to the ground (of course I'll put it in a bun first, with choosen relishes). There will be three of us travling down in the RV. We will leave on Friday the week before, and will make it a one day trip (16 hours driving). With three of us swapping driving duties, and the ammenities available while on the road in an RV, it should be an easy drive.

Last year, they wouldn't let us keep any spots open, as it was first come first serve. However, they do let us save room for a vehicle, so there should be room for you to park close by. I've got 120V for charging etc if you need it.

Can't wait. I've got some new airplanes to take this year, and hope to get in the maiden flights before hand so I can take them. I'm really hoping to have this one done so I can take it.

Fly4Fun2 04-18-2003 02:16 PM

Hey Steven -

I thought that one WAS done!!!!

Restrictions on the float planes are that they have to be IMAA legal this year. Last year, you could fly anything on floats and there were a few .40 size planes. This year - it is big birds only.

Keith

propstrike 04-18-2003 03:07 PM

Joe Nall

SFAUST, Beautiful airplane. Love that prop.

This year I am leaving my wife behind, and taking 9 of my good buddies to Joe Nall with me. Most have never been. Look for the tent with the sign that says "Sorry Dogs Flying Club."

Hey, if everyone else brings 9 friends who have never been there before, image how big this years show will be.

I love it, I love it, I love it.

ROGER RUSSELL 04-18-2003 03:13 PM

Thanks Steve....

will be there on Wednesday, (early afternoon??) if there is a spot there is, if not I will find another.
How good is your throwing arm? :D
Can throw the dog and SUDS that far!!! :cool:
See you then.
Roger

corcguy 04-18-2003 03:24 PM

Wife and I driving from Denver and in-laws coming up from Tampa. I am the only flyer but I know my brother-in-law will love it as he is a WWII AAF vet with a lot of hours in a lot of aircraft.

This will be our first year and I'm really looking forward to it.
Hope the weather is good. We seem to be lucky and take our Colorado sunshine along wit us on our trips.

Dick L.

sfaust 04-18-2003 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Fly4Fun2
Hey Steven - I thought that one WAS done!!!!
I cheated. It was done enough for the photo for the cover on Highflight, but things were left for later. one elevator was not covered, since I wanted to re-cover both wing and stab panels. The canisters are not done since I needed to weld the headers, and I didn't want to go outside in the cold and do that. So I left it for spring. Aside from that I have some wing graphics, and some final progarmming to do. The only hold up is the headers and exhaust canisters.

You are right, I forgot about the IMAA limit which was waived in the past.

We should have find a spot to meet and put faces with names while done there.

evan-RCU 04-18-2003 04:13 PM

yes the float planes have to be IMAA size this year, personally I think that the new rules are to keep people from flying float planes and last year I was one of very few who did. I hope they don't do the same rule for night flying, Yuri and I were the only ones of legal size last year

DocYates 04-18-2003 04:37 PM

This is my first trip to JN and am looking forward to it. Are there any times for flying any size aircraft, or are you limited to IMAA size all week?
Tommy
BTW we will be arriving on late Wednesday nite, what are the chances we will find a spot for the camper when we get there?

BrianMorris 04-19-2003 02:30 AM

Is there a website for information on this show?

relax1 04-19-2003 12:05 PM

Joe Nall Event.

I"m traveling from Tampa Fl . Is a 600 mile trip but well worth it.

Site info: www.joenall.com

BrianMorris 04-19-2003 12:53 PM

Thanks relax1,
We will be coming from Jupiter,FL
It sure would be easy if we could fly there.I'll check and see the closest local to land.
B