Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

From Lekkie to smoke, noise and fury.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Lekkie to smoke, noise and fury.

And that wonderful, diesel aroma.

My activities had been curtailed for a few years and it was too much temptation to not get a simple electric plane to fly at the local, mini-park. The first was the Parkzone Sukhoi, full four channel and outrageously small at a 15 inch wingspan and a whopping, one ounce weight. However, it's no 3D and in fact, is underpowered. A newer, more colourful version, is supposed to be much better. Then came the Blade MSR, a truly amazing little helicopter that is rock solid stable and has a functioning tail rotor. It too weighs a full, one ounce.

That was fun and led me to this airplane, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11243 my all time favourite,,, I have an OS .108 version that's been in the works for some 20 years. It's just too dang big for my shop and I got fed up trying to haul it out of the rafters to work on it. A very early version, a kit by Sterling, flew for over 15 years. It was fixed gear and flew on a Webra .61 Blackhead. Through all of this, I always wished for a 1/2A version. Well, it's here but while flying it, it was nice but left me very unsatisfied. No smoke, noise and fury. It's sized perfectly though, for a dieselized, Norvel .074. The Vendor also has some neat, self contained retracts that look perfect.

I also got me another favourite airplane, the Yak 54. This one, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=13451 will be taking a recent, diesel project that can be seen here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkJKi...layer_embedded

Both aircraft have three bladed props that are WAY oversized from what we normally deal with. The Spit's three blader is 11" x 3 and the Yak is 8 x 4. What are the chances that a dieselized, Norvel .06 or .074 will handle that much prop? The props provided are less your typical, electric prop, they're far heavier at the hub and the undercamber is minimized. Next up on YouTube will be the .06 spinning the Yak's three bladed, 8 x 4. [X(]
Old 11-13-2010, 09:43 PM
AndyW

Default RE: From Lekkie to smoke, noise and fury.

The Yak weighs only 14 ounces without the battery. Some calcs shows that the engine, tank and a 250 mAh Nimh will only add an extra ounce to that, so it'll be lighter than the Lekkie version. Plus, my Thrust/HP calculator says that the 7 x 3.5 at 13.5K puts out 20 ounces of static thrust. Should be able to hover, no?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've flown a throttled PAW 80 TBR with an 8x4 prop. That was in grad school and I didn't have a tach then, but it hauled an Ace Whizard around very smartly and was very quiet with a few inches of tubing on the collector ring's exhaust stub. A Norvel .06 or .074 with a diesel head should have no problem with a two bladed 8x4 and might turn a three bladed prop and generate flyable thrust. I want to see that video of a 3 bladed 11/3 on an .06/.074, though... you might be turning it at scale rpm
Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 AM
AndyW

Well, I ran that 8 x 6, three blader today. No video because while the .06 turned the prop with not much complaint after adjustments, throttling went out the window and I couldn't get it back. This despite using a throttle barrel that was only about 3/32" bore. I didn't tach that one because I realized that I misread the prop size on the prop that came with the airplane. So I went with a GWS, 8 x 4 three blader. That one tached out at 7.5K and did sound very scale,,, I don't know how that compares to electric motivation or to the full size. But without good throttling, not much point.

As you correctly state, a two blade, 8 x 4 is the limit, looks like, both the .06 and .074 Norvels turn them nicely while retaining good throttling. I do have an 8 x 3, MA, G/F prop made for .15, I think it is, combat. MA also makes three bladers down to 5" but I won't bother. I was just curious as to how well a diesel might turn an electric prop.

In any case, it was fun trying.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My PAW 06 lost a lot of power switching from a 7x4 to an 8x4. But if I'd had one at the time, I think the MA 8x3 would have been a great prop for it. I think you'd probably get more vertical with that than with anything else.

You didn't really mean that an engine, fuel tank and battery could come to one ounce, all together, did you? More like three. So that's 17 oz...still pretty good.

Love the sound of your converted AP. I agree that while electric is convenient, I need the excitement of an engine winding up. Seems like the next logical step from electric is to just stay home and use the simulator.

Jim
Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,

Unless I misread it, Andy's alternative setup only added an ounce over the original voltswagen. Of course, the weight of the electric system was removed to replace it with the heavenly aromatic alternative...

Andy? Comments?

BTW, one of the things I like about diesels is that you have NO need to rely on batteries... Glow engines need to heat the glowplug. Spark engines have the coil to charge and - hopefully - discharge through the plug gap at the appointed time. Diesels attack the problem an entirely different way. Hooray!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 PM
AndyW

Hi Jim,

Well, the electric motor and it's controller and that heavy duty wiring and plug are also eliminated when converting so a rough calc gave me the figures I quoted. AND, of course, I erred on the side of,,,, I really want to try this and need to justify the effort,,, [:@]

I'm going to try the 8 x 3 and will also trim it to resemble an APC, somewhat.

I have a really neat, Lekkie Spit and it swings an exact scale, three blade prop. It's flying characteristics are quite different, very pleasing and scale like. BUT, at any distance, when you punch the throttle, it just accelerates and climbs. It feels like it hit a thermal and that's when you really notice that there is something horribly wrong. Even a glow, high pitched whine is preferable to,,,, nothing. Diesel will make it all right again.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 PM
AndyW

Lou,

That's right and when you see how bulky the controller and wiring is, a neat little fuel tank and plumbing looks downright tidy.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Andy, I was sure I posted a response, but it doesn't show up now.

Anyway, your little Spit will be fantastic with the diesel. There's just no substitute for a noisy IC engine, especially on a warbird. My PAW 40 on my VK Nieuport doesn't sound like a LeRhone, but really adds to the ambience. It just wouldn't generate the same excitement with an electric. Looking forward to seeing your conversion.

Jim
Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, this is an audio as well as a visual hobby and sometimes listening to your Mum's hairdryer whizzing around just doesn't seem manly enough!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:25 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And as many have said before-fuel-flip-go- simple cheers matrin