Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

stronger cox .010 cranks for diesel conversion.

Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

stronger cox .010 cranks for diesel conversion.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: stronger cox .010 cranks for diesel conversion.

Normally one has to make a number of other things before they start to make crankshafts. One has to get a feel for machining different metals and build up their skill level to some extent. But there are lots of things one can make to fix things.

But I am amazed at the things I wound up making around the home. I remember one of my first projects when I got in my milling machine was to make new offset hinges for or screen door. They were really weird hinges on the screen door, and everyone wanted to sell only the entire door assembly, no parts. The new hinges I made have held up for almost 16 years now. Whereas the originals wore out in like 5 years.

One of my most current lathe projects, was when I made some low speed needles for my Russian 10cc engines so that the carbs would work properly.

Once I made a new fuel cutoff valve for my Harley Sportster's carb. The old one had a groove worn in it on the taper, so i figured what the heck and had a go at making a new part and it actually worked out pretty good, no problems.

I think the hardest thing of all to make for model engines is camshafts for 4 stroke engines. so far that is beyond my capaibilities to make them.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: earlwb

I think the hardest thing of all to make for model engines is camshafts for 4 stroke engines. so far that is beyond my capaibilities to make them.
Not so hard to make own cam for model four stroke. Crankshaft is easy to make, use four jaw chuck.

Buy the books "The Amateur’s Lathe" by L. H. Sparey and "Model 4-Stroke Petrol Engine" by L. C. Mason. These books you need to use lathe and right tools to make engine parts.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
nitroairplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will look into those two books and thank you for all the help.Does anyone have a contact for MarisD as i know that he made a stronger carank for the cox .010.?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitroairplane

Does anyone have a contact for MarisD as i know that he made a stronger carank for the cox .010.?
You could PM him here on the Barton site -

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/pro...wprofile&u=554

Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Does anyone have a contact for MarisD as i know that he made a stronger carank for the cox .010.?
You could PM him here on the Barton site -

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/pro...wprofile&u=554

I've just re-read Maris Disters posting on the Australian Control line forum concerning the suitability of the Cox 010 to diesel conversion and have included the relevant part below.

I have two contributions to
Firstly, I spent yesterday making a stronger crankshaft for my Cox TD 010. See the attached photo. You can see what happened to the original, when subjected to diesel running forces. Be warned. Many tempting glowplug engines will also break when dieselised. I've busted or bent cranks on dieselised Cox Pee Wee 020, Babe Bee 049, Magnum 15, OS 10 FSR etc.

So how did the wee 010 go as a diesel? Incredibly fussy on prime, compression setting etc. Partly due to a good ol' glow engine P/L fit, but I suppose that all tiny diesel engines are a chore. With more perseverence, I'm sure it would run, but is hardly a practical proposition for the FF scale model that I had in mind for it. The crankshaft worked just fine.
So after all the effort of making a new crank he abandoned the project because the Cox didn't dieselise well. This is pretty much what others have suggested above.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 AM
nitroairplane

It is true but i have PM'd him as he is actually on this forum but he has only made one post.But i think i am going to try because most people told me the Pee Wee dieselized badly but it runs much beter as a diesel that it did as a glow.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is true but i have PM'd him as he is actually on this forum but he has only made one post.But i think i am going to try because most people told me the Pee Wee dieselized badly but it runs much beter as a diesel that it did as a glow.
Nitro old chap the odds for success arn't too good.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:56 AM
nitroairplane

I know i am ready for disapointmaent bet i will never know the outcome unless i try and to not know the outcome would hurt me more than the project failing but if the project succeeds i will be very happy.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 AM
nitroairplane

Just tempered my last free .010 crank after two broke after about 3 seconds of running the other 2 were tempered in a kiln this last one i decided to do with a flame.Might have to wait to give this last one a go as i need a new piston and cylinder.