Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Enya 41 4c diesel.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 41 4c diesel.

G'day

I must be mad. I have just agreed to buy an Enya 41 4 stroke diesel. I have been looking at them for years and wondering what they would be like and should I buy one. Well, one just turned up on a certain auction site which shall remain nameless. It was selling for considerably less than the current asking price so I bought it.

I have some experience with diesels and lots with four strokes but none with four stroke diesels. A long time ago, I used to race Super Tigre diesels and more recently I still play with some small ones and I have flown one of my models with an Irvine 40D though not recently.

Now. Does anyone out there have one and is anyone actually using one regularly?

If I have this thing, it is going to get used so I'd be really interested to hear any impressions, stories, disaster stories etc that anyone may have.

I have seen one on a UK website which has now disappeared and I suspect that the gent who had that engine is around here somewhere.

I'd also be interested on fuel suggestions and props.

I gather that you can change the compression in a limited way by adding or removing head shims and that basically, adding propeller load effectively advances the ignition timing and so effectively increases the compression.

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't have it yet but I guess I should have my sticky fingers on it within a week.

Now, what to put it in? Hmmmm..

Mike in Oz

Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Enya 41 4c diesel.

You'll be installing the pushrod covers if they haven't been installed already. When tightening the head screws, check the fit of the piston near TDC after each screw and work your way around until you can get the engine through TDC without it binding too much. Pull the "plug" out of the head while doing this. Mine bound up very tightly at TDC out of the box and after I installed the pushrod covers. I did run it like this, but I was scared I was going to break the rod and put it away. Sometime last year I took it out and retightened the head to my satisfaction. I have not run it yet. The suggested props are fine. There are two or three relevant threads here.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike...I gave this some thought but is not really want to spend the bucks on it. I had 2 ASP 52 4 strks , so sent one to Greg, he decked the cylinder, some work on the head, chopped the push rods, and made a adjustable compression adjuster that went in the glow plug hole, It runs fine on Davis ABC fuel, elctric starter needed, makes some really
loud ignition noise till it warms up then fine good idle , throttle response, 12x6 9600 plus a few. I did not really like the idea of fixed compression and changing head gaskets
for various props on the enya I guess if you get it set up for one prop size its a one time deal. regards martin

I do have a Dymond aircraft a Ford fliver low wing period aircraft with a Saito 56, may pull the Saito and put this in this should do well in this plane
Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can see my Enya diesel doing its stuff here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56TlDkyqErU

Grand little motor.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 AM

I have one and have run it a number of times. Like Greg said tight when new. I have run mine without the valve cover. Easy to start if you follow the instructions. Usually takes 12 to 20 flips of the prop to get going. I ran rich for the first times out with extra castor. Last time leaned it out and no problem. Probably will fly on an old time model. I like it. Jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68762.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1607962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60957.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1607963  
Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are a lucky person, I was thinking about pulling the trigger on that engine. But I got distracted and by the time I got back to look, someone had beaten me to it.
Congratulations on your purchase.

What was the reason Enya left the valve cover off the engine? The pushrod tubes are not installed on it either?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM

G'day everyone.

Earlwb, I think the reason they leave the tappet cover off is to remind the buyer who has not read the instructions to "READ the INSTRUCTIONS" and also as a reminder that this engine is not one you can just fuel and run.

Bogbeagle, I have seen your video several times. It always impresses me - and so does the HAL system. It also impresses me when the model disappears briefly into the clouds on that nice Yorkshire day. It reminds me of flying in Orange, NSW at an altitude of 880 metres (which is a lot for Australia) in winter where the clouds would be very low. We were so keen we would go flying in any weather well rugged up. But the one thing you can't easily rug up is your hands and our fingers would freeze on the transmitters.

To AMB, I wonder if your friend could made a replacement for the dummy glow plug for me which would give some small control over the compression rather than just relying on the head shims and prop choice to get the ignition right?

Jack, thanks for the info. Glad to hear yours runs well. I have a short kit and plan here for a Daliare Sportster. It might just be the sort of model this engine deserves. Or perhaps a small Cub for initial flights.

Thanks everyone. I don't have it yet but will report my fun when I do.

Mike in Oz

Old 05-13-2011, 05:32 PM
My Feedback: (2)

G'day Mike

Greg makes a lanova cell diesel conversion for smaller four strokes. He converted a TT .75 for me. His work is first class. The lanova cell threads in where the glow plug normally is. Compression is raised as well.

Others on this forum have also successfully converted 4 strokes.

This conversion would be a problem for ENYA four strokes as the glow plug orientation is not suitable

A video of my .TT .75t running appears on Greg's website:

www.dieselrc.com

Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM

Mike, Nice idle as you can see in the video. Besides leaving off the valve cover I also left off the push rod tubes. I like to watch the stuff moving. My first 4 stroke. I have not used a starter even on a day with the temps in the 40's F.. I have considered installing a glow plug for the dummy and starting with a battery on the plug. But have not done this yet. Should make starting easier even with lower compression. Something to try. Last couple times out I installed a two foot auto heater hose on the exhast. Keeps the oil off my test stand. Jack
Old 05-13-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried using the glow plug to assist starting ... on several of my conversions.

Works a treat. Well worth doing.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:22 AM

Here are my movies of Enya 4 stroke diesel engine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSi4vzK6sc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTmmTLAsEas&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCSGvyUnU68&NR=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmnMW52WUbk&feature=related[/youtube]

Here is my history about the engine with too low compression: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_54...tm.htm#5493013
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Greg, how is the engine built, is it ringless or ringed? I "played" wtih my ancient high time .46MKII today. I took the head off to see if it is still perfectly flat and it is. When I torqued the head down I torqued it to 9 inch pounds. This is too much, the compression was soft, in fact very soft. I loosened the bolts all around re-torqued to 8 in. lbs still leaky, I then loosened it again and re-torqued it to 7 inch pounds and bingo, very good compression with the torque value being the only change. I checked the .53TN also but did not experiment, I just removed the head and reassembled again using 7 inch pounds. Thanks, Dave
Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 PM

The 41-4CD is ringless iron/steel. That's odd. I've never had any issues with my 46-4C's and I've had at least 6 through my hands. I currently have 3, only two are runners though. I'm doing some awful things to them I won't describe here. I torque all my heads in steps now. First finger tight on all screws, then partial torque and final torque. Tightening the first screw to full torque will not result is equal pressure around the head.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 PM

I hold the head down tight so it stays square with the cylinder and turn the screws down with a ball driver til they gently stop then snug each. Then I torqued them 3, then 5 then 7 in lbs. I always wondered about the bolt gap caused by intake and exhaust port but it seems to work ok. The two screws that are almost across from each other are ones I snug down first, then the one that holds the rocker shaft. Its hard to do genuine cross pattern with 5 screws. My 1.20 AX was like that too.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:21 AM

G'day oily hand people.

My Enya 41 4c diesel turned up a couple of days ago. It looks nice and shiny and new in its box. The one thing I did notice is that the piston is very tight in the bore at the top of the stroke. It is so tight that I have not tried to turn it over TDC yet.

I gather these are lapped iron pistons in steel liners and so should be run in in short runs quite rich initially. Any comments on this?

The only fuel I have at the moment is a commercial fuel to which I have added some IPN. The container does not have any info on what is actually in it. I am going to try to get some ether and make my own but I will probably try to run it on the commercial fuel first. This probably won't happen for a couple of weeks at least.

Thanks to all who commented. I will try to make a video with a small camera I have and post it somehow.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Old 05-20-2011, 04:40 AM

Hey Mike, keep us posted.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 AM

Loosen the head screws and try turning it over. You'll likely find it doesn't bind at all.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:40 PM

I ran my Enya .41 FS diesel recently. Maybe the 5th time on the test stand and still a bit tight. I am breaking it in as we do with iron and steel two stroke diesels of old. I am now using a 3/8 inch auto heater hose so the oil is not on the test stand. Stll takes about 13 to 21 flips of the prop to start. Nedds more time. Jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29994.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1612513  
Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 PM

G'day again.

Well I had a close look at the 41 diesel today. As had been predicted here, the piston was binding quite a lot at the top of the stroke so I loosened the head bolts (star pattern and in two steps) and as predicted, it was almost "nip free". So then I tightened it again in three steps. And it was tight again. I have tried several times and I always end up with it feeling too tight.

Any ideas?

I am doing the tightening in three stages and in a star pattern.

Thanks

Mike in Oz

Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day again.

Well I had a close look at the 41 diesel today. As had been predicted here, the piston was binding quite a lot at the top of the stroke so I loosened the head bolts (star pattern and in two steps) and as predicted, it was almost ''nip free''. So then I tightened it again in three steps. And it was tight again. I have tried several times and I always end up with it feeling too tight.

Any ideas?

I am doing the tightening in three stages and in a star pattern.

Thanks

Mike in Oz

It is normal with "tapered" sleeve by tightening of cylinder head screws due easy to keep compression while the engine is cold and easy to start the engine. With working temperature, the sleeve will be expanded and the piston will go "loose" fit in the sleeve. Nothing to be worried about the piston binding in the sleeve.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 PM

Just tighten each screw a bit and check for binding every time. Star pattern will be a guide but not the solution. By trying here and there I was able to get all of the screws tight without binding the piston.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM

G'day I have it better than it was originally "out of the box" but it is still binding to some extent and not as tight as I would have thought necessary. I will keep experimenting with careful tightening.

Thanks

Mike

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 PM

G'day oily handed people.

I sit here typing this with the smell of burned diesel filling the room. (My wife will want to know what it is when she comes home.)

Anyway, I got brave. I now have the head tightened so there is very little binding and I decided to fire up the beast.

Initially I tried to just use the recommended settings. So I opened the high speed needle 2 turns (1.5 to 2 recommended) and I did not connect the muffler pressure line as the carby has a choke ring in it and as a result the venturi is very small. I primed it by covering the air inlet on the "inlet" stroke and after turning it over to be sure it was not over primed, I flicked. After about 5 flicks it fired. I primed so more and it ran for about half a second. I repeated this several times but it would not start, just run on the prime.

I removed the needle to check and all seemed well.

So then I attached a muffler pressure line and tried again. Again it fired almost immediately and ran briefly. I managed at one stage to flood it and had to remove the "plug" to get rid of the excess fuel.

Next I opened the needle to three turns open, primed and flicked and away she went.

I am using an APC 12 x 6 prop and some fuel which was given to me to use in another small diesel. Probably equal parts with a little IPN.
I opened the throttle to full and ran it rich like this. Lots of oil and fuel was coming out the muffler. She is definitely rich at this setting.

After a couple of minutes running I tried the throttle and was able to slow it with no problems to quite a stable idle. As the revs dropped, she started sounding hard at about 3/4 throttle down to about half but she was totally happy at idle.

I kept her running for about five minutes and before I stopped it I tached it. Best idle was about 2000 and top revs (very rich) was about 7800.

After the one and only run, the piston and liner fit felt a lot nicer. I did notice a few shiny specks in the oil so things are starting to wear into shape.

Oil coming out was dark but not black.

Any comments? What should I be doing differently?

Thanks

Mike in Oz

Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 PM

Mike, with mine I followed the instructions that came with the motor for starting. My first four stroke and I expected trouble. But no problem it starts after about 13 to 20 flips of the prop when cold. I have never tried to start it hot. Jack
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM

G'day

What I did is basically what the instructions say. The only real difference was that I had to open the needle a further turn to get it to continue running.

I have had lots of four strokes but this is the first diesel. I have also had lots of diesels though they were mostly in old control line planes. The one thing you cannot do with this engine is the traditional "wet the side of the piston" prime. That really works with older style diesels but here, it is simply not applicable.

I have generally found that four strokes (glow) are easier to get along with than two strokes. They deadstick less and are less temperamental. I particularly like my Saitos and Lasers for ease of use. Saitos will run quite well almost no matter how badly they are tuned which makes it easy to run them in on an airframe. I usually do about 20 minutes running on the ground then when the engine will idle, I fly it rich. I also usually put my new engines into trainers to run them in and to get used to how they handle. They are all slightly different. Like kids.

What is your 41-4c Diesel in? Is it in a model yet. Bogbeagle has his in a trainer and there are videos of it on UTube. I think mine will start out in a trainer as usual.

I am hoping to have it running well to take it to the Oily Hand Diesel Day at Cowra this August. This is a gathering of diesel lovers from all over New South Wales and some from further afield. I started it several years ago when I lived in Cowra and it is growing bigger every year. It runs over a weekend usually in August. Great fun. Lots of free flight, control line, some old timers and a few regular RC models.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.