Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Fox Eagle III .60 Diesel Conversion

Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Fox Eagle III .60 Diesel Conversion

Considering the placement of the head bolts outside the phlange on top of the cylinder we need to think of the bolts effect as a short lever pulling up on the OD of cylinder, (block) pushing down on the ID. Too tight and we distort the cylinder in a pattern that matches the bolt pattern. On larger engines we use torque plates to duplicate the head being in place and the head polts at their proper torque. We don't have that luxury with our little engines. I use the torque wrench you see in some of my pictures for this reason and torque Fox big blocks to 9 inch pounds. I settled on 9 inch pounds because the bolts don't turn beyond where they were at 8 inch pounds. There is no leaking at 9 inch pounds so I take that as good enough.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 PM
earlwb

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the Fox engine has a thick cylinder wall and a large flange on top. So if you manage to overtighten the screws somehow, if there is any distortion it is limited to that very top edge of the cylinder and it wouldn't propagate down further into the cylinder. it looks like Fox thought about that when he designed the engine years ago.
The portion of the cylinder from TDC to the top of the ports is the high wear section and the actual highest wear place is right at the top of where the ring would stop at down maybe 1/4 of a inch. Below that point the piston is running at around its highest speed down to near BDC where it slows down again. So it really begins to look like that part where the blowby marks are showing is very highly worn out more and the ring is weak and has developed a wavy pattern to it, maybe a poorly fitted ring gap didn't help it any. There may have been some poorly done cylinder honing in the past and that didn't help it out any.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 AM
Hobbsy

Good thoughts Earl.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 AM
DarZeelon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earl,

I don't think I understand the next to last photo in your first post...

The top of the block seems to be completely chewed-up! It somehow does not seem like aluminium foil...

In the bottom photo, everything seems OK, though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74306.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	1654725  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Hobbsy

Dar, that is excess aluminum foil from which they made a head shim, it looks like they just stuffed the excess in the gap between the head and cylinder block.

PS, Dar, a picture of our source of electricity for the last 3 days. Irene hit in great sheets or waves, I just happened to catch the beginning of a big gust of wind and heavy rain.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46398.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1654726  
Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 AM
DarZeelon

David,

I thought that's what it was, but its appearance is rather ...er... chewed-up...

I have a high-school friend living with her kids in Long Island NY... She had her basement flooded, but no other damage.
I guess Irene lost some of its force, before getting there.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 AM
controlliner

I have seen this pattern before when cylinder liners were broached out to diameter and then honed to finish. I have a magnum FS30 that has similar pattern on the liner.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Hobbsy

I just ran my newer Fox Eagle 4 .60 with a Davis head and a Graupner 14x7, this engine is probably not broken in yet as flipping compression is a little soft yet. I ran it about 30 minutes at 3,500 to 5,800 rpm, at the 30 minutes I opened the throttle all the way. I had to richen the mixture a little and increase the compression, it tops out at precisely 7,000, the 14x7 may be a bit much. I used a stock tilt down muffler which doesn't sound bad as a Diesel. Fuel was Davis ABC mix. Idle without too much time spent was 1,725.