Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Club ED

Old 03-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Dieseltinus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.shapeways.com/product/U4C...ed-hunter-mkiv
Old 03-31-2018, 08:24 PM
john mantova

Smile Sloppy gudgeon pin

Originally Posted by gerryndennis View Post
Noisy and oily is right.

An old modelling friend of mine has been slowly getting rid of his extensive collection of engines on the bay, and decided that I needed a couple of diesels so sent me home with a suitably lightened wallet and a couple of engines that 'every modeller should have'. A Mills .75 and two Racers.

One of the Racers (RA1094 would that be Jan 1954?) has done very little running and is in pretty good condition. It also has a loose piston pin and one of the bridges between the exhaust and transfer ports broken out of the liner. I presume one led to the other.

The other one (RD86 Apr 56?) has been well used with faded anodising, bodged up tommy bar, prop driver, and spinner, missing the prop washer, and with the exhaust completely filed off. I guess it's done some time in a team racer. The piston has a reasonable score in it and the compression isn't great but the engine runs OK I think. Well starts OK most of the time (other times it's quite bitey, I'm just a beginner at this diesel stuff) and turns a 9X6 Master at about 8800.

So transfer the old piston and liner into the good engine and I hopefully have a reasonable engine for a vintage radio assist model. I'm thinking either a KK Junior 60 or KK Super Scorpion. I'll only fly the Racer on the odd special occasion though (that noise thing aqain), the rest of the time the model will fly with a DDD OS 20 FP. I suppose I could use the newish piston (with the loose pin) in the old (but not broken) liner, but I have no idea if it's possible to tighten up the gudgeon pin or if you can swap pistons and liners.

Thanks for the video Fiery, what size prop and RPM are you getting?

Also what fuel do you use?

I'm using 20% Klotz castor, 30% ether, and 1% ignition improver. I'm thinking 10X5 or 10X4 prop might work on the vintage model (one of the club crusty old bug aaah, veteran modellers seems to think they might have used 8X8's team racing)

Oh you're right about the character too.

Dave H
Re the loose gudgeon / piston pin. Either turn a new one (have one turned or source one from another make. If too long easily filed/ground down/ If O/size dia. ream the piston to fit. Wheelspin models might be able to help. Can I suggest on e from something like an O.S. 40 Electronic Calipers from Bang Good are cheap and will give you correct measurements. I would offer to do this but I'm not able to walk properly at the moment so can't lift my feet up into the shed. Just Engines is another source too and PAW can be very helpful as well Just a half to one thou thicker should do it.Even turning a thicker one down isn't too hard using a drill and emery boards ..Regards John Mantova

Last edited by john mantova; 03-31-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Additional script
Old 04-01-2018, 09:33 AM
john mantova

I just replied in a quote to Mr dennis but I can say here that I have a Mk 2 Bee the only ED I have but have a few old engines including a pair of J.B Atoms ,an Amco .87 cc needing a complete carb ,venturi assy Elfin !.8. Various Allbon /Dc s from Javelin down to 3 Darts( and a Bantam glow) I won't list all the others. Too far of topic. Re
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 AM
john mantova

I was led to believe that the shorter engines were developed for the glow headed versions to maintain the compression in light of the removal of a contra piston. Just a shorter cylinder with same rod and stroke. Sounds possible .This was later adopted for the sparkie too.. Then to standardize production it was adopted for the diesel version too.with a shorter rod. How much of this is correct I cannot say with any degree of certainty. It was related to me by a former machinist of E.D. so i'm at least half inclined to accept it.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:59 PM
kraus1

My first engine was an ED Hornet, 1.46cc. The Hornet was a very good engine. Later ED brought out the twin BB 1.46cc Fury then the 1.49cc Super Fury. However the Hornet was probably the best. Certainly the Hornet in my current collection is at least the equal of my Fury.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:17 PM
kraus1

It's a Series 2 Racer, with the stiffening webs on the front. The Series 3 had a bigger diameter front and the Series 4 was aluminium instead of magnesium.