Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Sharma 2.5

Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 AM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharma 2.5

Feeling lazy yesterday, I only put lines on the Peacemaker - powered by the Sharma.

This was the first time I'd used it in anger, after getting it from Martin. I gave it a short burst in the pits to make sure I had nearly got the settings.

Once it was warmed up I took it out for a fly. What a nice thing. The model didn't have the snap it had when powered by a Rustler Olly, but it flew really nice relaxed maneuvers. Flew out the whole tank and landed. I inspected the exhaust oil and found it was a bit overcompressed, not that it sounded laboured, it simply flew around. Over the next couple of flights I kept reducing the comp. Again with no noticable change in the running sound, but ever lightening oil residue.

Overall, a nice motor with no vices. Almost instant starts, plenty of power and tunes over a wide range.

Fuel was 25% castor, 30% ether and 45% KCB Kero. 1.4% IPN added after the fuel mixed.

Thanks Martin

Greg
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sharma 2.5

Greg glad all turned out well, I never ran it, combat tuned?? the box said, well do not know about that that , not a PAW, but the Curry kings did a pretty fair job on it
my 09 Sharma is a nice runner plow horse .not a polo pony, martin
The sharmas production dates 1975 or before
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Diesel Die-hard

Sharma actually got into the model engine biz in 1974, when they made a batch of engines for the national Cadet Corps in India. Prior to that, they were in the business of making hydraulic equipment. They're still going strong today, 39 years later.

I've been using Sharma engines for many years now, having been one of their earliest customers in North America.  I think I was the first person in my area to win a vintage combat contest using a Sharma 15.  As a result, a lot of others in my area started using them. I still receive a Christmas card every year from Mr. Sharma on the strength of that effort!!

I don;t fly vintage combat any more in competition (don;t have time to keep up with the model carnage rate!!), but I still have a self-tuned  Sharma 15 in a Chaos combat wing just for fun flying.  Great engine - at least as good as the PAW opposition.

Happy New Year to one and all!!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM
AMB

Mr Sharma is a fine gentleman, one of mine had a very tight barrel in the RC carb, contacted him apologized for my issue, sent me a new RC carb, and even added a few props got them in about 10-12 days to US martin
Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Where can a Sharma diesel be purchased these days? JustEngines used to stock them. They seem to have been dropped as a stocked line.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM
AMB

Fiery Indeed strange with Just Engines NO DIESELS offered they had PAW for a long time also, think they replaced with the Sharma line, when Paul Landels passed it was the end of diesel for them they even had heads for the JEN line of engines ( I have a couple JENS with diesel heads martin
Old 12-30-2012, 03:28 PM
SGC

Fiery,
Carlsons was selling Sharma diesels , you might give him a ring to see what the status is.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Diesel Die-hard

You can also buy them directly from Sharma, who are totally OK to deal with  As Martin says, Mr. Sharma is a really fine person. Just google their site at Sharma Model Aero Engines.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 PM
AMB

Here is the rest of the family 09, 15, 19 all r/c carbs exhaust rings are PAW, still have to install the one on the 19 a slight file job had to be done on the rear edge of the bottom fin for a fit to clear the stack need to make gaskets for the 19 ring or pick up a couple of PAW ones
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32644.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1835263  
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 AM
gossie

How do the 1.5/09 plain bearing Shama's go? Are they easy to start and run well?

I may buy a 1.5 non RC version for our OZ Diesel???????
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 AM
greggles47

Gossie,

Seeing it's based on the PAW 1.5 I would guess that it would perform around about the same as the PAW.

My 2.5 has good fits but it's no light weight. For one of those FF models of yours it may need a slimming program. With your shorter engine runs it may not be too drastic an operation.

Looking on the Sharma site list the 1.5 as 118g. Probably not too bad.

The price looks about right

Good luck mate. and Happy New Year.

G
Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 AM
AMB

Gossie the one page instruction sheet quite brief states up 16000 on 1.5-15000 on 2.5 and 3.2 ( plain bearing) Do they make a bb version???? doubt it

also stated all engines bench run for 5 minutes at up to 12000 and plane ready

props 1.5 7x4,8x4
2.5 -8x6 9x4 9x6 all props glass filled nylon

3.2 8x6 9x4 9x6

fuel kero 40% ether 30% castor oil 27-30% IPN 2-3% new engine no less the 30% oil, broken in no less than 25% less than 25% lowers engine life

www.sharmamodelaero.com e mail [email protected] martin

At least they test run like PAW .do not think this happens on the China built stuff half would never make it out the door
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 AM
gossie

Thanks guys re. Sharma 1.5 info. I just might look into getting one from Mr Sharma.

Sorry for late reply, but just got home from our F/F Nats in Narrendera.......very hot, 40 to 44c and very windy. I finally got to win Open Power having entered many Nats since Traralgon in 1956. Was very hard work. Used a Rossi 15 Normale in an old F1C all sheet model. Also got 3rd in Open Rubber.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 AM
steve111

Congratulations Gossie! Was that the Rossi that was being run at Old Phartz last year?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
greggles47

A very large congratulations to Gossie, 56 years trying to win an event, now that's perseverance.

Well done mate!!

Greg
Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow it only took me 30 to win P-30 at our Nats just finished.............

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Congratulations, you must be delighted. Persistence has been rewarded.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM
AMB

GREAT most would give up after `10 tries or so DETERMINATION PAYS OFF martin
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM
gossie

Thanks VERY much guys, and yes I do feel very good about it, BUT I could not have done it without the help of Tahn Stowe insisting he chase it on the last flight, as the previous flights had gone a long long way and the terrain at Narrendera is in a word awful. It was one of the toughest Nats I have ever done.
Also one of the other guys had 2 X 180s up and could have had first place had he flown well in the last round, but he was so pooped out he collapsed in his car and refused to fly or have help with his last flight.

I must say though when arriving home after a 15 hour drive my elation was at a very high level, and my Wife Joan whom some of you know was very happy for me as she knows how tough it all can be having been many times to Nationals, Trans Tasmans and World Champs when I've made the teams, but after a few minutes she told me to go check the emails as John Buskell our good friend fron Canada had sent that Stafford Screen had passed away......I knew Stafford from WC days and he was a top guy and I felt quite devistated, but of course when I got onto the web sites I belong to it got worse saying George Fuller had gone and Kenny Oliver in the States as well. I bought good pans for Rossi's back in the '70s from Kenny..........It was all a big shock.

The model I used was built in 1993 for F1C on 7 seconds engine runs. It's all sheet wing, 'glass boom fuselage and good Rossi.....turns 28+, on the nose. I have three models very much the same, but this one is super reliable......no trimming or testing needed.......in the wind as it was I just fired it up and pushed it away. It's won and placed in many contests over the years, and Chris you may remember I came over to NZ with it in late '96 and flew it near Taupo in your FAI comps. It won but you guys would not give the trophy to take back home to OZ but promised my name would be on it. It was a lovely time away though with the Bain's and Magil's at Taupo etc.

The Rossi in the model I had at Sawtell at the O P Steve is a VERY VERY fast one turning 29+ on the ground, but I had no chance in the conditions to give it a couple of flights first.

Ok, back to diesel business now.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
ffkiwi

Yes Howard we have a standing rule here in NZ that no Nationals trophies leave the country. A fair enough rule considering the difficulty we sometimes have of getting them back even from people who live here! A similar situation just occurred at our Nats with a Czech flier winning some of the R/C glider classes, but he was given a miniature to keep. I went down to Kirwee with the 'Champion club' and 'F1A glider' trophies in the car to return for other people who weren't attending the 65th Nats, and somehow came back with the 'Vintage Glider Duration' 'Vintage Power Duration' and 'P-30 trophies'-none of which I'd had before..........I don't mind the trophies-but their wooden transportation boxes can be an utter pain when you're pushed for space............

Sadly we lost the use of the site at Taupo many years ago-the last time I can recall flying there would have been 1998-only a couple of years after you flew there.
ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 01-07-2013, 04:54 PM
AMB

AN ENDURANCE FOR THE PILOTS TOO.
horrid hot weather amazing you guys could do this and still stand and run , tough chaps down there martin
Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
ffkiwi

yes-you don't tend to find very many fat FFers at competitive levels-they're generally lean and desiccated from all the running around and retrieving ;-)...........actually we had a serious incident about a decade ago at Omarama during the Trans Tasman when one of the visiting Australian team members (now deceased-his initials were WG....that's enough of a clue for gossie) was found downwind in a confused and distressed state. Fortunately one of the NZ team members was a medical doctor and after initially suspecting a mild stroke, we worked out that he was suffering from serious dehydration-always a risk to FFers in hot dry conditions and long retrievals (and it was windy that day).........

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM
ffkiwi

ORIGINAL: gossie

T It's won and placed in many contests over the years, and Chris you may remember I came over to NZ with it in late '96 and flew it near Taupo in your FAI comps. It won but you guys would not give the trophy to take back home to OZ but promised my name would be on it. It was a lovely time away though with the Bain's and Magil's at Taupo etc.

....on reflection Howard , its been quite a few years since any Kiwi flew F1C other than at the Omarama WC events-and I haven't seen the Nationals F1C and NIFFC F1C trophies out and about for years. Next time I do, I'll check if your name is on it............

We faced an awkward situation this year's Nats with Combined events-FAI, Open and Mini-and how to award trophies for the various categories in the merged categories-in theory you could have won a trophy by coming last-if you were the only competitor flying that category of model within the overall combined class event-and that simply isn't how it should be, and devalues the trophy!

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM
gossie

I did suggest "Back to diesel" but you guys keep talking.......and it seems there's only one better "talker" than me over here, so I was told at the just done Nats.......no names, no pack drill. LOL.

I do fully understand regarding the trophies, and was perfectly happy just to have my name on it.........you might confirm please Chris if that did happen. I remember Rex telling me Taupo was done too......shame really because it was big.
The trophies over here mostly have all gone missing as well. We feel people pass on and they just get tossed in the skip.

I do well remember the incident you speak off at Omarama that year. From memory the Aussie person involved was fishing and drowned later on......is that who you are talking about????? I know the NZ Dr. and always found him an okay guy.

Sound like you had a pretty good Nats Chris.......well done, keep up the good work.

I'm afraid FF over here is dying art.......there were not a lot at our Nats regardless of weather conditions, and most people in their 60s or 70s or more. I can't see any young guns taking over here so as it stands it's going to be all over I guess in about 10 years.......quite a shame, but what can you do?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
ffkiwi

ORIGINAL: gossie

I do fully understand regarding the trophies, and was perfectly happy just to have my name on it.........you might confirm please Chris if that did happen. I remember Rex telling me Taupo was done too......shame really because it was big.
The trophies over here mostly have all gone missing as well. We feel people pass on and they just get tossed in the skip.

Some of our trophies are 65 years old, having been donated for awarding at the 1st NZ Nationals in 1948. Even the Payload trophy-which I've won several times over the years, was donated by Pan Am in 1950. You can see why we're concerned they don't leave the country-they're part of our competition history. Even internally, some go missing for extended periods........there is a strong suspicion that at least one-the Peanut Trophy, donated by Eta Foods in the 70's was subsequently melted down for its gold content, but nothing was ever proved-and Eta were persuaded to donate a replacement, which I believe is gold free.............

I do well remember the incident you speak off at Omarama that year. From memory the Aussie person involved was fishing and drowned later on......is that who you are talking about????? I know the NZ Dr. and always found him an okay guy.

Indeed it WAS the same Aussie individual Howard, and we were lucky to have Dr K with us. Its not the only occasion we've needed his help on the flightline for a medical issue......

Sound like you had a pretty good Nats Chris.......well done, keep up the good work.

Not too bad-but a lot of damage to repair-we had awful winds in the first two days-and one lost model to replace..............

I'm afraid FF over here is dying art.......there were not a lot at our Nats regardless of weather conditions, and most people in their 60s or 70s or more. I can't see any young guns taking over here so as it stands it's going to be all over I guess in about 10 years.......quite a shame, but what can you do?

Same here-just enjoy it, you can't stop the inevitable trend, so bow out gracefully or disgracefully depending on preference...............

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.