Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Ingredients for diesel fuel

Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ingredients for diesel fuel

The best easy to get quality kero available in Australia (KCB brand light gray) may be about to change, just like "Diggers light grey" did a quite a few years ago.

I understood that all the good local stuff comes from the Shell Refinery in Geelong Victoria, which is set to stop all production and simply become a depot for foreign imports..

I'm beginning to stockpile the four litre containers of KCB now in expectation of a sudden drop in quality.

On the topic of Shell products, I was in a local Carting supply shop yesterday getting a fresh supply of Nitro, and noticed Litre containers of Shell M-30 enhanced Castor.

Anyone tried it?

Yes, I know it doesn't mix with Mineral Oil but it will with Ether.

Ray

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15393.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1891378  
Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 PM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ingredients for diesel fuel

Ray,

The last batch of KCB I got was the vivid blue, that Diggers went to when the quality went down.

It works fine for sport, I don't know how it performs under race conditions.

G
Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 PM
qazimoto

Ah!

We're still getting the lighter coloured stuff in Newcastle.

It might happen quicker than I'd anticipated.

Ray
Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Ray

I am a motorcyclist. I try the different castor base lubricants stocked in 'serious' cycle shops. I picked up some Shell Racing M castor based oil a few years ago. It looked the same as Castrol R 30.

It worked fine in my MVVS 49. It left a nice 'white plume' exhaust trail when running. It also had a good odour. However the exhaust residue was dark brown. I'd say due to the red dye in the oil. It stained the covering, unlike standard 1st pressing castor. So, I went back to that for the castor component in my model engine fuels.

Fuchs Castorene R 30 seems to be very much the same as Castrol R 30. The Shell and Fuchs oils are also expensive compared to the castor we buy in 5 litre packs.

They do the job. However for the above reasons I won't be trying them again.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: fiery

Ray

I am a motorcyclist. I try the different castor base lubricants stocked in 'serious' cycle shops. I picked up some Shell Racing M castor based oil a few years ago. It looked the same as Castrol R 30.

It worked fine in my MVVS 49. It left a nice 'white plume' exhaust trail when running. It also had a good odour. However the exhaust residue was dark brown. I'd say due to the red dye in the oil. It stained the covering, unlike standard 1st pressing castor. So, I went back to that for the castor component in my model engine fuels.

Fuchs Castorene R 30 seems to be very much the same as Castrol R 30. The Shell and Fuchs oils are also expensive compared to the castor we buy in 5 litre packs.

Staining isn't good!

What sort of a finish was it, Film or paint?

I could understand it staining the former.

I don't use a lot of the enhanced castor so the price isn't a real issue. A few diesels run much better on them in the lower percentages

e.g. Nelson diesels on less than 15%, and I'm told that the Fora Junior rod problems disappear on less than that..

I did have a quart of the Fuchs Castor years ago, and was impressed by it's superiority over the normal r/c castor.

Regrettably the bike shop where it was available closed and moved on, and I haven't seen it since.

Ray
Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: fiery

Ray

Staining isn't good!

What sort of a finish was it, Film or paint?

I could understand it staining the former.

I don't use a lot of the enhanced castor so the price isn't a real issue. A few diesels run much better on them in the lower percentages

e.g. Nelson diesels on less than 15%, and I'm told that the Fora Junior rod problems disappear on less than that..

I did have a quart of the Fuchs Castor years ago, and was impressed by it's superiority over the normal r/c castor.

Regrettably the bike shop where it was available closed and moved on, and I haven't seen it since.

I'd forgotten about how nice castor can smell. We used to put a tea spoon of it in our Mini Coopers to make them smell like the racing ones which used castor in the sump/gearbox.

Ray

Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Profilm.

It stained, as in, would not clean off. Even with normal clean-up spray such as 'spray'n'wipe'.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine came came Brodak Qt about $15.00, he is the big c/l suppler here in the USA. the drug stores have USP grade (pure no sugar) but they charge about $2.50 for a 2 oz bottle

martin

Post note I usally use Davis fuels his standard and 1/2A they run any engine I have 1/2 A and up thru 90s but sometimes run out and make a batch, for such events I have a stash of castor. John Deere starting fluid. amsoil cetane booster, K-1 kero, Klotz synthetic oil ,Brodak castor
I do not think Aerodyne or Red max still have diesel fuel in production