Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

What is the lowest temperature that I can use my Diesel engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

What is the lowest temperature that I can use my Diesel engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM
franchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the lowest temperature that I can use my Diesel engines?

HI:

I have deceided to get all of my Diesel powered planes out to fly this Summer. How warm does it need to be to ensure that I may be able to start these things easily? The daily temps are reaching the 55 degree F area. Is this hot enought to have easy starting!

Tia,

Franchi
Old 04-03-2014, 02:52 PM
gossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've started diesels without a problem with frost on the ground. Are you mixing appropriate fuel for the engine, and using it fresh? In fact diesel fuel stored properly in glass bottles with a metal cap and kept in a cool dark place lasts a long time.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:04 PM
[email protected]

I have run diesels as low as a bit below freezing with no problems. All were vintage type diesels with compression adjustments. A Drone diesel with fixed compression I had trouble with temps in the 40's. Jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Valkyrie 5.4 cc diesel.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	532.4 KB
ID:	1983834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Letmo 2.5 cc diesel (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	1983835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enya Diesel 1cc(2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	1983836   Click image for larger version

Name:	GB with fuel filter.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	1983837  
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM
[email protected]

BB Drone with fixed compression. Jack

Name:	th_Drone FC.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1983838  
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 PM
123Cat

I take a small Thermos flask of boiling water and pour over the cylinder , to get it warm ,

It starts easier this way

and if it does not start I pour it on my hand for the pain
Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 PM
brokenenglish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Franchi, This is a non-problem.

As stated by Jack and Gossie above, diesels can be run OK down to any temperature in which you'd want to go flying, and probably even below that.
I've posted photos here before of running old diesels in the snow.

Obviously, as for normal running, it's better if you have a good engine! Don't waste your time on rubbish engines that wouldn't run easily even on a warm day!
Basically, that means stay away from Russian and Chinese...

So first you have to pick an engine that's an easy starter anyway.
If you intend to operate down to freezing temperatures, mix up a fuel with a bit more ether (50 to 60%). After that, you won't have any problems.

I run fixed compression engines a lot so, when it's very cold, I just use fixed compression fuel.

Apologies to the others, but here's my Speed Demon again, running at around 35°F (2°C). It starts immediately, really in one or two flicks, using fixed compression fuel.

I wanted to do a video of running in the snow, this last winter, but we had a very mild winter, and no snow!

Name:	Speed Demon_2.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	1983949  
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warm water (from a thermos) in a plastic bag can be wrapped around the engine to help with the start. Temperatures around freezing are fine, but below that I have problems with flying. Even with thin gloves I feel like I loose the feeling on the sticks. I haven't tried the "gloves" for the whole transmitter though, but others seem to like them...
Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 AM
franchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great news. It started right up at 45DegreesF

Hi Gang:

I could not wait any longerand went to the garqge to try to start my S.T. G20/.15D.

I filled the tank, choked the engine until the fuel came up to the nva, choked two more turns of the propeller and flipped. It fired and then died due to being too lean and undercompressed, I opened the nv and increased the compression about 1/4 turn, dropped one drop of fuel into the venturi and on the first flip, it started! I ran the fuel tank dry on an 8X6 MAS whie running the engine rich with a reduced compression setting.

I forgot to hit the prop like the TR boys do. I was told that this is the way one starts a Diesel. I will try to rember to hit it very hard the next time that run this engine.

This engine will be mounted in a full size Flite Streak and I will use 52' lines. It should be a lot of fun!

Thanks for all of your replies.

Stay well my friends,

Franchi
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM
[email protected]

Franchi, you post brings back memories. I flew a full size Flite Streak with the O. S. .15 diesel from the late 1950's. No landing gear just hand launch and a good flying model. I used 52 foot lines due to small field. Sure it would do well with 60 foot lines. I remember flying it in the 1962 Winter at Good Fellow Air Force Base near San Angelo, Texas. The first time I flew in cold conditions. In the 1950's only flew when school was out. Stationed in Hawaii 1966 to 1969 and flew another Flite Streak with a Webra mach II .15 diesel. Also no landing gear and both built light in weight. I had a Super Tigre .15 diesel at the time but did not use it on a Flite Streak. As I remember the Super Tigre had more power. Jack