Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Mineral oil for Diesel use?

Old 12-24-2014, 08:07 AM
franchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mineral oil for Diesel use?

Hi All:

Can I use mineral oil 50 sae weight for lube in my Diesel fuel? What would be the down side of doing this?

Tia,

Franchi

Last edited by franchi; 12-24-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:15 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

10 SAE or 20 at the max would be better. 50 weight would not get into the tight spots and would leave bare spots.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:43 AM
franchi

Default Mineral oil for Diesel fuel.

Hi Hobbsy:

Thanks for the reply.

I do not think that SAE 50 weight would be a problem as a lube for a Diesel fuel mix. The orginal instructions for the fuel mix for the famed Deezil called for 70 wt. motor oil. I never found 70 weight motor oil! Lol What is is SAE rating for Castor Oil?

After motor oil is mixed with deher and kerosene, what would the viscosity be? I did study motor oils a bit during my life and I found that there is a large amount of misinformation regarding them.

Stay well my friend,

Franchi
Old 12-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I inherited an old Russian diesel that was only ever run on heavy weight mineral oil (not sure what weight it was but probably it too was about 70wt mono grade) but it was extremely coked up and honestly, if you had a choice why would you use a bituminous based oil in a combustion chamber anyway?

I am fairly certain my Polish donor could only get oil commonly sourced from trucks, used it and thought nothing of it as it does undoubtedly work - but how well?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:11 PM
ffkiwi

No problem with it at all-I've used a variety of mineral 2-stroke oils in diesels over the years with no ill effects-including Castrol 2-stroke oil, and outboard motor oil. Bear in mind that in the 50s and 60s in the UK, there were multiple suppliers of ready mixed diesel fuel-DC ans ED had their own branded range, as did Frog (made by BP), while Mercury Models and Kielkraft had a wide range of diesel and glow mixes.There were normally two ranges of diesel blends-an economy range, based on a mineral oil lubricant, and a premium range using castor-so mineral oil based diesel was extensively used for general and sport flying. I would hesitate to use it in a team racer.....but that's extreme usage conditions by anyones standards-where the better qualities of castor or one of the super synthetics-A747 for example-give a distinct edge-but for everyday mild use-mineral oil certainly still has a place in diesel mixes-and particularly so on scale models-where castor fuel exhaust residue eventually has deleterious effects on the finish after a time...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 01-04-2015, 06:02 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris has nailed it.

Instructions for the Allbon Javelin (an early '50's 1.49 cc English diesel) state as follows:

" ... the correct fuel must be used in any diesel engine if proper performance is to be obtained.

Modellers wishing to mix their own fuels can use either of the following formulae:-

1. 30% SAE 70 mineral lubricating oil

40% Diesel oil

30% Ether

(add 2% Amyl Nitrite to this mixture if available).

2. 30% Castor base lubricating oil

35% Ether

35% Paraffin (Burning oil)

(add 2% Amyl Nitrite to this mixture if available).
Old 01-05-2015, 01:05 AM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Castrol M is rated 50 SAE, sadly no longer available but is a useful guide to other castor oils.